StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2006 vstrom for little over a year now and realized I have no offroad aspirations when riding. Occasional gravel ok but 99.9% pavement otherwise.
Here is what Ive done to it so far:
-14 tooth countersprocket- massive boost to acceleration out of corners, really woke the bike up
-raised fork tubes 25mm- much better handling on corners, less vagueness.
-stiff aftermarket springs front and rear.
- avon trailrider tires- 90/10 tire -road biased.
-low spiegler handlebar-i ran it before with protaper atv high and I much prefer the bike with a bit of forward lean as opposed to being bolt upright.
Here is the catch - I had to use spacers under the low bar in order for it to clear side cowls when bar was turned. I would like to eliminate those 30mm spacers.
One way would be to eliminate oem fairing. I have studied all “thinstrom” posts for inspiration and think its doable to keep the bike functional ( would still like some sort of wind protection). Has anyone tried grafting a cafe racer style front fairing onto a strom?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought a fairing bracket several years ago in anticipation of a ThinStrom setup.
It would hold a headlight...signals...the instruments & a shield. I actually have a new Puig 15" high shield for a round headlight too.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup- im thinking old school round headlight and a fairing to hide the mess and get a bit of windblast break

·
Registered
181 Posts
Gettn rid of than stock Strom brkt will clean things up nicely

Heres the one I bought...its yours for not much $
20200624_141927.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like the idea of a fixed fairing/shield & light... No affect on the steering

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got as far as checking the fit of the bracket....clearance side/side turning was fine...only mod needed was slotting 1 bolt hole to mount.
Heres the shield I bought
20200519_122450.jpg

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
What about a black DR650 headlight, it may hide enough junk to keep you happy.

You can add a windshield for wind protection.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Man, I've ridden bikes with improper fork heights, and moving your forks an entire inch in the clamps is generally NOT recommended.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Man, I've ridden bikes with improper fork heights, and moving your forks an entire inch in the clamps is generally NOT recommended.
I only dropped the front of my Wee10mm and was happy with the change but really impressed when I lifted the rear 1" too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it was me, rather than do all these modifications (which will result in a hard-to-sell custom), I would sell the Vstrom, and get an SV650. They are lighter, tuned for more top end, better handling, etc. And they usually have very low mileage on them, as they don't lend themselves to any touring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glen very valid points. I thought about that too, however as you said sv650 doesn't lend itself to touring very well. I tend to do longer rides thats why the DL platform appeals more. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only dropped the front of my Wee10mm and was happy with the change but really impressed when I lifted the rear 1" too.
Hello Rolex my bad I meant 15mm not 25. Good catch.
Raising the forks in triples helped to alleviate “floaty” feeling at higher speeds- coupled with rear weight bias and upright seating position I was experiencing. I already have a tall 1000 seat on my bike so if I raise the rear I may have trouble at stoplights haha

·
Registered
181 Posts
That suggestion has already been answered....look back a few posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I need to look into it.
I definitely need to take one for a spin.
Ability to carry moderate luggage is also important for me.
More googling for me i guess hahaha.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Maybe I need to look into it.
I definitely need to take one for a spin.
Ability to carry moderate luggage is also important for me.
More googling for me i guess hahaha.
I have a SV650. It would be a hard choice as to if you should switch. Except that some of you comments about seeking out better handling and zip out of the corners. As mentioned, the engine is built to a different tune and 17" wheels at both ends. There is a ton of touring accessories for the SV. All bolt-on ready. They come in three flavors, naked, fairing and faring with lowers. But then again ... you have the bike already that can become exactly what you want. Maybe drop into the SV forum and see if anyone lives near you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts