For a winter project, I decided to build an adjustable mount that would accommodate various sized GPS units, plus different types of phones. The mount was built to attach to the accessory bar of a Yamaha Super Tenere, but the design would be easily adaptable to a V-strom. Minor changes in the size of the u-bolts and baseplate on the ball mount would allow it to fit around the handlebars of the V-strom, or just using the ball mount baseplate without the u-bolts would allow it to mount on an accessory shelf. I designed the mount to be able to be constructed using simple hand tools. A small 4” metal brake (that fits into my vise) was used to make all the bends in the aluminum. It was made primarily from 1/8” and .080” ABS sheet plastic, 2mm aluminum that I reclaimed from an ammo can lightening project from a couple years ago, and various bits of 1/16” and 1/8” aluminum angle from my scrap pile. Initially I was going to built the ball and socket armature, but it would have required the purchase of a 1” drill bit, and that would have pushed the cost of the project beyond what I wanted to spend. I ended up buying the RAM armature. I did build the ball mounts though, from scrap aluminum tubing and a couple of threaded 1” balls I bought from McMaster Carr. The ball mount for the accessory rail was made from 1/4” aluminum plate from the scrap pile, plus a couple u-bolts from the hardware store. I fabricated those inserts in the u-bolts from ABS plastic, and coated the contact surfaces with Shoe Goo to provide grip on the accessory rail. The inserts spread the load around the accessory rail so it holds really well without having to crank down on the u-bolt mounting nuts.
All the threaded holes in the mount for the adjustment knobs are made by drilling a recess in the plastic, then gluing a nut into the recess using JB Weld.
The points of the mount that contact the various electronic devices are sheathed in rubber, both to provide vibration insulation and increased holding strength. The adjustment knobs have spring loaded shafts, to prevent them from loosening from vibration.
The mount is designed to have an integrated sunshield that will work with any device that's placed in the mount. It will attach to the upper clamp with those two small thumbscrews. I'm still working on that.
The mount is very solid. Once it's set up for a particular device, only two knobs have to be loosened to remove the device from the mount. It's easy to adjust (and remove, if need be), and easy to swing out of the way if I don't want it in my line of sight any more. The side support arms probably aren't necessary, as the rubber pads are sticky enough that just the top clamp and support shelf hold the device very securely on their own. The side supports are added security. I've included a bunch of construction photos in my photo album, along with the various devices that can fit in the mount: https://www.stromtrooper.com/members/...gps-mount.html
The photos show the various devices I have that can be attached to the mount. They are an older Navigon GPS, a Magellan, an iPhone 5s, a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, and an old LG Octane phone (which is my day to day phone). Initially, the mount would hold a device the size of a Kindle, but I figured that was overkill so I shortened the upper clamp arms.
I have about $40.00 in materials in the project, mainly for the knobs, rubber, and the RAM armature. I was pretty pleased with the way it came out. I posted this in case anyone wants to use it as a springboard for their own ideas.