Zumo 660 w/Richland Ricks GPS mount - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Techy World! GPS, Electronics, etc Electronics forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 234
Zumo 660 w/Richland Ricks GPS mount

The mail man showed up yesterday with a GPS mount from Richland Rick. I had a free evening so I installed it and wired it up with my Zumo 660 tonight. The fork brace is very robust, it went on easy and fit great, even with my Madstad. The stock Zumo mounting bits were all I needed to complete the mechanical installation.

I'm still considering everything I'll do farkle wise, and haven't committed to a fuse block yet. In the interim I stole power for the GPS from the right headlight. I pulled most of the tupperware to get at what I needed to see. It was my first time so it took a while. Once it was off, some quick soldering, and then I put it all back together.

I like the top center location for GPSes. I had a similar mount on my RT. The Richland Rick mount and Ram stuff make this very adjustable.









Kevin

2009 R1200GS Adventure
2009 Wee ABS (for sale)
krussell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I'm still considering everything I'll do farkle wise, and haven't committed to a fuse block yet. In the interim I stole power for the GPS from the right headlight.
Does that cut off power when you select high beams or what?

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Does that cut off power when you select high beams or what?
Yes it does. :-) I rarely ride at night, and this was interim in the sense of days, not weeks. I expect the final solution this weekend. I'm going to route cable along the stock harness to the battery area, and connect there. I'll leave enough cable so that when I go with a fuseblock I can just move to that instead of the battery. I was thinking I'd grab power from the H4 relay kit I'm going to add, but then thought I'd just run a small pair direct to the GPS.

I've previously wired the 660 and my previously owned 550 with switched power. With the 550, the GPS never left the bike. I wasn't sure if it charged when the GPS was off, so I was concerned that may draw down on the battery.

With the 660, the mount has zero security, so I pull it whenever I leave the bike. I'm thinking the charge problem is non-existent as a result, so I may leave it wired with constant power to avoid it shutting off at gas stations and during other short stops.

Kevin

2009 R1200GS Adventure
2009 Wee ABS (for sale)
krussell is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 09-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
ddavidson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21
Looks like a great set up. I've just purchased the same shelf and I was wondering what length RAM arm you installed. Now that you've installed it, would you use the same one again or a different size?
Thanks,
---David

---David
87 Honda Magna v45 (wrecked) , 00 Ninja 500R (sold), 07 V-Strom w/ABS (sold), 06 VFR and 82 cb900f
ddavidson is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 09-18-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidson View Post
Looks like a great set up. I've just purchased the same shelf and I was wondering what length RAM arm you installed. Now that you've installed it, would you use the same one again or a different size?
Thanks,
---David
I used the ram arm that came with the 660. It measures about 2.5" total length. It works fine for the stock w/s, madstad, 660 setup, I wouldn't change it.

I've got a different setup I'm working on though, and it's not quite plug and play. I've got a Pat Walsh Designs shelf that I want to mount. My plan is to put Martel temp and voltage meters on the underside of that shelf. I don't consider it strong enough for the 660 though, and want to continue to use the Richland Rick mount. Unfortunately things don't fit out of the box. The ball, mounted facing to the rear, conflicts with the shelf. Mounting the ball to the front conflicts with the windshield.

I'm considering a couple of options. First, I have a Cee Bailey shield on the way. It may have a shape that allows the ball to be mounted forward. I suspect I could add some spaces to move the windshield out but worry about vibration and reliability. Finally, I could use some sort of ball mount that moves the ball up and back. Perhaps I could even use the handlebar bar mount that comes with the Zumo, and just bolt it to the Richland Rick mount.

Another option is to leave the GPS as it is, forget about the Pat Walsh shelf, and just mount the Martel meters on the meter panel. That was my original plan, I just think the would look better on the bottom of the Pat Walsh shelf.

Once I figure something out I'll post a thread.

Kevin

2009 R1200GS Adventure
2009 Wee ABS (for sale)
krussell is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
I just made a stiffening bracket to connect the middle of the shelf to the windshield bracket mounts. The only reason I'm doing that is I won a Pat Walsh shelf at the Rapid City rally. Now I'll have a spare solid mount for the Zumo 550 and, I think, the 660. Maybe I'll give it away at the next rally. Ram mounts are too bouncy for my taste.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 09-18-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 234
Pat, it would be great to see a picture of your stiffening bracket. That would be yet another option.

I was pleasantly surprised at how solid the 660 is with the ram ball on the Richland Rick mount. Every bit as good as it was on my BMW RT with a BMR shelf. On my HD I can't read it at idle, but at speed it's fine. I'm using a handlebar clamp there.

A Pat Walsh shelf with a bracket back to the windshield mount would be ideal. That is more or less the same design as the BMR shelf was on my RT, and it was rock solid.

Kevin

2009 R1200GS Adventure
2009 Wee ABS (for sale)
krussell is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I used the ram arm that came with the 660. It measures about 2.5" total length. It works fine for the stock w/s, madstad, 660 setup, I wouldn't change it.

I've got a different setup I'm working on though, and it's not quite plug and play. I've got a Pat Walsh Designs shelf that I want to mount. My plan is to put Martel temp and voltage meters on the underside of that shelf. I don't consider it strong enough for the 660 though, and want to continue to use the Richland Rick mount. Unfortunately things don't fit out of the box. The ball, mounted facing to the rear, conflicts with the shelf. Mounting the ball to the front conflicts with the windshield.

I'm considering a couple of options. First, I have a Cee Bailey shield on the way. It may have a shape that allows the ball to be mounted forward. I suspect I could add some spaces to move the windshield out but worry about vibration and reliability. Finally, I could use some sort of ball mount that moves the ball up and back. Perhaps I could even use the handlebar bar mount that comes with the Zumo, and just bolt it to the Richland Rick mount.

Another option is to leave the GPS as it is, forget about the Pat Walsh shelf, and just mount the Martel meters on the meter panel. That was my original plan, I just think the would look better on the bottom of the Pat Walsh shelf.

Once I figure something out I'll post a thread.
I also have the Pat Walsh shelf and want to use the gps mount that Rick sells. I spoke to Rick a while back and he said that it would probably interfere with the shelf. Then I started wondering if I could make it work by using this ball to clear the shelf instead in the one provided by Rick.
What do you think?
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx
la-motor is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
MikeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 5,444
I don't know why a switched power circuit is needed. A GPS uses so little current (5W max for my Garmin) that it's an essentially negligible draw on a motorcycle battery unless forgotten and left on overnight. But who leaves their GPS attached while the bike is parked overnight? If you do, current draw may be the least of your problems as some helpful passer-by will probably remove it for you.:biggrinjester:

2008 DL650A
2016 KTM 390 Duke
"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure."
- Mark Twain, 1887
MikeB is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 807
Hate to dredge up an old thread, but it looks like this richmond rick mount doesn't use the standard Zumo bracket, which may be a positive because it's theft-resistant?

I haven't been able to find much in the way of mounts. Considered a strombone but no response back from him...
rconti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome