First Trip to the OBX - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
South and Southeast AL, AR, TX, TN, NC, SC, GA, LA, Miss., KY

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 2
First Trip to the OBX

Greetings all,

I just bought my first bike over the July 4th weekend (have been riding on/off for ~5 years, but always on a rental or someone else's) and love it. I bought a new 2011 Suzuki DL650 Wee Strom and made it electric yellow. My dad bought one, too, so we are two peas in a pod (its his 2nd bike and he's been riding for 30+ years).

I just scheduled my vacation for the year over the week of Labor Day and would like to take a trip out to the Outer Banks as I have only been once (March 2009) for a few hours on business but really liked it and would love to go back.

HOWEVER, I'm a total n00b since my bike has less than 600 miles on it and while I've taken some small bike trips before, it was never one I actually planned myself. So I need some advice.
  1. I'm in the process of building a farkle wish list and will execute on most of it prior to departure (panniers, tank bag, tools, tire repair, etc) so I'll at least be modestly prepared to travel.Any particular items a n00b (or any rider, for that matter) should never leave home without?
  2. I live around Knoxville, TN so I'll be riding completely across the state of NC and back. My travel dates are flexible but I have a feeling that my initial route of ~1,200 miles for 4 days is pretty aggressive. Is it?
  3. Any suggestions on routes to take between TN and OBX that would be good? It should go without saying that Interstates are verboten with state roads being preferred medium of travel. Currently, I'm planning to go from Knoxville --> Boone --> Roanoke Rapids --> Elizabeth City --> Ocracoke --> Morehead City --> Boone --> Knoxville. Any route suggestions or links to other threads would be great.
  4. Any general experience regarding planning to the OBX that I should factor in?

Thanks in advance!
Midas Mulligan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
larry0071's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh (Beaver County) PA
Posts: 230
1200 miles over 4 days is about a 300 mile a day average, that is very relaxing. If you super slab it, your only talking 5 hours of riding. You will do a lot of sitting bored or walking around WallMart stores trying to blow time.

You can easily cover 400-500 in a day with plenty of food and rest stops where you chill for 30-60 minutes. If you hit the road at 9-ish and plan to ride until 8-ish you can rest a lot, say 4 hours of your day.... and still have 6 hours of ride time and make 350 miles.

If you take 2 lanes, you will need to decrease your travel speeds according, and things become a bit more pushed for time.

Depends on how you like to get there. Are you in it for the ride or for the destination? If for the ride, go 2 lane secondary highways and poke along. If your in it for the destination, hit the interstate and get'er done.

Different strokes for different folks. Im partial to the interstates if I want to get to a destination. I can easily make 500-600 mile days without any serious discomfort on the stock DL1000 seat. On the KLR with any seat i've tried, 400 miles has me wanting to push it over a cliff. I do have highway pegs on my crash bars, and I go back and forth from the stock pegs to the highway pegs to allow me to change pressure points around and not develop any sore spots. If I were stuck on the stock pegs only I suspect I would not be so happy about 500+ mile days.... you can only move so much with your feet in one place.

03 DL1000 -Jesse Oddyses, PCIII USB, Staintune Mufflers, WindStrom Touring, WindStrom Laminer, Progressive fork springs with Amsoil 5W, KN filters, Givi E450 trunk, Corbin Seat, Heated Grips, Motech Crash bars and skid plate and Highway pegs, Amsoil 10-40 in her belly.
09 KLR650
09 KLX250
07 Rhino 660
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
larry0071 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Living the Stereotype
 
Stromin'Nroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henderson County, NC
Posts: 11,543
You may want to try a 200 to 300 mile day on the same types of roads you are planning for the big trip to get a sense of your endurance on the medieval seat and general ergonomics of the bike. If that works, try a longer day. For many long trip offer diminishing returns; that is to say the first day you may be good for 400 miles, but with each successive day your endurance diminishes to the point where you're looking at Wrightsville Beach real estate rags at the mention of your return trip..

You might also want to try some nighttime and rain riding at your discretion, so that the first time you encounter either (or worse yet, both together) won't be while you are trying to make it home for work the next day.

And don't forget dear old dad, he may not have your stamina or vice versa.

You'll get lots more help here, have fun, you may want to include some of the Blue Ridge Parkway on your route.

Cheers, Norm

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Stromin'Nroman is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
T3/T4 Hybrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NC (BSG-41)
Posts: 1,033
Midas I did a ride last year from Norfolk VA down to Wilmington NC which included the OBX.

Here is a link to my ride report which has a lot of information on whats out there.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-rep...seum-trip.html

The only thing I wish that I could have down was the museum at Kitty Hawk for the Wright Brothers.

On what to take that's a hard one. If you are camping then you will need more. If your staying at a hotel then you will need less. :mrgreen:

The essentials for me is a tire repair (plug kit) and small pump plus some chain lube. Luggage is what ever you want. If I wasnt camping then my two side panniers and top box is plenty. No need for the water proof duffle bag. My tank bag houses only my small stuff that I might need to get to quickly.

Also becareful with sand!!!! It can bite you quick.

Next week I head out for the SC and GA coast. I can't wait!

It's kind of strange, how the mountains pay us no attention at ll. You laugh or cry and the wind just keeps on blowing.

Flint Gray 2002 DL1000

Last edited by T3/T4 Hybrid; 07-19-2011 at 05:06 PM.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3/T4 Hybrid View Post
Midas I did a ride last year from Norfolk VA down to Wilmington NC which included the OBX.

The only thing I wish that I could have down was the museum at Kitty Hawk for the Wright Brothers.
I didn't get to the museum either (didn't know there was one), but I spent several hours walking around the First Flight Memorial and it was gorgeous.
Midas Mulligan is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
T3/T4 Hybrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NC (BSG-41)
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas Mulligan View Post
I didn't get to the museum either (didn't know there was one), but I spent several hours walking around the First Flight Memorial and it was gorgeous.
Looks like I am the one that made the mistake, there is only a Memorial. Sorry

It's kind of strange, how the mountains pay us no attention at ll. You laugh or cry and the wind just keeps on blowing.

Flint Gray 2002 DL1000

Last edited by T3/T4 Hybrid; 07-20-2011 at 03:31 PM.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bean Station, Tn
Posts: 11
RE: First Trip to the OBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas Mulligan View Post
Greetings all,

I just bought my first bike over the July 4th weekend (have been riding on/off for ~5 years, but always on a rental or someone else's) and love it. I bought a new 2011 Suzuki DL650 Wee Strom and made it electric yellow. My dad bought one, too, so we are two peas in a pod (its his 2nd bike and he's been riding for 30+ years).

I just scheduled my vacation for the year over the week of Labor Day and would like to take a trip out to the Outer Banks as I have only been once (March 2009) for a few hours on business but really liked it and would love to go back.

HOWEVER, I'm a total n00b since my bike has less than 600 miles on it and while I've taken some small bike trips before, it was never one I actually planned myself. So I need some advice.
  1. I'm in the process of building a farkle wish list and will execute on most of it prior to departure (panniers, tank bag, tools, tire repair, etc) so I'll at least be modestly prepared to travel.Any particular items a n00b (or any rider, for that matter) should never leave home without?
  2. I live around Knoxville, TN so I'll be riding completely across the state of NC and back. My travel dates are flexible but I have a feeling that my initial route of ~1,200 miles for 4 days is pretty aggressive. Is it?
  3. Any suggestions on routes to take between TN and OBX that would be good? It should go without saying that Interstates are verboten with state roads being preferred medium of travel. Currently, I'm planning to go from Knoxville --> Boone --> Roanoke Rapids --> Elizabeth City --> Ocracoke --> Morehead City --> Boone --> Knoxville. Any route suggestions or links to other threads would be great.
  4. Any general experience regarding planning to the OBX that I should factor in?
Thanks in advance!
I to live in East Tennessee. From K'town unless you want to go do the Dragon, I'd take 25E through Newport. It'll take you over to Hot Springs, Nc.

If you want to do the Dragon you could go through Cherokee to Maggie Valley.

Once you get though Ashville take old 74 down through Chimney Rock.

From there I'll have to bow down to a Tarheel with more local knowledge then I.

Hope it helps and give me a shout sometime and we'll get together.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Gordon
glfoster68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome