The "new" Scala Rider G4, anybody got one? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Techy World! GPS, Electronics, etc Electronics forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Vuduchld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 295
The "new" Scala Rider G4, anybody got one?

Scala Rider Q2 gets a good review from webbikeworld.com and from lots of friends that have them. The G4 is supposed to be an upgraded/revised model.

Any Stromers out there have one yet?

"All whiskey ain't the same, good moonshine burns a clear blue flame" Delta Moon

Future 3rd Gen Wee-Strom owner

Last edited by Vuduchld; 10-21-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Vuduchld is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 10-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Rjsurfer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 539
My wife and I love the Scala Rider2 for our trips, from what I understand the only real difference with the version 4 is that it has Blue Tooth stereo rather than mono....

Ron W.

07 Wee
07 DRZ400 SM (wifeys)
16 T Sprocket
Short screen & Washers
Replaced 'P" shooter
35W halogen rear signals
RT Gold Valves
Sonic Springs
rjsurfer is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Dorzok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuduchld View Post
Scala Rider Q2 gets a good review from webbikeworld.com and from lots of friends that have them. The G4 is supposed to be an upgraded/revised model.

Any Stromers out there have one yet?
not available yet. all the sites "selling" them say not avialable. some offer to contact you when they are. i'll wait for the team set so i can get the second unit at a discount. looks better than the Q2 at least.

Somtimes it sucks not being in the loop. HUH??[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Olive"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Dorzok is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Travman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 202
The G4 has been on a delayed release for about 4 months and no date in sight. They are a significant update on the Q2 adding stereo bluetooth (about time), connections to 4 users, and up to 1 mile range. Premium price of $299 per set.

However, the Cardo Scala products are no longer leading but now playing catch up. Consider the Chatterbox brand which has gotten good reviews at Webbikeworld. Look at the XBi for rider to passenger and the XBi2 for bike to bike. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
T

All who wander are not lost!

2008 DL1000 - Silver - gone
2008 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec - gone
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 - gone
Travman is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 03-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sun Prairie, WI
Posts: 148
Anyone here have a G4 yet? I did some research over at ADV Rider, too, but I wanted some more opinions. I missed 3 calls from my pregnant wife yesterday, so I guess it's time to look into bluetooth for the bike.

Revzilla is selling it for $250. Anyone know of it being sold cheaper elsewhere?
dsm_rally is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
maggot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria BC Canada
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_rally View Post
Anyone here have a G4 yet? I did some research over at ADV Rider, too, but I wanted some more opinions. I missed 3 calls from my pregnant wife yesterday, so I guess it's time to look into bluetooth for the bike.

Revzilla is selling it for $250. Anyone know of it being sold cheaper elsewhere?
Lots of folks on the ADV site have them, should be good info over there. A co-worker has a set on the way (should have them mid next week). Pd 265 for the set.

Ken

2007 DL650 Gray
maggot is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 03-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sun Prairie, WI
Posts: 148
$265 for a set??? As in 2 headsets? I'd be shocked. The set retails for just shy of $400.
dsm_rally is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 03-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 36
Quick Review of G4 Powerset

We received our set a couple weeks ago from Revzilla. I ordered from them because I found a code on ADVrider discounting the set significantly (I'll go back and look for the code if anyone is interested). We paid $369.99 for a pair of headsets, which I thought was a pretty good deal since the listed price was $440.96.

My primary purpose for these was to talk to my wife when she rides with me. I like the ability to answer a phone call too. This is the first intercom system I have ever used. We've only used it once, and I am happy with it. It was easy to install on my Scorpion helmet. We had a hard time figuring it out at first, and when we started riding, we left the channel open, and we both got a lot of wind static noise. I switched over to the closed channel, and this worked much better. It was a little tricky to start a conversation at times, and after attempts at yelling various words to "start" the conversation, I found the best luck with "yope".

It was pretty funny initially- I didn't think the channel was open once and started yelling to open the channel, and my wife screamed immediately- apparently it was already open. Later, we were driving through a city and she was trying to open the channel from her end, with no luck. I nearly had to pull over because I was laughing so hard at all the people looking at us wondering why she was yelling. It seemed to work much better at higher speeds/ more wind noise.

The one time I tried a phone conversation with it, she could hear me fine, but for me to hear her she had to yell. I need to figure out how to work this better. I haven't tried any music with it- I have the first gen iphone, and I don't think it does stereo bluetooth anyway.
ncbuckeye is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
maggot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria BC Canada
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_rally View Post
$265 for a set??? As in 2 headsets? I'd be shocked. The set retails for just shy of $400.
My error. It was 365. for 2 headsets.

Ken

2007 DL650 Gray
maggot is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
rcacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Morden, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,557
Send a message via MSN to rcacs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbuckeye View Post
We received our set a couple weeks ago from Revzilla. I ordered from them because I found a code on ADVrider discounting the set significantly (I'll go back and look for the code if anyone is interested). We paid $369.99 for a pair of headsets, which I thought was a pretty good deal since the listed price was $440.96.

My primary purpose for these was to talk to my wife when she rides with me. I like the ability to answer a phone call too. This is the first intercom system I have ever used. We've only used it once, and I am happy with it. It was easy to install on my Scorpion helmet. We had a hard time figuring it out at first, and when we started riding, we left the channel open, and we both got a lot of wind static noise. I switched over to the closed channel, and this worked much better. It was a little tricky to start a conversation at times, and after attempts at yelling various words to "start" the conversation, I found the best luck with "yope".

It was pretty funny initially- I didn't think the channel was open once and started yelling to open the channel, and my wife screamed immediately- apparently it was already open. Later, we were driving through a city and she was trying to open the channel from her end, with no luck. I nearly had to pull over because I was laughing so hard at all the people looking at us wondering why she was yelling. It seemed to work much better at higher speeds/ more wind noise.

The one time I tried a phone conversation with it, she could hear me fine, but for me to hear her she had to yell. I need to figure out how to work this better. I haven't tried any music with it- I have the first gen iphone, and I don't think it does stereo bluetooth anyway.
I have the Q2 set, and really like it. I too had probs with the VOX, the wind would often actuate it, disrupting our tunes. I switched off the VOX and just use "manual", i.e., hit the button leaving the channel open until done yakking, and then hit the button again to shut it off. Seems to work fine in this mode.

Cheers!

K5Wee in Kanada (285,500 KM and still going strong)
IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS.....FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
[IMG]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/rcacs/maps/VisitedProvincesMap.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/rcacs/maps/american.jpg[/IMG]
rcacs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome