Replacement Tires - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Suspension and Tire Tech For all discussions related to your suspension and tire set-ups.

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 09-04-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Jpauley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlottetown PEI, Canada
Posts: 110
Garage
Replacement Tires

Just Curious what tires you folks installed when the battle wings wore out, Im doing mostly highway with the odd jaunts on dirt roads... but id say 95% long distance Paved road work for me..

Super Tenere XT1200es
Jpauley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 09-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
ToadRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nelson BC
Posts: 1,041
Mitas 08s. Or 07s if you do the dirt a bit more.

http://www.mx1canada.com/Mitas-Motorcycle-Tires-Canada/
ToadRide is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 09-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alstonville NSW Australia
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpauley View Post
Just Curious what tires you folks installed when the battle wings wore out, Im doing mostly highway with the odd jaunts on dirt roads... but id say 95% long distance Paved road work for me..
The Battlewing 501/502 ours came with were perfect for 90/10 road dirt road. We ride 2 up/luggage and fast in corners.
The battlewings were excellent. 12,000ks from the rear and would have got 18,000 from the front.
Now running Conti TKC70s as I am prepared to slow down on the road so I can speed up on the dirt
If you ride the V2 as a road bike, choose road tyres. You dont want to sacrifice or compromise the 95% of your riding time on road to "better" the 5% of your riding time on the dirt..

Paul and Dixie and our V2
DL1000A 2015. SW-Motec crash bars and skid plate,Givi Airflo screen,Givi rear Hugger,Factory low seat,Barkbusters with Storm guards,Factory Tank Protector, Factory centre stand,RadGuard Radiator Guard,home made top box adaptor plate with poverty top box,Factory hard panniers,Zumo390LM,TKC70's,windshield lowered 50mm with custom mounting plates,motopressor tyre inflator,Virgins breath in the tyres,Barrett exhaust,AWESOME rider and pillion.
We2V2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 32 Old 09-04-2016, 10:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadna area
Posts: 13,571
Or Shinko's 705 for the ADV group and 712's for the street people.
Shinko 805, knobbies for the more dirt oriented.
We2V2 likes this.
notacop is offline  
post #5 of 32 Old 09-05-2016, 01:06 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bogfarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: The Northwet
Posts: 281
Garage
I swapped a set of rather ragged Anakee 3's for a pair of Tourance Next. Handling has decidedly changed for the better. On the Anakees stopping required a fist full of brake, yet now a light touch does the deed. Tourance Next tires give the Wee a sport-bike feel, an eagerness to maneuver the Anakee 3 decidedly lacks. A bottle of Ride On inside each wheel took about four blocks to balance the tires. It's like riding on glass, like the Anakees had a background vibration now missing. I'm 210lbs in gear, riding with 36/40 pressures.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
Bogfarth is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 09-05-2016, 01:21 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Monmouth, OR
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by We2V2 View Post
The Battlewing 501/502 ours came with were perfect for 90/10 road dirt road. We ride 2 up/luggage and fast in corners.
The battlewings were excellent. 12,000ks from the rear and would have got 18,000 from the front.
Now running Conti TKC70s as I am prepared to slow down on the road so I can speed up on the dirt
If you ride the V2 as a road bike, choose road tyres. You dont want to sacrifice or compromise the 95% of your riding time on road to "better" the 5% of your riding time on the dirt..
Couldn't agree more. OEM b-wings seemed to be good for aggressive on pavement cornering while being long lasting. Can't agree with previous post recommending Miata 07 for 95% pavement...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
We2V2 likes this.

2015 DL1000 ADV
2thDr is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 09-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Null 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,049
Garage
I only tried the battlewing, the tourance, the k60 and the trailwing so far.

By far, I have prefered the bw in terms of tarmac handling and mileage. The fact they cost so much less than tourance is a big bonus.

I'm stuck with a tw right now, because the bw were backorder. My dealership has put an order for a set to put aside till my next change.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
Null 13 is offline  
post #8 of 32 Old 09-05-2016, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Jpauley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Charlottetown PEI, Canada
Posts: 110
Garage
Anyone tried the conti trail allack 2's?

Super Tenere XT1200es
Jpauley is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Hard miles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Brunswick, Can
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogfarth View Post
I swapped a set of rather ragged Anakee 3's for a pair of Tourance Next. Handling has decidedly changed for the better. On the Anakees stopping required a fist full of brake, yet now a light touch does the deed. Tourance Next tires give the Wee a sport-bike feel, an eagerness to maneuver the Anakee 3 decidedly lacks. A bottle of Ride On inside each wheel took about four blocks to balance the tires. It's like riding on glass, like the Anakees had a background vibration now missing. I'm 210lbs in gear, riding with 36/40 pressures.
How long did the anakee 3 "rear" last? I have tried the Tourance & the K76. Looking to at the Anakee 3 to see if long distance paved road can improve.

Does anyone know of a long distance "rear" street tire that would fit the strom (150/70-17) , does not have to be a radial. Planning another cross Canada trip and would prefer not having to change tires part way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hard miles is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 09-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
SpecVstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sonoma County California
Posts: 24
My first set of street tires on the Vee (DL1000K9) were Bridgestone BT-023's. I really liked the feel of the bike. I do 99% back road commuting.
I'd mostly ridden on Metzler Tourance, and Tourance 2
I just put on a set of Bridgestone Battlax T-30 EVO ordered from jakewilson.com Only $245 US total to my door before rebate.
In the USA, that's sales tax free to me in CA and free shipping. Came in 3 days. Bridgestone has a $50 Visa card rebate until Sept. 30th. Final price under $200
I am doing the brakes today, so haven't ridden it since the install. I expect they will be great. My mechanic who mounted the tires said they were a really good tire.

Jaden

DL1000K9
2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer
2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV
2014 Ford Focus Electric
And, the FFE costs the least per mile to fuel!!!
SpecVstrom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome