Can you do this with any GPS? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Techy World! GPS, Electronics, etc Electronics forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Clarinda, Iowa
Posts: 935
Can you do this with any GPS?

I don't know much about GPS's and am thinking of getting one.

The one thing i'd like to do with it would be to plot a route from point A to B using non paved roads. Dirt or gravel.

Do they have a feature to do this?

If so what is that called so i know what to look for.

-
-
-
"I used to do drugs......... I still do...... But i used to too" .................... Mitch Hedberg... RIP
Gravehunter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 12:39 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter View Post
I don't know much about GPS's and am thinking of getting one.

The one thing i'd like to do with it would be to plot a route from point A to B using non paved roads. Dirt or gravel.

Do they have a feature to do this?

If so what is that called so i know what to look for.
The Garmin Zumo series can do that.
darkjedip is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Clarinda, Iowa
Posts: 935
I found it.. "Route avoidance"

Thanks for the info.

-
-
-
"I used to do drugs......... I still do...... But i used to too" .................... Mitch Hedberg... RIP

Last edited by Gravehunter; 02-23-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Gravehunter is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Clarinda, Iowa
Posts: 935
ok, i guess everything i want in a GPS is in the Zumo so its time to bite the bullet and get one instead of cheaping out for somthing i won't like in the end.



I have found it for $585 with free shipping online and is in stock.

Anyone know of any place that is a better deal? Thats already cheaper than i thought i could get one.


Thought i might ask before i buy it.

-
-
-
"I used to do drugs......... I still do...... But i used to too" .................... Mitch Hedberg... RIP

Last edited by Gravehunter; 02-24-2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: found it cheaper
Gravehunter is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Tollster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,852
Thats a very good deal on "New". I found the preferences on my Zumo 550 software, set up in mapsource/edit/preferences/routing as "Shortest distance or faster time, and then you can also choose avoidanced roads such as " Tolls, Unpaved, Ferries, carppols, U-turns, combined with a 7 position slider that is either Perfer Minor roads, or perfer hiways.
I am not sure I could do a 100% dirt roads trip in my mapsource, but have never tried.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"
"Nothings possible until its done!"
"If ya can't afford the fine, take the lead!"
Tollster is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Clarinda, Iowa
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollster View Post
Thats a very good deal on "New". I found the preferences on my Zumo 550 software, set up in mapsource/edit/preferences/routing as "Shortest distance or faster time, and then you can also choose avoidanced roads such as " Tolls, Unpaved, Ferries, carppols, U-turns, combined with a 7 position slider that is either Perfer Minor roads, or perfer hiways.
I am not sure I could do a 100% dirt roads trip in my mapsource, but have never tried.


Ok, thats good enough for me. At least it will avoid paved roads instead of only trying to map on paved roads. I've been putting off getting because i like to ride to someplace taking gravel and dirt alot to see the countryside and a GPS would just try to send me down a paved road. With this feature on the Zumo it makes it very interesting to me.

$585 was the cheapest i ended up finding. The 579 was not with free shipping.

thank you for your response.

-
-
-
"I used to do drugs......... I still do...... But i used to too" .................... Mitch Hedberg... RIP
Gravehunter is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Tollster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter View Post
Ok, thats good enough for me. At least it will avoid paved roads instead of only trying to map on paved roads. I've been putting off getting because i like to ride to someplace taking gravel and dirt alot to see the countryside and a GPS would just try to send me down a paved road. With this feature on the Zumo it makes it very interesting to me.

$585 was the cheapest i ended up finding. The 579 was not with free shipping.

thank you for your response.
One thing I found that was really cool is once you have your route established in mapsource, you can change the file format and then perform a satillite flyby of the whole route in google earth. My 70 year old dad and I did a 1700 mile trip last year, I did the flyby at about 500' and was able to insure they where all hardballs. My dad was on his roadking and I rode the wee.
I doubt you'll be dissapointed in the Zumo 550, its an amaizing. Garmin also are very good foks for customer satifaction, updates, and so on. Once you get it, PM me and I will send you some great links to help get you started. Forgive my spelling, its not as good as it used to be, and i don't know why. I got mine from the GPSLADY.com and want to say 669 or so.
Toll

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"
"Nothings possible until its done!"
"If ya can't afford the fine, take the lead!"
Tollster is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: University of Memphis
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedip View Post
The Garmin Zumo series can do that.
The Zumo has a paved road avoidance? I'd like to see that.

My 2610 has several avoidance features, and it does only a mediocre job of following my desires. Set it to avoid highways and often it sends me down the interstate.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the Zumo has an "Avoid Paved Roads" feature.

Jamie
Jamie Z is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Clarinda, Iowa
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollster View Post
One thing I found that was really cool is once you have your route established in mapsource, you can change the file format and then perform a satillite flyby of the whole route in google earth. My 70 year old dad and I did a 1700 mile trip last year, I did the flyby at about 500' and was able to insure they where all hardballs. My dad was on his roadking and I rode the wee.
I doubt you'll be dissapointed in the Zumo 550, its an amaizing. Garmin also are very good foks for customer satifaction, updates, and so on. Once you get it, PM me and I will send you some great links to help get you started. Forgive my spelling, its not as good as it used to be, and i don't know why. I got mine from the GPSLADY.com and want to say 669 or so.
Toll


will do, thank you!

-
-
-
"I used to do drugs......... I still do...... But i used to too" .................... Mitch Hedberg... RIP
Gravehunter is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Gravehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Clarinda, Iowa
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
The Zumo has a paved road avoidance? I'd like to see that.

My 2610 has several avoidance features, and it does only a mediocre job of following my desires. Set it to avoid highways and often it sends me down the interstate.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the Zumo has an "Avoid Paved Roads" feature.

Jamie


If you go to the link below and then click on "specs" (it won't let me link driectly to the specs page) you'll see it says "Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.)"

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414&tab=zumo

Hopfully it works because its about 95% of the reason i am buying a GPS at all!

-
-
-
"I used to do drugs......... I still do...... But i used to too" .................... Mitch Hedberg... RIP
Gravehunter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome