Sault Ste Marie to Thunder Bay
Just finished up a nice little trip up part of the way around Lake Superior. We trailered the bikes up from the Detroit metro area to Sault Ste Marie on day 1. Here's what the basic trip looked like:
- Day 1: Started in Sault Ste Marie, on the American side and ended in Wawa at a nice B&B. We had several little stops along the way, mostly scenic stuff (Old Woman Harbor and the like).
- Day 2: Wawa to Shuniah. We stopped several times along the way to see different things. Biggest stop was in Terrace Bay where we went to the falls there. Certainly worth the stop. We also did their pictograph rock thing. Very cool (I'm a fan of native art, so seeing the Michipeshu and other stuff was interesting). I'd say that this hike is a bit more fun. The pictographs are right on the edge of the water and, if you don't have gripping shoes, it'd be easy to go in the drink.
- Day 3: We rented a cabin up in Shuniah and did nothing useful that day but relax, eat, and drink margaritas.
- Day 4: Back to Wawa, with no real stops other than White River (where Winnie the Pooh got his start).
- Day 5: Was supposed to be the Algoma Loop, but rain made that a non-starter. We stayed in our B&B for another day and did some minor exploring in the area. Found a neat dirt road that went along Wawa Lake, up past Myka Lake, that needed us to ride on it, so we had some fun there.
- Day 6: The group rode back to Sault Ste Marie and trailered up, but I was enjoying the ride enough that I just rode the rest of the way back to our place north of Detroit. About 464 miles of riding that day.
One of these days I'll actually load some pics up, but it was a fun ride. Just under 1,400 miles for me. The Wee performed admirably.