NC Temp Tags? Out of State Purchase - help! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
South and Southeast AL, AR, TX, TN, NC, SC, GA, LA, Miss., KY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 12
NC Temp Tags? Out of State Purchase - help!

Local inmates - question for ye.

I've just agreed to buy an ADVrider inmate's DL650. He's located in VA, and I'm in NC. I know some states issue temporary tags you can use to drive home with. I've read that NC does not.

I've also read that VA allows current owners to print out a "Transit Permit" ( for the trip. But the page is confusing in that it doesn't directly address purchasing a vehicle in VA and registering out of state.

I'm going to call both the NC and VA DMVs tomorrow to try to get a solution. I'll also insure the thing, so at least that'll be covered.

I'd love to hear if anyone has had experience with this lovely little bureaucratic SNAFU.

jakebaldridge is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
DoMo's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northeast NC
Posts: 11
I was faced with the same problem a couple weeks ago... and opted to borrow a friends trailer to get my bike from Chapan, SC to Elizabeth City, NC. I couldn't get my NC tags till I went to DMV w/ the title and proof of insurance... oh, and about 120 bucs... That was the path of least resistance for me... Good luck!
DoMo is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 40
I went the less legal way on my last bike purchase. I insured it and just put my plate from another bike on it and rode it home.....carefully......
Izrock is offline  
post #4 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
DougInKY's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 1,253
Send a message via AIM to DougInKY Send a message via Skype™ to DougInKY
I live only 19 miles from Tennessee in Kentucky. Just purchased a car in TN a couple of months ago. The dealership put KY temp tags on it and then sent me the title so I could register in fully in KY. It appears to me that KY and TN have some sort of agreement so this can be done. I wouldn't be surprised if VA and NC have some sort of similar agreement. Check with the NC DMV. It might be easier to do than you think.

2007 Wee-Strom (*SOLD*)
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
1980 Honda Express (my toy!)
DougInKY is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome