Splicing GPS cable? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Techy World! GPS, Electronics, etc Electronics forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
cpr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Posts: 835
Splicing GPS cable?

Before I do any kind of cutting I want to ask. I just bought a RAM Mount system with an Aqua Box for my Garmin 1690 GPS. Once you punch out the tabs on the Aqua Box, run the charging cable inside the box & screw the back plate with ball mount to the box, the cable can't be removed without taking off that plate. My cable is a hardwired type I bought on Amazon. It runs from the GPS to a box (I'm not an electrical expert so I'm sure there's a name for that little box, I just don't know what it is) and out of that box are a power & a ground that connect to the battery. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Hardwir.../dp/B001ISXXY8

So what I want to do is cut the cable while leaving a lead sticking out of the Aqua Box. I would then put a connector on each side of the cable so I can disconnect the cable & remove the whole RAM setup when not in use.

So my question is twofold: if I cut the GPS cable just how many wires are inside that shield, and what type of connectors would work?

I'm hoping someone here has done something like this before and can help because I hate having that huge Aqua Box in the way when I'm not using the GPS and I do NOT feel like taking the plate off the back every time I want to remove the RAM setup!

2007 Honda ST1300
2007 Suzuki DL1000
2003 Suzuki DL1000 (sold)
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (sold)
2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750IE (sold)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (sold)
2001 Suzuki Volusia CT50 (traded)
1986 Honda V65 Magna (sold)
1972 Honda CB350 (rode it 'till it dropped)
cpr4life is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
fortp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 833
Your "box" is a voltage converter, that convert your bike's 12V to 5V required by your GPS via usb cable.
In your USB cable, there are 4 wires, 2 for the data, and 2 for the power.
The 2 for the power are the outer terminals.
fortp is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 10-08-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
cpr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortp View Post
Your "box" is a voltage converter, that convert your bike's 12V to 5V required by your GPS via usb cable.
In your USB cable, there are 4 wires, 2 for the data, and 2 for the power.
The 2 for the power are the outer terminals.
Thank you! So is it possible to do what I want to do? If so, what type of connectors would I use?

2007 Honda ST1300
2007 Suzuki DL1000
2003 Suzuki DL1000 (sold)
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (sold)
2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750IE (sold)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (sold)
2001 Suzuki Volusia CT50 (traded)
1986 Honda V65 Magna (sold)
1972 Honda CB350 (rode it 'till it dropped)
cpr4life is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 10-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
fortp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr4life View Post
Thank you! So is it possible to do what I want to do? If so, what type of connectors would I use?
Sorry I did not understud what you want to do, and I dont know about this Aqua box. Just wanted to let you know about your voltage converter.
fortp is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 10-08-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
cpr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortp View Post
Sorry I did not understud what you want to do, and I dont know about this Aqua box. Just wanted to let you know about your voltage converter.
Forget all the details...I want to cut the cable & put a connector on each end so I can have a "quick disconnect".

2007 Honda ST1300
2007 Suzuki DL1000
2003 Suzuki DL1000 (sold)
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (sold)
2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750IE (sold)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (sold)
2001 Suzuki Volusia CT50 (traded)
1986 Honda V65 Magna (sold)
1972 Honda CB350 (rode it 'till it dropped)
cpr4life is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 10-08-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
cpr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Posts: 835
Maybe this image will help? The blue circle is around the plate on the back of the Aqua Box. It is attached with 4 screws that would need to be removed every time I wanted to take the rig off of the bike. The red arrow indicates where the cable goes into the back of the box, underneath the plate. The yellow arrow indicates, roughly, where I would like to cut the cable and put a connector on each end so I can have a quick connect / disconnect.

Would this be possible to do, and if so, what type of connectors would be required?


2007 Honda ST1300
2007 Suzuki DL1000
2003 Suzuki DL1000 (sold)
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (sold)
2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750IE (sold)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (sold)
2001 Suzuki Volusia CT50 (traded)
1986 Honda V65 Magna (sold)
1972 Honda CB350 (rode it 'till it dropped)
cpr4life is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 10-09-2014, 06:04 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
bwringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,299
Will the Garmin run with a generic USB cable and charger, or does it require some sort of goofy proprietary setup?

It would be a lot easier to just use a generic USB cable that plugs into a USB power adapter.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
bwringer is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
cpr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Will the Garmin run with a generic USB cable and charger, or does it require some sort of goofy proprietary setup?

It would be a lot easier to just use a generic USB cable that plugs into a USB power adapter.
For some reason (has to do with wires & pins and so on) Garmins can tell when they're not plugged into a CLA, so when plugged in to a charger on a bike they think they're plugged into a PC and go into data mode. There's a cable made by someone that's supposed to trick the Garmin so that won't happen, but that cable did not work for me. I'd be riding along somewhere and suddenly my GPS would be in data mode, rendering it useless. So I'd have to stop and fool around with it to get it back into map mode, lather...rinse...repeat...arrive late. No bueno.

So that's why I bought the cable to wire direct to the battery. GPS works fine, but what I didn't anticipate is the Aqua Box setup for running the power cable to the GPS. So all I would like to do is somehow put a quick connect/disconnect in this cable. However, electrical isn't my thing and there's no way I'm attempting it without someone telling me exactly how to do it!

I've searched the net but the only thing that comes up on splicing a GPS cable is boat owners talking about splicing a GPS antenna cable. Very frustrating!

2007 Honda ST1300
2007 Suzuki DL1000
2003 Suzuki DL1000 (sold)
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (sold)
2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750IE (sold)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (sold)
2001 Suzuki Volusia CT50 (traded)
1986 Honda V65 Magna (sold)
1972 Honda CB350 (rode it 'till it dropped)
cpr4life is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 10-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
xDownSetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 860
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Will the Garmin run with a generic USB cable and charger, or does it require some sort of goofy proprietary setup?

It would be a lot easier to just use a generic USB cable that plugs into a USB power adapter.
There's a reason the USB side of the connector is so fat. When my cable broke I took the whole charger apart looking for some identifying method Garmin used. After seeing nothing inside the charger I decided to cut apart the USB mini side... 17.4k Ohm resistor over an unreachable ID pin and ground. That's how it knows.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr4life View Post
For some reason (has to do with wires & pins and so on) Garmins can tell when they're not plugged into a CLA, so when plugged in to a charger on a bike they think they're plugged into a PC and go into data mode. There's a cable made by someone that's supposed to trick the Garmin so that won't happen, but that cable did not work for me. I'd be riding along somewhere and suddenly my GPS would be in data mode, rendering it useless. So I'd have to stop and fool around with it to get it back into map mode, lather...rinse...repeat...arrive late. No bueno.

So that's why I bought the cable to wire direct to the battery. GPS works fine, but what I didn't anticipate is the Aqua Box setup for running the power cable to the GPS. So all I would like to do is somehow put a quick connect/disconnect in this cable. However, electrical isn't my thing and there's no way I'm attempting it without someone telling me exactly how to do it!

I've searched the net but the only thing that comes up on splicing a GPS cable is boat owners talking about splicing a GPS antenna cable. Very frustrating!
It really depends on the wires inside the insulation of the cable. It's almost certainly just a supply and ground wire, data lines are unnecessary. If both of the wires inside the silver insulation are also individually insulated you can use any connector you want. But if the ground wire is bare you have narrowed options. See if that box has any screws holding it together, if it does open it up and take a picture.

'06 Silver DL1000

Last edited by xDownSetx; 10-09-2014 at 02:57 PM.
xDownSetx is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 10-09-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
cpr4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDownSetx View Post
It really depends on the wires inside the insulation of the cable. It's almost certainly just a supply and ground wire, data lines are unnecessary. If both of the wires inside the silver insulation are also individually insulated you can use any connector you want. But if the ground wire is bare you have narrowed options. See if that box has any screws holding it together, if it does open it up and take a picture.
I don't think it does but I'll check. Thank you!

2007 Honda ST1300
2007 Suzuki DL1000
2003 Suzuki DL1000 (sold)
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (sold)
2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750IE (sold)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (sold)
2001 Suzuki Volusia CT50 (traded)
1986 Honda V65 Magna (sold)
1972 Honda CB350 (rode it 'till it dropped)
cpr4life is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome