Anyone here use a VPN service? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Techy World! GPS, Electronics, etc Electronics forum

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-31-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
RCinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,623
Anyone here use a VPN service?

As a privacy concern I'm contemplating using a VPN in the future. I know some of you guys are really into stuff like this, so I thought I'd seek out some info on here before relying on my own research. Can any of you recommend a reliable VPN service?

"No matter where you go, there you are."
RCinNC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
fortp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 833
fortp is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 03-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
NVDucati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northern Calif
Posts: 721
Here is a PC Magazine review: The Best VPN Services of 2017 | PCMag.com

Also, you can use Ixquick.com as a search engine (I do). They run a proxy over the google search engine.
On the ixquick start page you will see a page link "How We Protect You". Interesting.
RCinNC and Hank122 like this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
NVDucati is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 03-31-2017, 10:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadna area
Posts: 13,200
Duck Duck Go still gets tracked?
Funny that the legislators info is trying to be bought and published.
notacop is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 PM
$tromtrooper
 
chicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bishop, CA
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
Duck Duck Go still gets tracked?
Funny that the legislators info is trying to be bought and published.
Yes I saw that. Works for me!

14 tooth for me
chicago is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 03-31-2017, 10:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
slipstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NewYorkistan
Posts: 432
google "tor"

BOYCOTT Photobucket!
slipstream is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
RCinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,623
This is great info. I was just on the PC Magazine article supplied by NV Ducati, and I'm gradually starting to absorb this stuff. The prices don't seem to unreasonable either.

How does a VPN account work when you have another person living in the household that wants to use it too? I was assuming that access to the VPN was through some sort of passord (many years ago I had a work VPN that I accessed via a random number generated by a keyfob), but I don't know for sure. Can multiple people access the internet via the same VPN account, or is the account somehow user specific?

Bear with me...my computer knowledge is a bit rudimentary.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
RCinNC is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 03-31-2017, 11:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
NVDucati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northern Calif
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinNC View Post
T
How does a VPN account work when you have another person living in the household that wants to use it too? I was assuming that access to the VPN was through some sort of passord (many years ago I had a work VPN that I accessed via a random number generated by a keyfob), but I don't know for sure. Can multiple people access the internet via the same VPN account, or is the account somehow user specific?

Bear with me...my computer knowledge is a bit rudimentary.
Each company has a policy of how many devices can log on simultaneously. Might be 3 or might be 6, etc. Your household members will use it much the same as they use the household wifi / internet now. That is to say with the same login. Just that each device needs the VPN software.

And you only need to know about 16 current buzz words to be - not rudimentary ;-)

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
NVDucati is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 04-01-2017, 01:14 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7
I use a service called "Private Internet Access", it's $30 per year. It's not terribly fast, but I just use it for the things where I prefer anonymity over speed. If you were going to use it for all internet traffic I'd recommend paying more to get a higher speed service. With the recent changes to ISP consumer privacy laws, it's probably a good idea to be using a VPN for everything. I just haven't committed myself to paying more for a better service yet.
Gerbology is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 04-01-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
RCinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbology View Post
I use a service called "Private Internet Access", it's $30 per year. It's not terribly fast, but I just use it for the things where I prefer anonymity over speed. If you were going to use it for all internet traffic I'd recommend paying more to get a higher speed service. With the recent changes to ISP consumer privacy laws, it's probably a good idea to be using a VPN for everything. I just haven't committed myself to paying more for a better service yet.
That was the one that I'd moved to the top of my list, since it seemed to be one of the best rated. I'll probably take the advice of the PC World article and try out a few of them for a month and see what works best for me.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
RCinNC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome