StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, please help!I am at wits end as I cannot start my bike again.Was running fine until one day just stalled and that was it, suspected fuel, so I cleaned tea bag filter/strainer and checked T/O sensor, heated oxygen sensor etc.I put the bike into dealer mode and noted following errors: cam shaft sensor and gear position sensor.(SIDE NOTE=I was told by the mate I bought it from that the OD had been bypassed and that was why the FI light came on at idle, but went off as soon as I pulled away, and confirmed this by noting the pink gear position sensor wire had been spliced and a resistor added to another black wire at the ECM terminals)It was running fine for a long time prior to this..I pulled the stator out and found all resistances between pairs of yellow wires at .6ohms if I can remember correctly and ruled that out...30a fuse at solenoid is fine, all other fuses fine too, pump buzzes and guages sweep like normal, but no spark at plug lead( only pulled rear plug at this stage) when cranking?!?!?!?!?!!!What have I left out???!?!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Kill switch or Kill switch wiring?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Austin,it seems that all the usual suspects are not to blame.
Clutch, side stand, ign switch and kill switch all fine.It is almost as if the earthing (or lack of) is an issue, but I have checked terminals and they are ok.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,440 Posts
Well, if you are getting a cam position sensor error code that would be the first place I would look. Make sure the connector is plugged in. Beyond that you may have a failed cam position sensor. Which would certainly cause your lack of spark! This tells the engines computer when to trip the coils to make spark.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If you have an ATRE mounted, it will "fool" the ECU into "thinking" the transmission is always in fourth gear, the only unrestricted gear. Some simple resistor only ATRE's will kill the OD light and affect the gear position sensor as a result but they'll have no effect on the cam position sensor.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Longshot, but do you have a PCIII? There's a ground wire from the PCIII loom that goes to the negative battery terminal. If that's disconnected, the motor will crank but not fire. Don't ask how I know. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
This tells the engines computer when to trip the coils to make spark.
Too right! Clean the ECU connector with electronic cleaner safe for plastics. Examine, renew or, better yet,remove those homemade splices and connections. Better to add a tooth or two for your next rear sprocket instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too right! Clean the ECU connector with electronic cleaner safe for plastics. Examine, renew or, better yet,remove those homemade splices and connections. Better to add a tooth or two for your next rear sprocket instead.
Hi again, chaps.Thanks for the replies, no power commander or ATRE installed , apart from the little resistor at the ECM....I am beginning to suspect the ecu or regulator rectifier, but wouldn't the reg/rect still allow spark even if it was dodgy, just that it would not handle correct charge output perhaps????

·
5,440 Posts
regulator/rectifier has Zero to do with engine spark. Resistor at ECU may or may not be an issue.

You mentioned in first post that putting the bike in dealer mode gave a camshaft position sensor fault. Is there a reason you don't want to pursue that? Because with what information you have given I give that a 90% chance of being what is wrong.

Camshaft position sensor is not there to tell the camshaft what to do. It is there so the ECU knows EXACTLY when to send the signal to the ignition coils. Which makes the spark........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
regulator/rectifier has Zero to do with engine spark. Resistor at ECU may or may not be an issue.

You mentioned in first post that putting the bike in dealer mode gave a camshaft position sensor fault. Is there a reason you don't want to pursue that? Because with what information you have given I give that a 90% chance of being what is wrong.

Camshaft position sensor is not there to tell the camshaft what to do. It is there so the ECU knows EXACTLY when to send the signal to the ignition coils. Which makes the spark........
Well, I initially checked the cam sensor as that was the first fault that presented itself, however if I can recall correctly, it was within workshop manual spec (I think required voltages were 3,6 volts...)so I ruled that out and there was no sign of metal particles or bad connections on the terminal either. I think the only option is to arrange with a mate with a 2009 vee, to swap with his cam position sensor, and see.....Might have an ex-buddy if it gets eaten by my bike lol....
:furious:

·
5,440 Posts
I don't know the exact procedure for testing the camshaft position sensor. But just showing a voltage isn't telling me much. I need to see a spike in voltage or a drop in voltage as the camshaft turns in relation to the sensor. If it isn't changing output any at all, then you can be sure it isn't telling the ECU when to fire the coils.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts