Basecamp question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Techy World! GPS, Electronics, etc Electronics forum

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-19-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
RCinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,615
Basecamp question

I've been working with the MABDR file from their website, which is actually a track. I finally figured out how to convert the track into a route file on Basecamp, and was able to export the route file to a Garmin. The trouble was that the POIs from the MABDR file (the campgrounds, gas stations, lodging, etc) didn't export with the route. I followed some instructions I found on Youtube on how to export the POI list to my computer as a .gpx file, and that worked. However, when I tried to load those POIs onto my Garmin using the Garmin POI Loader, the loader can't see the .gpx file on my desktop.

Anyone here who knows their way around Basecamp have any ideas on this? Hopefully you can dumb it down so I can wrap my head around it.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
RCinNC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 12-20-2018, 01:07 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,316
Garage
Basecamp is just awful......I loathe it and suck at using it.
STCorndog likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 12-20-2018, 06:42 AM
Hmm
Stromthusiast!
 
Hmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Republic Of Texas
Posts: 151
Garage
+1 on Basecamp sucking. I find it very hard to use despite viewing the videos.
Big B likes this.

Bill
I been down around Houston Texas where the sun shines most of the time.

2008 Wee current
2014 Spyder RT LTD current

Past - Yamaha 850, Honda Nighthawk 700, Honda GL1200, Yamaha FJ1200, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Honda GL1800
Hmm is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 Old 12-20-2018, 08:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: western PA
Posts: 318
BaseCamp is a very good and powerful tool. Easy to learn and work with.

I downloaded the MidAtlantic BDR tracks and waypoints from their website to BaseCamp on my laptop. To look into your issue I selected just a section in MD which had a number of waypoints. I then transferred them to my 550. Everything transferred -- route, tracks and waypoints. The waypoints do not appear on the device unless zoomed in. Then I looked at the directions. The waypoints are not apparently part of the track for the section I selected. The campgrounds, parking, etc.... are waypoints off or along side the route, not part of the route. On the BaseCamp map, when zoomed in quite close, you can see the black dots on the track (which correspond to the turns on the written directions). None of those seem to be on the waypoints. I would guess that if you want them as waypoints on the route, you need to insert them into the route yourself -- which makes sense since everyone looking at the BDR route may not want or need those waypoints on their route.

I have to run to work now and will look at this again later, but that's my quick assessment.
Yarz1 is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 12-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
blaustrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: north east, Buffalo NY area
Posts: 2,395
…. The trouble was that the POIs from the MABDR file (the campgrounds, gas stations, lodging, etc) didn't export with the route …

If you look at the route (open it) in BC you will see what waypoints are part of it. I assume the POI's are not. That will be transferred to the GPS if you send the route to the GPS. If you want to load the POI's, do they show up in BC when you have imported the GPX file. If yes you should be able to highlight them, right click and "send to" the GPS.

.
<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
blaustrom is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 12-20-2018, 12:06 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,316
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz1 View Post
BaseCamp is a very good and powerful tool. Easy to learn and work with.

I downloaded the MidAtlantic BDR tracks and waypoints from their website to BaseCamp on my laptop. To look into your issue I selected just a section in MD which had a number of waypoints. I then transferred them to my 550. Everything transferred -- route, tracks and waypoints. The waypoints do not appear on the device unless zoomed in. Then I looked at the directions. The waypoints are not apparently part of the track for the section I selected. The campgrounds, parking, etc.... are waypoints off or along side the route, not part of the route. On the BaseCamp map, when zoomed in quite close, you can see the black dots on the track (which correspond to the turns on the written directions). None of those seem to be on the waypoints. I would guess that if you want them as waypoints on the route, you need to insert them into the route yourself -- which makes sense since everyone looking at the BDR route may not want or need those waypoints on their route.

I have to run to work now and will look at this again later, but that's my quick assessment.

You are obviously a much smarter and patient person than myself.
Garbage Marc and Hmm like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: western PA
Posts: 318
RCinNC, I did a bit more messing around with the BDR tracks in BaseCamp. Converting the track to a route in BC seems to follow the track exactly, but, when I open the properties box for the route, it shows the beginning and end waypoints only. It seems that all the dots you see on the map of a track do not convert to via points nor waypoints, however, when you go to the directions tab all of those points are identified through the turn by turn directions. So all of the track points are in the created route. None of the BDR waypoints are in their track/route, which seems to confirm my earlier thought that the track makers did not have them as part of the original track. So, to your point, their POIs/waypoints would not transfer as part of the route if you converted their track to a route and then transferred it to your GPS. Their POIs/waypoints should transfer to your device as stand-alone waypoints though.

As a test (always duplicate the route or track file, label it 'Test' and that way don't screw up your original file in BC), I then followed along the track and dropped waypoints at key locations. Due to the u-turns the track makers made throughout the BDR, you'll need to follow along the track and clean out some extraneous points anyhow, so this isn't "extra work". Since I had the track in one color and the test route in another, once I put all my new waypoints in and hit recalculate, I was assured my route followed the track precisely. I can now add in any POI/waypoint into the created route. Give that a try and see what you think. I can now transfer the track, route w/waypoints and/or POIs as stand-alone waypoints from BC on my laptop to my GPS.
Yarz1 is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 12-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: western PA
Posts: 318
RCinNC, one last thought on this. Use GPSBabel to change the trackpoints to waypoints. I hadn't used GPSBabel before but took a look at it today. Once you Export your track from BaseCamp to a gpx file on your C drive, you then post that gpx file into GPSBabel, click the waypoint button and assign a name to a file into which you want the waypoints to go, press OK. Go back into BC, select your File where you want the waypoints, then click on FILE>IMPORT. You now have all the waypoints. You can begin the data management task of deciding which ones you want to keep for a route, and then add in those campground, gas station, restaurant, and other POIs that BDR had in their downloaded file.
I filed away some instructions to myself at [https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IgyGjNdTzIFfONB55t7m9HtWTrpi5fGY[/url] You can take a look a those.

Last edited by Yarz1; 12-24-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Yarz1 is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 12-23-2018, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
RCinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz1 View Post
RCinNC, one last thought on this. Use GPSBabel to change the trackpoints to waypoints. I hadn't used GPSBabel before but took a look at it today. Once you Export your track from BaseCamp to a gpx file on your C drive, you then post that gpx file into GPSBabel, click the waypoint button and assign a name to a file into which you want the waypoints to go, press OK. Go back into BC, select your File where you want the waypoints, then click on FILE>IMPORT. You now have all the waypoints. You can begin the data management task of deciding which ones you want to keep for a route, and then add in those campground, gas station, restaurant, and other POIs that BDR had in their downloaded file.
I filed away some instructions to myself at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bX...EIQuBZjTm95ltM You can take a look a those.
Ok, here's where I'm at...

I've managed to successfully turn the MABDR tracks into routes, and export them to ny Nuvi 2455 using Basecamp. I checked the routes after they were loaded, and they followed the correct path for the MABDR, so that part of the mission is accomplished. Now here's my whole new dilemma....

I also exported all the POIs from the MABDR to a file on my desktop that I named "Garmin POI". The file I exported is labeled "Selected Data from MABDR" (that's the file name assigned by Basecamp). This file contains all of the POIs (restaurants, gas stations, water crossings, etc). Now, when I load this POI file onto the Garmin using POI Loader, the loader program tells me that I've successfully loaded 533 files onto the Garmin. However, when I go to the place where the customized POIs are stored (you access it by going to "where to" on the main screen of the Garmin, then pushing the "saved" button), I get the message "no data available". I know the files are on the GPS; there is a folder named "POI" on the internal storage of the Garmin, and inside that folder is a file named "Garmin POI", which is the same given to the POI file by the POI Loader program. The file is 80.7KB in size.

The first time I tried this, it worked; I checked the first section of the MABDR, and I saw the various POIs where they were supposed to be. I only loaded a couple POIs that time. I then removed them from the Garmin using the POI Loader, because I planned on loading the entire POI file. Now, I don't know what I did that caused it to not work any more, but no matter whether I try and load a single POI or the mass file that contains all the POIs, I get the same result: "no data available". I know it's there; I can see it on my computer's file manager when I have the Garmin plugged in. Do you have any idea what's happening here?

"No matter where you go, there you are."
RCinNC is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 12-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: western PA
Posts: 318
RC, this sounds like issues specific to the 2455 you use. You might have to find a forum specific to that. I use different ones, but there may be some similar things.....

>>> Now, when I load this POI file onto the Garmin using POI Loader, the loader program tells me that I've successfully loaded 533 files onto the Garmin. However, when I go to the place where the customized POIs are stored (you access it by going to "where to" on the main screen of the Garmin, then pushing the "saved" button), I get the message "no data available".

1. do you have to use POI Loader? Can't you download from BC to your device using the "Send" icon on the toolbar with your 2455 hooked up to BaseCamp?
2. My 550 has a similar issue with the 'saved' and 'no data there'. After you have downloaded your data doesn't it ask you if you want to import that data? If I miss that step and go to Favorites, there is no data. I have to then look through the Favorites menu and find the Import option. Do you have something like that on the 2455? The data can be downloaded to the device but not accessible until Imported.
3. do you have an external memory card installed on the 2455? Are you installing/downloading the POIs onto that rather than the internal memory? If I install straight to the internal memory on my 550, it does not read it but does fine when loaded to the external card.
4. You said you can tell the file is loaded to the device. Were you viewing that proof through the 2455 or your laptop? Can you hook your 2455 up to your computer while you have BaseCamp running? If so, it will show up at the bottom of the list under My Collection and all of your Folders and Lists. You should be able to click on it just like any other Folder, File or List and what is downloaded to it will show up in the data box on the left column below My Collection (as well as on the map). Thus you can see exactly what data is on the internal memory as well as what is on the external card.
5. When you removed the data from the 2455 using POI Loader, did you erase just the data or did you mistakenly erase the entire file and it's 'pathways'?
Yarz1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question from the electrically challenged Wee Willy Winky General V-Strom Discussion 5 01-13-2015 04:21 PM
Tire Question? But not which tire question VStromThom DL1000 from 2002-2012 11 03-23-2014 10:51 AM
wiring a ground question chetc General V-Strom Discussion 7 11-16-2012 05:38 PM
DL1000 Chain Question (ordering question) shawnubis DL1000 from 2002-2012 5 11-16-2012 09:31 AM
Dirt, gravel and mud question TheWall DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 19 06-02-2012 10:11 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome