StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would never in a million years want to try this myself 'cause I'm a safe, sane rider, but my buddy and I got in a discussion... how do you, if in fact you wanted to, get to 60 mph in the fasted time? (I have a 650.)

At what RPM's would you shift up in each gear?

My theory: starting in first (of course) shift into the next higher gear each time the tach reaches 5,500 until you're in fifth. My buddy says go up to at least 7,000 RPM's before shifting and never go above third gear. Of course, we're both idiots and don't know what we're talking about.

Your thoughts?

- Tom

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I remember correctly, 1st will take you to about 40mph (near red line) and 2nd should take you to 60. I wasn't really looking at the speedo that much so I may not be entirely accurate :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You stay in the highest horsepower section of the curve if you shift at 9500 rpm. See http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/VStrom05B.pdf#search='dl650%20060'

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Rip through the gears till about 9500 and shift. Shifting as fast as you can without loosing traction. No spinning tires (not sure about wheelies?)

·
Administrator
17,362 Posts
I never pay any attention....I just rip through the gears, and PRESTO there is 60 mph! :shock: I know that I am revving pretty good cause my exhausts and intake is SCREAMING!!!!! Sounds so sweet too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeez, guys, I must be missing something in this whole 'motorcycle experience'.

With 7,000 miles on my 650, I don't think my tach has ever once gone above 8,000 RPMs!

(Can you say "Wimpy Rider"?)

- Tom

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I think its important to test the rev limiter at least once a month. Although, it feels like the power starts to fall off on my 1000 when you get it really wound up.

What's that saying?

"RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!" :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
TomX said:

With 7,000 miles on my 650, I don't think my tach has ever once gone above 8,000 RPMs!

- Tom
I hit 9,000 maybe once every 500 miles. Defintley run out of space and safety cushion usually.

·
Administrator
17,362 Posts
Heavy said:
I think its important to test the rev limiter at least once a month. Although, it feels like the power starts to fall off on my 1000 when you get it really wound up.

What's that saying?

"RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!" :wink:
NO...IT IS SAYING, PULL YOUR SECONDARIES!!!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
TomX said:
I would never in a million years want to try this myself 'cause I'm a safe, sane rider, but my buddy and I got in a discussion... how do you, if in fact you wanted to, get to 60 mph in the fasted time? (I have a 650.)

At what RPM's would you shift up in each gear?

My theory: starting in first (of course) shift into the next higher gear each time the tach reaches 5,500 until you're in fifth. My buddy says go up to at least 7,000 RPM's before shifting and never go above third gear. Of course, we're both idiots and don't know what we're talking about.

Your thoughts?

- Tom

Somehwere between peak HP and peak tq.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Heavy, Maintain it like you own it, ride it like you stole it.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
water warrior said:
Heavy, Maintain it like you own it, ride it like you stole it.
Oh, don't worry, it gets love and beatings in equal parts. :wink:

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
With the V 2nd redlines at 80mph :)

Ride each gear to the top of the curve, then shift. And carefull not to flip.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
zed88 said:
TomX said:

- Tom
I hit 9,000 maybe once every 500 miles. Defintley run out of space and safety cushion usually.
That's about 60-65 mph in sixth on a Wee, isn't it? :lol:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Actually, fastest acceleration will occur if you shift, not at the horsepower peak, but at a somewhat higher engine speed that provides the highest average horsepower for the time you're in a particular gear.

For example, the average horespower from 7K to 10K may be higher than the averge horsepower between 6K and 9K even though the engine power drops a bit from 9K to 10K. What you lose at the top is more than made up for by not dropping down so much on the bottom.

Without having the exact horsewpower curves in front of me, I'd guess that somewhere around 9.5K to 10K would be optimal acceleration shift point for the DL650.

Don't worry about pushing these engines! At the track or on remote roads, I've often ridden mine for more than an hour at a stretch with the engine consistetly running from 7K to 10K RPM. These engines thrive on this. But mileage drops down into the 20's.

- Mark

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts