StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best method (not ratchet strap over rafter) to remove both the front and rear wheels on a ‘19 DL1000 that is equipped with a center stand? Ex. Head/steering stem lift, fork hybrid lift, etc.

I’m planning on using the center stand to remove the rear wheel, but I’m trying to make up my mind about how to remove the front. I want something that‘a secure enough that I won’t have to worry about something shifting or falling while it’s off the wheels for a couple hours.

I’d rather not spend ~$200 For a Pit Bull, but I’m not seeing many options that are less expensive than that. One issue I’m seeing is that some of the ~$100 or so options that people have thrown out there seem to be no longer available.

Does the steering head stand create any clearance/space issues for removing the axle? Looks like I would need to purchase separately the #12 pin if I decide to go that route.

Thank you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not currently have a jack stand...so I would have to acquire one in order to make that happen.

I could just spend that money on a decent motorcycle stand instead, as I would have no use for a regular jack stand.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I have never found a lift I was happy with so the over a beam works best for me.

Can you borrow a scissor jack from a friends car.

Loosen all bolts front and rear first, secure the centre stand forward so it can't fold up, remove the rear wheel.

Place the jack under the front and lift till the front wheel spins freely.

If you have stability concerns a couple of chunks of wood secured to your stand, crash bars or handlebars will fix things up.

Or even securing your bike between 2 kitchen chairs will work.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Pit Bull stands are expensive, but if it keeps your bike from falling over one time it has paid for itself. Be a good idea to get the rear stand as well, as using the front in conjunction with the center stand will cause the bike to tip rearward. Using both rear and front stands will keep the bike level.
I honestly don't know if this is a problem, but it just looks more stable with 2 stands if both wheels are going to be off at the same time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pit Bull stands are expensive, but if it keeps your bike from falling over one time it has paid for itself. Be a good idea to get the rear stand as well, as using the front in conjunction with the center stand will cause the bike to tip rearward. Using both rear and front stands will keep the bike level.
I honestly don't know if this is a problem, but it just looks more stable with 2 stands if both wheels are going to be off at the same time.
They look stupid expensive for what they are, in my opinion.

I’m at a loss as to why there isn’t a ~$100 option that’ll work for this bike, as I see a ton of less expensive options that don’t look like junk.

Looks like I can go get a rear swing arm stand for cheap, so that shouldn’t be a big problem.

Had anyone used one of the Pit Bull stands for a DL1000.

Edit: Any rear/swing arm stands that anyone would recommend?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

I’m at a loss as to why there isn’t a ~$100 option that’ll work for this bike, as I see a ton of less expensive options that don’t look like junk.

Looks like I can go get a rear swing arm stand for cheap, so that shouldn’t be a big problem.
There are less expensive stands that will do the job adequately, if you are comfortable with them. For several years I used a cheap rear stand that was given to me by the dealer when I bought a bike, along with a scissors jack under the engine to lift the front. Always made me nervous. When I got a pair of pitbull stands the difference was night and day. The heavy duty construction and solid feel of the pit's make them worth the money.

(No, I'm not a pitbull salesman.)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I’m planning on using the center stand to remove the rear wheel,
Having a center stand is a big start. If you lay a piece of 3/4 plywood (about 3' wide) on he floor and roll the bike onto it and up onto the center stand ... now you can use common tie down straps front and back to hold it fast in equilibrium. Remember, neither end of the bike can ever weigh more than the whole bike and the whole weight of the bike is holding the plywood to the floor, via the center stand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rolex's description is how I remove both wheels from my '14 DL1000. Works like a charm. I did have a head stand from a previous bike, but it was too short for the VStrom, so I sold it off.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
I like the plywood method. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I do something similar. I put the bike on the center stand on my motorcycle lift table and then use a ratchet strap to a couple of ring bolts on the table to pull the rear down.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts

Seems to be several headlift stands in the $100 range on Amazon. Junk? Doesn't look like from just looking at them, read the reviews.

Just need to get a long enough pin.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems to be several headlift stands in the $100 range on Amazon. Junk? Doesn't look like from just looking at them, read the reviews.

Just need to get a long enough pin.
I agree that some of them looked goods. The reviews on the ones that I saw on amazon seemed to be hit or miss though.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've had very good luck using Craigs List for lift stands, etc. I've picked up 2 Pit Bull swingarm stands. Total Cost for both = $95.

You'd be surprised what can be found on CL with a bit of patience. Good Luck :cool:

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I've done the ratchet strap method a couple of times, similar to dravnx, except hooked the strap to the slot in a storage rack upright near the floor. Front tire lifts off pretty easy.

The first time, I wondered, "can the center stand really support all the weight of the bike like that"? It sure doesn't look kosher when you look at it, but nothing bad happened.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've done the ratchet strap method a couple of times, similar to dravnx, except hooked the strap to the slot in a storage rack upright near the floor. Front tire lifts off pretty easy.

The first time, I wondered, "can the center stand really support all the weight of the bike like that"? It sure doesn't look kosher when you look at it, but nothing bad happened.
center stand is plenty strong. It will easily support the entire bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is the best method (not ratchet strap over rafter) to remove both the front and rear wheels on a ‘19 DL1000 that is equipped with a center stand? Ex. Head/steering stem lift, fork hybrid lift, etc.

I’m planning on using the center stand to remove the rear wheel, but I’m trying to make up my mind about how to remove the front. I want something that‘a secure enough that I won’t have to worry about something shifting or falling while it’s off the wheels for a couple hours.

I’d rather not spend ~$200 For a Pit Bull, but I’m not seeing many options that are less expensive than that. One issue I’m seeing is that some of the ~$100 or so options that people have thrown out there seem to be no longer available.

Does the steering head stand create any clearance/space issues for removing the axle? Looks like I would need to purchase separately the #12 pin if I decide to go that route.

Thank you.
I've only ever done one wheel at a time, but the method could work for both with additional steps and no rafters. For the rear, the center stand is enough. For the front, I've used the center stand in conjunction with straps to weight in the back in order to raise the front (I have some cast iron bricks, but it could be almost anything - it doesn't take much). You could also put the bike on plywood and strap to rings bolted to the plywood, using the bike's own weight. It doesn't take much, the center stand is close to the center of mass. If you need to do both wheels, once the rear is off put in jack stands or similar blocking then use the straps to bring the bike down onto those supports and raise the front. You shouldn't need additional supports at the front so you'd have plenty of room to work. You could strap both ends to the plywood and balance it using strap tension, but then you need to work around the straps.

- Spad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Floor jack under the motor with a block of wood. Works easy to get just that right height when trying to put the axle in, etc.

·
Registered
572 Posts
+1 for the center stand and a jack under the motor. Be a little careful, not clumsy and it works great.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
One additional tip, I learned form another trooper (and used it when the picture was taking). When re-mounting the rear wheel, suspend it with an adjustable ratchet strap. Put at the correct height it makes fiddling with the rear caliper, the spacers and the axle very easy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts