StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions as to what problems this would cause. She ran fine 5 hrs home from this incident. A week later she would run and act up occasionally sputtering and backfiring. Another week and she cranks and starts briefly but dies immediately. Im guessing the key chain float I have on the key wasn't big enough to keep from sinking my bike. 馃槈

Registered
if it ran 5 hours home, and any water got in the oil, you'd have a whipped froth. Good to hear you don't have that.

If it were me, I would remove what I could (tupperware, seat, tank, air box etc....) and attack every wire connector with a vengeance. Dry 'em. Clean 'em. Lube with penetrating oil.

When I bought my Vee, the previous owner had the key on a float. I never knew why. Hmmmmmm.

Registered
Dielectric grease would be another option, for the connectors.

For the gas tank, maybe run a little fuel line antifreeze through the system when it gets running again? (Or some other kind of fuel system drier)

Registered
I would start with taking the seat, gas tank, and as much easy plastic off as I could find, then parking it out in the sun on a nice, breezy, low humidity day.

Then start taking connectors apart and looking for wet. Check under the spark plug boots.

Registered
Do you get any messages displayed on the dash ??

Registered
Another thing to try would be a handheld, battery powered leaf blower, if you have access to one, to blow-dry some stuff before taking it all apart. 18 volt, 40 volt, something like that. Or maybe it would be better to wait with that so you can see where all the moisture is, I'm not sure. But it may or may not help it start and run for more than a split second...

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing to try would be a handheld, battery powered leaf blower, if you have access to one, to blow-dry some stuff before taking it all apart. 18 volt, 40 volt, something like that. Or maybe it would be better to wait with that so you can see where all the moisture is, I'm not sure. But it may or may not help it start and run for more than a split second...
Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
if it ran 5 hours home, and any water got in the oil, you'd have a whipped froth. Good to hear you don't have that.

If it were me, I would remove what I could (tupperware, seat, tank, air box etc....) and attack every wire connector with a vengeance. Dry 'em. Clean 'em. Lube with penetrating oil.

When I bought my Vee, the previous owner had the key on a float. I never knew why. Hmmmmmm.
Thank you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I have pulled all the plastic the tank and radiator. I used electric cleaner spray, compressed air and dielectric grease on all plugs large and small. Now the FI light blinks with FI in the display in normal mode and no codes in dealer mode. Bike starts and runs for a second then dies. I really appreciate the suggestions from the community.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I also pulled the spark plugs (iridium) cleaned them and cleared the drain holes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts