(Route Info) - Riding South From The Gaspé Thru New Brunswick, Canada
When I have ridden out to Cap-Bon-Ami, at the tip of the Gaspé Peninsula for a weekend trip, I am headed home from there on a Sunday; a one day ride to Mount Desert Island. The ride is a "mix" of making some time, but also having some fun.
- I will exit Rt 132, on the southwest side of the peninsula at, Pointe-a-la-Croix and enter into New Brunswick by crossing the bridge into Campbellton. There is an information booth and a gas station at the intersection of Rt 132 and Subway St, (Subway St crosses the bridge.)
- I follow signs for Rt 11 and Glencoe.
- I pick up Rt 17 and ride it south to Kedgwick.
(What follows below is a route that I have followed several times; riding both north and south.)
- In Kedgwick, I pick up Rt 260 and ride that south to Rt 180.
- I will ride Rt 180 east to Rt 385.
- Rt 385 south to Plaster Rock.
*Note*- There is NO fuel for the full length of Rt 385 north and south, or Rt 108 east and west. If you need fuel, get it in Kedgwick, or Plaster Rock. South of Plaster Rock, obtaining fuel is not a problem.
- I prefer to ride Rt 390 south out of Plaster Rock. Although, I have ridden Rt 109 several times.
- In Tobique Narrows, I pick up Rt 105.
- Ride Rt 105 south until the Jct of Rt 130 in Hartland. Cross the World's Longest Covered Bridge in Hartland to Somerville and pick up Rt 103 South.
- Ride Rt 103, (on the west side of the river down to Woodstock and pick up Rt 165 south.
- Follow Rt 165 south to Rt 122 south.
- Follow Rt 122 south to Canterbury.
There is fuel in Canterbury near the head of Rt 630.
- Pick up Rt 630 and head south towards McAdam.
*Note* Rt 630 is a dirt road. It can be rough in some places and is known to be washed out in the spring time. I have to be able to ride on it this year because of that. tmcgee and I have nicknamed it "Shock Road". He blew out his rear shock riding Rt 630 in 2008 while coming home from a Gaspé trip with me. I have destroyed TWO tripods, due to heavy vibrations while riding Rt 630. But, I have also hit speeds close to 85mph on the dirt road as well!
If Rt 630 is washed out, head west on Rt 122 out of Canterbury towards the Maine border crossing in Orient. Pick up Rt 1 in Maine and head south.....
- Once down to Rt 3 in Baille, head for St. Stephen.
- I cross the border back into the US at Milltown. I follow Rt 1 north, and pick up Rt 191 in Baring.
- I follow Rt 191 down to E. Machias, then pick up Rt 1 and begin my march back to MDI.
The alternative route, and the one I follow the most frequently is:
- From Kedgwick, stay on Rt 17 to Rt 255.
- Follow Rt 255 into Grand Falls.
- Exit Grand Falls on Rt 130 south, and pick up the River Road just a short distance from town.
- Follow the River Road just as long as you can! Just keep the river to your left. There may be some detours from time to time due to spring washouts, but you will be able to get back on to the River Road. Stay On It!
- In the Perth - Andover area, you will end up on Rt 2 south for a short stretch.
- Pick up Rt 560 in Riviere du Chute.
** NOW PAY ATTENTION FROM HERE ON DOWN **
- Ride Rt 560 until you can make a right hand turn on to the Hartley Settlement Road.
- Follow the Hartley Settlement Rd down into Tracy Mills.
- Make a right hand turn on to Rt 110 following it west.
- Shortly after the right hand turn, make a sharp left hand turn and cross the short bridge on to Rt 550 south.
- Follow Rt 550 south until you can make a right hand turn on to the Weston Rd, just north of Lindsay.
- Follow the Weston Rd until you can turn left on to the, Jackson Falls Rd, (I believe that is the name of it! Google lists this left hand turn as still being the "Weston Rd". It is not! There is a road sign there, but I can't remember what it says; I have neglected to write it down in my log book, but I probably have a photograph of it somewhere.... Just turn left at the big cornfield and you will be okay.....)
- Pick up Rt 540 south in Jackson Falls.
- Follow Rt 540 all the way down to the Jct of Rt 122 in Graham Corner. You will see the Eel River Church right across the intersection.
- Turn left on to Rt 122 and head east to Canterbury where you will pick up Rt 630 as mentioned above.
- If Rt 630 is closed, turn around and ride back along Rt 122 west headed for Orient, Maine.
I have taken MANY photographs over the years of scenes while traveling both routes that I have laid out above. At some point, I will try to go through them and post them in the appropriate places along both route outlines.
2007 DL-650 (I gave away in 2012 with 111,000 + miles)
"A word grows to a thought; a thought to an idea; an idea to an act. All the pieces are put together, and the whole is yours."
1942, Beryl Markham: "West With the Night"
"You can talk about doing a thing until everyone finally talks you out of it, or you can actually do the thing"
James Baldwin "Across Islands and Oceans"
Last edited by Black Lab; 08-07-2011 at 03:20 PM.