|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|03-20-2019 02:22 PM|
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
My thought is to buy a non glass anti-glare screen in matte made for an iphone + and cut it down. If I squeeze hard enough I can get the $5 in change from a hundred....ones
|03-20-2019 02:02 PM|
Originally Posted by Dread7 View Post
Zombie thread for sure!
Anyway I use a phone for GPS and have it Ram mounted on the handle bars. To reduce glare I just tilt it a bit, usually doesn't take much.
Simple and cheap like me.
|03-20-2019 01:29 PM|
|Dread7||AHH I love old tech threads and the information you can glean from them. While this is originally from 2014 kudos to the person that realized the glare is from their high viz jacket. I will be looking at phone anti glare screen protectors that can be cut to size for my Nuvi project|
|03-19-2019 05:38 PM|
I have a garmin 595lm and it is hard to see in daylight. Has anyone compared it to the tom tom 550 on a group ride to compare them side by side?
|08-05-2014 12:41 AM|
G 590 Review
1. It is sunlight readable all the time. Facing a mid afternoon sun, I could see in the display my flapping yellow safety vest but still see the display.
2 It has about 3 sq in more display area than the 4.3 in Nuvi and nearly all of it is map because you can't display lots of other things: gone are elevation and time to destination at the same time but you can display a lot of those things on the fly one at a time.
3. It took my mini sd card with 24K TOPO and uses it fine. The user interface is different enough that I will take some time getting used to it.
4. I won't use the connectivity features.
5. The included Moto mount is a very robust RAM mount with a thick cable running out the side that has pwr and grn wires, audio out, headset in, and a USB (in or out I don't know). When connected there is no sound. If you use the included car pwr cable, 12 v to mini plug on the back of the G 590, you will have sound.
6. As you all know, or should know, there are very few sunny days here in the Seattle Area so I feel a little foolish for shelling out for this thing when the Nuvi 2455 worked just fine except in bright sunlight, which as you know only too well, is so rare in Seattle. A Texican would surely find the G 590 worth every penny.
|07-28-2014 11:17 PM|
I ordered it today. As far as I can tell there are no other auto/moto GPS devices with the transreflective display I'll report in the future.
|07-22-2014 05:40 PM|
Tnkrplt's response was very helpful. I will try Mitch96's methods. I always were a safety vest and I did notice it flapping in the NUVI display. I have a tank bag with a reflective clear plastic top cover and usually have a large yellow part pass in it. I've got a plain black leather jacket and will try it. I can change the angle of the Nuvi on the bar mounted RAM mount and somethings that will improve things but with the sun shield I made the range of motion is limited. I wish I could see a TT Rider but I won't get one anyway because I couldn't use the map sys I have built up. Plus, my research is that the transreflective display is paramount because other ones all rely on backlighting that will never compete with the sun but the TR display uses the sun. It sunk in once I found a Wikipedia article saying the TR display was used on LCD watches the better ones had a botton to push in dim light for backlight or else the watch could not be seen. The Nuvi and all Zumos execept the 590 have the same problem. I presume all marine and aviation Garmin plotters use TR and backlight as otherwise they would be useless and dangerous in some conditions in a plane.
|07-22-2014 04:53 PM|
[QUOTE I don't want a full black jacket (even a mesh one) in Florida.[/QUOTE]
Aye men to THAT !! I always wear light clothes to reflect the sun in Floriduh..
Shoot even my house is white along with my roof!! Electric bills real low…
I've been thinking of having a tailor sewing a dark panel just where it reflects off the gps… Cripes I'm even farkling my clothes!!!!!!!!!!
|07-22-2014 03:59 PM|
I rarely use the voice navigation commands (unless in completely unknown cities) but always am looking at the maps.
I use the maps in conventional Map-view with North up so that I can have an idea of what roads are around me (ie situational awareness of sorts.)
I don't' have a 590 but have a 660. Its good in sun but not amazing. The 590 is supposed to be much better and the way technology is improving I'm sure it's a nice step ahead.
|07-22-2014 03:37 PM|
Originally Posted by mitch96 View Post
I've been looking at new jackets with some black on the front but I don't want a full black jacket (even a mesh one) in Florida.
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|