StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 v-twin and I want to ride the Tail of the Dragon next month. Trouble is I am not sure about the suspension history. I do know it had been lowered about 2inches. I am setting it back up to level but how can I assess the suspension is doing what it is supposed to as well as it can.

In particular - when curving on the highway (either a ramp or highspeed curve) I feel as though the suspension doesn't react well to bumps. I don't think it absorbs them properly and I don't think they release properly.

But how am I to know - since this is the newest bike I have owned. we had bikes in highschool but I am only a few years back in and I am 58.

I am in Toronto if you want to recommend a great suspension shop.

Thanks
Jim N

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
You don't need any special tools other than the service manual. Regular old tools will work.

If the springs are original, they are probably due for replacement. New fluid, and might as well do seals while you're in there. The Vee should soak up bumps just fine.

If the steering head bearing needs doing, this would be the time. (That job does require a special socket but you can make your own if you buy a cheap socket and grind it to shape.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Getting it back to stock height will make a big difference. How much do you weigh and how many miles on the bike? Also, do not forget about the rear shock, it is just as important for ride quality as the front forks since they work together.

I would get the oem dog bones back on it, set the Sag and proper tire air pressure and ride it a bit before making any changes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had a 1000 that was lowerd 2", and found the previous owner had bottomed the tire out against the rear inner fender repeatedly. 2" is too much....get it back to stock, then decide if the suspension is wanky.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys - I thought I would automatically be subscribed to a thread I post in. My mistake. I started another thread because when I measured my springs they were 17" (should be 17.4) so I ordered some springs.

THanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Something weird is going on if you're not auto-subscribed to your very own threads. The site has been glitchy for the past while.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'd also replace the bushings while you're in there. My forks were riding a little harsh, not reacting to small bumps, I could see the front of the bike moving up and down instead of the front wheel. I replaced bushings and was back to normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts