StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 02 V in May and just completed a 1200 mile road trip. While I love the bike, I have decided I have to do something about the front suspension. The brake dive is an absolute killer, especially coming from a sport bike.

What is the best suspension set up for my year? (Yes, I have used google custom search and read most posts in the suspension forum). Using the Sonic calculator, I know I need 1.0 kg springs. But what about valving? I have seen a lot of posts about gold valves and intimators, but I have not seen these available for my year. Also, I have seen a lot of opinions about oil, from 2.5w to 15w.

I assume I should change fork seals when I do the work as a preventive measure.

Fwiw, I am about 200 lbs and ride fairly aggressively. Keeping up with super sports and a multistrada is somewhat challenging on the stock suspension.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I purchased an 02 V in May and just completed a 1200 mile road trip. While I love the bike, I have decided I have to do something about the front suspension. The brake dive is an absolute killer, especially coming from a sport bike.

What is the best suspension set up for my year? (Yes, I have used google custom search and read most posts in the suspension forum). Using the Sonic calculator, I know I need 1.0 kg springs. But what about valving? I have seen a lot of posts about gold valves and intimators, but I have not seen these available for my year. Also, I have seen a lot of opinions about oil, from 2.5w to 15w.

I assume I should change fork seals when I do the work as a preventive measure.

Fwiw, I am about 200 lbs and ride fairly aggressively. Keeping up with super sports and a multistrada is somewhat challenging on the stock suspension.

Thanks for the help.
Go with 0.95 springs instead of the 1.00s. The Strom's have a bit of extra travel compared to most street bike, so you should derate a touch from what the calculator says.

7.5w oil for general touring and commuting rider, 10w if you're more sport riding focused. Slide the tubes up in the triples so that 10-12mm of tube is showing above the triple.
Good street tires help too, I really like Pilot Roads on my 650.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Aggressive rider here. I'm running .95 kg/mm Sonic springs with stock weight oil. Handles everything I throw at it, and I tick off almost every SS I ride with.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Ricor Intiminators and Cogent Dynamic Drop In Damper Cartridges are for 650s and other bikes with damper rod forks. Your 1000 has cartridges, so RaceTech Gold Valves are the way to go after you upgrade the springs.

How many miles on it? Very likely the shock is due for a rebuild and upgrade. Many shops can rebuild and upgrade it, or buy a much better aftermarket shock.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Aggressive rider here. I'm running .95 kg/mm Sonic springs with stock weight oil. Handles everything I throw at it, and I tick off almost every SS I ride with.
Crap. Forgot about that. Yes...Racetech valves with Sonic springs. Thought about cartridge emulators for a second, but realized it wasn't a track bike.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In all fairness on my ticking off SS bikes commens, my bike is the least stock Vee I've run across. GSXR front wheel, widened rear to accept a 180, CBR 600 front calipers, custom shorty exhaust, corrected speedo face, etc. Pretty much the only thing I'm missing is an Ohlins rear shock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike has 32k miles. The prior owner replaced the rear shock very recently. Therefore, I am only concerned about the front at the moment.

Other than preload adjustments, is there any difference between 2002 and later forks?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not really. They all suck. Lol. Re-spring and re-valve for your weight and riding style, and don't worry about emulators. If you spend more than 25% of your time in dirt, you might want to spring a little lighter, but if most of your miles are on pavement, springs and valves for the street will get you right.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just went back and checked my Sonic Springs account (it was down last night). I have 1.00 springs in my Vee. The .95's went in a different bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
02 forks don't have preload adjusters on them, so adjustment is old school cut and adjust spring spacers.
Cheers
FS

·
Registered
55 Posts
At 200#, depending on how you ride (street vs. off pavement) and how much load you carry the 1.0 may be a touch stiff but way better than stock unless you ride loaded quite a bit. But it is splitting hairs at this point. The stock forks on the V can be revalved, I do it all the time. If you have them valved have a two stage compression stack installed that will give you a nice compliant ride in the low speed compression stack and then a stiffer high speed compression stack for when you hit that big bump that you did not see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed everything, total pain. It is amazing how bad the instructions were. I am very thankful for the Internet. Could not have done it otherwise.

I went for a quick ride to try it out. The ride was great. No more brake dive!

However, I now have a surging issue to deal with. The bike is virtually unrideable until I get that fixed. Unfortunately, the code resets when the bike is turned off so I now have to ride it again, hope the light comes on and I can make it home so I can read the code.

·
Registered
135 Posts
call Dan at TRAXXION DYNAMICS and see if he has a damper kit with gold valves
turned my fz-07 into a new bike. the key is the dampener rods with the gold valves
I used 95 kg springs and it was awesome. and very easy install
trust me its worth a phone call
if you really want a great fork then they have a fully adjustable ak20 kit but its 1300
but its worth it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts