I own a 2009 DL650. I also am the owner of a fat butt that is too heavy for said DL650. However, I don't have the mucho dinero required to equip my bike with an upgrade shock - so I chose to go the route of a new spring.
I doubt this thread will be all that helpful to anyone thinking about upgrading to a heavier spring on their stock shock, but I figured I would share some of the pics I took while I worked on my bike - just in case anyone was curious about the procedure.
It was WAY too cold to ride last weekend, so after ordering a new spring from Race Tech, and a couple new dog bones, I went ahead and pulled the shock.
After pulling the shock, I used a soldering iron to heat up the set screw, and it came right off - no problem at all. Sorry, didn't get any pics.
After doing some head-scratching
, I figured out how to get the old spring off without going to the trouble of making a jig for my floor jack. I used my wood-working pipe clamps. Easy Peasy
This pic isn't very good, but if you look closely, you can see the retaining ring. Note: it isn't necessary to compress the spring as far as you see in this pic. You just need to clear the retaining ring - then you pry it off with a screwdriver - and then release the clamps.
The parts turned out to be easy to clean up after the spring was off.
Later in the week, the new dog-bones came in the mail and I partially installed them. I couldn't bolt on the bottoms until the shock was installed first.
Also, for what it's worth, in order to get the shock off the bike I took a number of other parts off - for easier access ...
... so I could get to this area (where the shock's top bolt was)
Well, Santa in the brown uniform delivered my new spring yesterday
...along with the needed bushings
I was kinda surprised that NO directions were included, but after futzing around with the parts for a few seconds, it was clear that there was only one way for all of the pieces to fit together.
New compared to old
I stacked it all together and into the pipe clamps.
Then compressed the spring enough to re-install the retaining clip. The spring was noticeably stiffer then the old one - just by the feel of the clamp screws.
Then I re-set the set screw
The rest is pretty much common sense; I slipped the shock back in place, re-installed the pre-load adjuster,
checked the manual for the settings,
and torqued everything back together
The finished assembly
I was pleased the lean wasn't too severe, and that the center stand still lifted the rear tire off the ground.
Hope this helps any potential / future spring-swappers. While I am no expert, I will be happy to answer any questions that I can.