Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums - Reply to Topic
Maintenance How-to WARNING! If you follow these posts and something goes wrong - Stromtroopers is not responsible for any damages, etc. You assume all risk.

Thread: Yet More Loose Magnets! Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
09-25-2017 04:11 AM
aTuWitty OK- I did the external filter mod on my last K3, that will be the next thing I do. I just find it odd that it didn't have the issue prior to the stator magnet fix. Weird!
09-22-2017 11:16 AM
greywolf See the appropriate sticky threads at Fuel Injection

The fuel flow test and external fuel filter mod may be especially on point.
09-22-2017 02:38 AM
Big B Disconnect the power commander.....Its an 03 and would likely be a good idea to check fuel flow test from the pump.
09-22-2017 02:24 AM
aTuWitty Thanks again. I scraped off the old gasket yesterday (my least favorite part in all of my mechanicking journeys), spread some gasket seal on both sides of the new gasket, put it on, and let it cure. Got home tonight and loaded it up with oil and installed the sprocket cover and clutch slave cylinder. Oddly, there were two small dowel pins whose origin I was unsure of sitting on the ground. The main dowel pin in the stator cover was in, as were the two for the sprocket cover. I installed the slave cylinder, but found that the lower, longer bolt would not rest securely against the slave cylinder, so that when I pulled the clutch, it would pop out a bit. I used one of these dowel pins as a spacer against the head of the bolt so that it would hold it down securely. I don't remember doing this when I changed the front sprocket a few years ago...

Now, for the fun part. Battery with bike off showed 12.05 volts. Bike fired right up, showed 14.5 volts (vs 12.6 before I rearranged and JB Welded the magnets). After a few minutes of idling, I shut the bike off, and the battery was at 13 volts- awesome. However, the bike does NOT want to rev above 7.5k RPM! Taking it up there results in a serious hiccup and the lost of a thousand RPMs before it picks back up.

My first thought was that the ECU/Power Commander may have been wonky from the low voltage and now that it's back up to normal voltage it's pushing too much fuel into the cylinders... very confusing. It didn't have this problem a few weeks ago when I started on the project.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
09-19-2017 09:26 PM
realshelby The holes are not even in the replacement rotors. No worries.
09-19-2017 04:10 AM
greywolf The only problem I can imagine with that is if the amounts of epoxy are so irregularly spaced as to put the rotor out of balance.
09-19-2017 03:53 AM
aTuWitty Thank you, Pat and Terry! Also- I may or may not have covered up the rotor holes with the magnets rather than leaving them open. I'm assuming this also isn't a problem, as the holes had been covered for who knows how long since the magnets all bunched up, but I might as well ask here rather than risk some epic failure down the road!
09-17-2017 09:53 AM
realshelby You should be fine the way you done it. Early on in the "JB Weld" fix many owners would put a layer under the magnets. That caused problems. If you don't squeeze about all of it out ( which is not all that easy ) then the magnets would catch on the stator poles. Not good.

Since then there have been many that just cleaned things up and built a bridge between the magnets with JB Weld. Just try to get a fairly equal amount between them. I know of no failures when done correctly to start with.

I would do this to a brand new rotor before installing it.
09-17-2017 09:14 AM
Old Time Rider This place is good for know how. I am sure not a great wrench by a long shot but try to do most my own and have done a little for friends. Elc. is my weak spot and all advice welcome.
09-17-2017 12:15 AM
greywolf That should do it. The magnets stick to the rotor by magnetic force and they won't climb over the JB- Weld.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome