• Other

Votes: 20 55.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing the Windstrom Manta regular that came on my '02 and have narrowed the search down to 3. I'm looking for input regarding the pros & cons between the MRA Vario, Cee Bailey and Givi.

Since the '02 and '03's don't have the adjustable feature of the '04s and up nor the option of the MadStad, please keep that in mind when responding.

FWIW: I'm 6'3" so you of taller stature please weigh in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the Cee Bailey 25"; I'm only 6'1", but most of my height is from the waist up (and out these days), as I only have a 31"inseam.
The CB worked "okay" for me; definite improvement over the stocker, not as wide at the top but the extra height helped quite a bit. Last Sept I took a ride out ot KC, and made a w/s extension for it, about 2.5 - 3" more; it worked pretty well until the velcro gave way somewhere in Ohio,,,,
My thinking is that you're better off buying a w/s that is too tall; you can cut it down in steps to get the height you want, but you can't add to one that's too short.
I recently picked up the Suzuki factory tall w/s to play with; as soon as I can get the time to put it on and try it out, I'll go for a nice loooooong ride!

KevinL
VA

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Not a hijacker

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but I wonder who, if anyone, has a Madstad-equivalent for the '02-'03 bikes. I still have the stock shield on my '02, which actually works OK, since I ride the bike in the warm/hot months and I'm tall enought that most of the turbulence is hitting me in the chest, not the helmet. Seems like raising the shield up and out might allow better airflow control. If no one makes such a critter, may have to spend some time in the metal shop. Kind of related to the windshield question, since no one seems especially pleased with any of the replacement '02-'03 windshields, though most seem to have advantages over the stocker.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Klong: Do you have the one with the NACA duct (Pre-2004 Extended Vented Windshield) or the Pre-2004 Extra Tall Windshield? The vented one is stated to be 6" taller than stock but since I've never had a stock shield this doesn't really mean much to me.

GW: I'll do a little more digging on the MPCycle Design site, thanks! BTW: do you have any experience with their screens?

A little more info regarding this subject. I'm not looking for the calm envelope of air. I want that little kid with the wiffle ball bat that wasn't invited on the ride to stop hitting me in the side of the head! I've played with changing the rake, added some micro swirl edging from Saeng and repositioned the mirrors. These all have helped to some degree but there are still days when the banging on the noggin is a little much. I talked with the folks at Windstrom and was told that with my height that I need the tall screen or I should add their top spoiler. Since most screen makers won't let you return a screen after it's been mounted I want to gather as much info as possible before making a final decision.

Thanks to everyone so far!

·
38,048 Posts
MP is an excellent vendor. I've gotten a number of shields there due to a previously totaled bike and touring as well as sporty shields for my present one.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Cee Bailey for the tall girl.

I'm tall for a girl, 6'4". Just try to find clothes that fit!!! Much less a windshield.

I bought a 26" Cee Bailey for my '02 DL1000. It's the extra tall without the NACA cutout.

It works pretty well. I could have gone to a 28" but I really didn't want a sail on the front of Fluffy.

I like the shape of the 'shield, and the installation took less than 2 minutes.
It's the light gray smoke colour.

Now Fluffy is faster, more powerful, and leaps 3 feet higher than she used to.

Janice, Amazon Princess of the Great White North (on the rumble strip again)

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I must be the only V-Strom owner in the world with a stock windscreen on their 2003. I am considering the Madstad. The reviews are all favorable. Before reading about the Madstad I was under the impression that there was no truely satisfactory solution for the 02/03 V-Strom screen. Oh, I'm a bit over 6'3".

·
Registered
340 Posts
I must be the only V-Strom owner in the world with a stock windscreen on their 2003. I am considering the Madstad. The reviews are all favorable. Before reading about the Madstad I was under the impression that there was no truely satisfactory solution for the 02/03 V-Strom screen. Oh, I'm a bit over 6'3".
Nope, make that two of us...

But I'm confused, I didn't think there were any Madstads for the 02-03 models? I know there are instructions out there to convert the 02-03 front cowling and instrument cluster framework to the 04-later version, but the instrument cluster ends up needing to be hacked back into position due to diffs in how it is mounted between model years. Read about it here.

Mirage...

·
38,048 Posts
Paul Sas at MP will outline your options. He's good people. Tell I said Hi. Do the line of sight measurement and send him an e-mail.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm tall for a girl, 6'4". Just try to find clothes that fit!!! Much less a windshield.

I bought a 26" Cee Bailey for my '02 DL1000. It's the extra tall without the NACA cutout.

It works pretty well. I could have gone to a 28" but I really didn't want a sail on the front of Fluffy.

I like the shape of the 'shield, and the installation took less than 2 minutes.
It's the light gray smoke colour.

Now Fluffy is faster, more powerful, and leaps 3 feet higher than she used to.

Janice, Amazon Princess of the Great White North (on the rumble strip again)
Hate to tell 'ya but you're tall for anybody :rolleyes:! There aren't too many people I have to look up to... You have my sympathies with regards to the clothes buying thing, I'm sure I have it easier than you do! Thanks for the info!

Paul Sas at MP will outline your options. He's good people. Tell I said Hi. Do the line of sight measurement and send him an e-mail.
I'll fire off an email to him or better yet maybe give him a call. It sounds like he's worked out alot of the problems with the early mounting system (I'll tell him you said "Hi!")

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Cheap way out?

Does anyone know of a successful homemade fix for the stock windscreen? It seems like I read somewhere that a guy bought some lexan from Home Depot cut it and made a extension to his stock shield and lived happy ever after?

·
Registered
499 Posts
What's the problem with your Manta? I'm 6'11' (yes, 5' 23") and the Manta is the pretty good, in the grand scheme. Went for a 160 miler on Saturday and it was WINDY! Those days don't mix well with this screen for me. The "stuttering" vibration, like a paint shaker flat out beat me up on the forehead. On calmer days, the screen does well. I have the spoiler option on the way from windstrom, and hope it raises the air just enough to get it over the helmet or something close to that.

FYI, spent all of last summer with no screen in place and there is nothing finer for an 02-03 than that!

The screen I had before this was an MRA vario touring w/spoiler and added the laminar ears as well. That did pretty well, but still needed something to get the air higher and or cleaner. Had a brief stint with the Cee Bailey's super tall and it put a lot of vaccuum pressure on my head and felt like my sinuses were going to burst at speed. That screen wouldn't clear my mirror stalks so Cee Bailey's took it back, which was good of them.

Anyway, curious what you are trying to get away from with the Manta?

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What's the problem with your Manta? I'm 6'11' (yes, 5' 23") and the Manta is the pretty good, in the grand scheme. Went for a 160 miler on Saturday and it was WINDY! Those days don't mix well with this screen for me. The "stuttering" vibration, like a paint shaker flat out beat me up on the forehead. On calmer days, the screen does well. I have the spoiler option on the way from windstrom, and hope it raises the air just enough to get it over the helmet or something close to that.

FYI, spent all of last summer with no screen in place and there is nothing finer for an 02-03 than that!

The screen I had before this was an MRA vario touring w/spoiler and added the laminar ears as well. That did pretty well, but still needed something to get the air higher and or cleaner. Had a brief stint with the Cee Bailey's super tall and it put a lot of vaccuum pressure on my head and felt like my sinuses were going to burst at speed. That screen wouldn't clear my mirror stalks so Cee Bailey's took it back, which was good of them.

Anyway, curious what you are trying to get away from with the Manta?
Right now it seems like the air flow needs to either move up or down. I was told by the Windstrom people that I need the tall screen (or add their TS to mine). The cost of the TS is about the same as a new screen from someone else so that's why I started this. It's not that I don't like the Manta, I just wanted some insight to anyone's experience with those listed in the poll. My thought is if I have to spend some $$ I'd like to explore all my options before doing so.

I'm wondering that with your height, is your head out of the turbulent (sp?) air? Which screen (standard or tall) are you using and where do you get turbulence, if any? I'd also be interested in hearing how the TS affected things.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm back in the saddle after totaling my '05 Vee last fall. I just bought an '03 Vee with 3,300 miles on it and it has a Zero Gravity windscreen. It looks sweet but I need more protection from the elements. I'm 6'6" with a 35" inseam. I've been reading the posts and the MP Design and Manta look like the favorites but I don't want to spend a fortune for a screen either. Has anyone used the Cee Baileys with the NACA vent in the middle?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mp cycle designs

My 02 DL1000 needed a new screen after the kickstand folded and she rolled over.

After MUCH research, I decided on the MP cycle designs with the factory attached wing..
Installation is tricky, but once it's on, the screen is SOO PERBBBBBBBBBBB

I can easily ride at 80 w/o my visor, NO more wind buffetting, very good weather control...
pricey but I"m confident it';s the only screen I'll need for the life of this bike.

Im 6'2", 215 and wide shoulders.

MP has their own bracket and uses apparently excellent design to channel wind in front of and behind the screen to whip it over the helment with very minimal bumps.

Great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Saving nickels costs dimes

I thought long and hard about the cost of the MP and the final was this..

Suppose I get a windscreen that costly, just doesn't do thejob? Any of the good ones are pricey, so I figured that if I was going to get a new screen, go for the best. If I thought the best did not work, I'd have my doubts about the next best...and cheaper version

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is the kind of stuff I like to hear! Keep it coming!! :p

(Hey, I just hit a quarter of a thousand posts!! Cool :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts