Garmin (Zumo) user questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Techy World! GPS, Electronics, etc Electronics forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Garmin (Zumo) user questions

I just installed my new Zumo 450 and I have a couple of questions.

1.) What is the difference between a "track" and a "route"?

2.) Is it possible to transfer more than 1 map at a time from MapSource to the Zumo?

DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 06:38 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
A track is where the vehicle has traveled. A route is built using the map and via points. I've never transferred a map to the Zumo. http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/ is a good source for Zumo info.

It changed again. http://www.zumoforums.com/

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

Last edited by greywolf; 08-21-2007 at 07:48 PM.
greywolf is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Poser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 342
You can create as many routes as you want and transfer them all at once.

2007 DL1000 - Givi Bags and Top Case - Madstad bracket with stock shield - Zumo 550 - Murphs brace - H&B center stand - Sargent seat - Switched relay electrical harness - Power Commander III USB - Highway pegs - Driver backrest
Poser is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 06:57 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Cheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 573
You plan routes and create them, and what you have actually traveled is a track. You can create tracks and edit them, but tracks are usually the info your GPS has collected as you ride.

Yes you can load as many maps as your internal memory and SD card will hold. I have all of my topo and National parks 24k topo plus the NT8 maps loaded on my Zumo. Just make sure when you upload the maps you want go to the SD card so you don't fill you internal memory.

They are selectable through the map info page. You can check/uncheck the maps you want to view etc.

Only issue is if the NT8 or 2008 that comes with zumo is selected you wont get the detail of the topo maps etc. So uncheck the NT maps and leave the map you want to display checked.

PM me if you want more detail....... Got to love the Zumo. I have 7 GPS over 15 years and it is by far the best one I have owned when it comes to riding on a bike.

'06 DL1000 Farkled
'04 XR650L

Cheff is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
A track is where the vehicle has traveled. A route is built using the map and via points. I've never transferred a map to the Zumo. http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/ is a good source for Zumo info.
Thanks grey. I've been making routes in MapSource and transferring them to the Zumo. I think it is easier than making the maps right in the Zumo, at least, so far it is for me.

I have a link to that forum but its been down the last couple of days. :???:

DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poser View Post
You can create as many routes as you want and transfer them all at once.
I tried and all I got was multiple copies of the first route in the series. Any tricks?

DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Thanks. I'm going to play with it some more. Don't be surprised if you get a PM from me though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheff View Post
You plan routes and create them, and what you have actually traveled is a track. You can create tracks and edit them, but tracks are usually the info your GPS has collected as you ride.

Yes you can load as many maps as your internal memory and SD card will hold. I have all of my topo and National parks 24k topo plus the NT8 maps loaded on my Zumo. Just make sure when you upload the maps you want go to the SD card so you don't fill you internal memory.

They are selectable through the map info page. You can check/uncheck the maps you want to view etc.

Only issue is if the NT8 or 2008 that comes with zumo is selected you wont get the detail of the topo maps etc. So uncheck the NT maps and leave the map you want to display checked.

PM me if you want more detail....... Got to love the Zumo. I have 7 GPS over 15 years and it is by far the best one I have owned when it comes to riding on a bike.

DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 07:04 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Cheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
I tried and all I got was multiple copies of the first route in the series. Any tricks?
Are all your routes in the same .gpx or .gbd file?

If so make sure you import them when you get your Zumo back to operating mode. Go to user data, and it should prompt you to import them once they are transferred.

I sent you a PM call me if you still have issues.

'06 DL1000 Farkled
'04 XR650L

Cheff is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheff View Post
Are all your routes in the same .gpx or .gbd file?

If so make sure you import them when you get your Zumo back to operating mode. Go to user data, and it should prompt you to import them once they are transferred.

I sent you a PM call me if you still have issues.
All separate .gdb files. I've been doing them one at a time but I'll figure it out. :twisted:

DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome