StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how much of theses two bikes are identical outside of the engine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
and here we go

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
They use the same main frame casting but different steel rear subframes. The 650 has a slightly longer wheelbase due to a longer swingarm.

The Vee has
A cartridge fork, allowing separate compression and rebound damping settings, though not a well set up example of one
Rubber mounted handlebars
A hydraulically activated clutch
A tendency to get clutch chudder with basket wear
Not as good a fuel map
A chain adjustment system that has the adjuster welded to the swingarm and a few have had that weld crack
A slightly longer shock with the gas and oil separated by a piston
A possible sprocket alignment problem that may wear rear sprocket carrier cush rubbers out earlier
More power
A scissor gear camshaft drive that makes valve shims easier to replace but also a rare possibility of gear breakage
User adjustable idle speed in all years
Dual exhausts

The Wee has
A simple, cheap damper rod fork, requiring the same compression and rebound damping settings
Solid mounted handlebars
A cable actuated clutch
A chain adjustment system that has the adjuster held in the swingarm by the axle and adjuster bolt
A slightly shorter shock with the gas and oil mixed in one chamber
Less power
A direct chain camshaft drive that makes valve shims significantly harder to replace
User adjustable idle speed 2004-2006 but computer controlled idle speed from 2007 on
2 into 1 exhaust
ABS available as an option beginning in 2007 but mandatory in later models with the year dependent on the country

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
You are a good man Pat, I would of course just say "search/browse the forum or Google is your friend". ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts