Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sister Lakes, MI
Fun rides in SW Michigan
While I seem to be the only Stromtrooper in the immediate area, I know we have several that pass through via 31 or I-94 on their way to more grandiose destinations. Today, I decided to go out and do a little exploring, looking for a fun and interesting ride that might make a good "bypass" loop. I wish I could figure out how to create a GPS map of it from my Nuvi, but I haven't gotten that far with the thing yet. So here is a "turn by turn", assuming you are northbound (coming from South Bend area) on 31:
1) Take US 12 exit WEST (toward New Buffalo) to Red Bud Trail (first stoplight)
2) Turn right (north) onto Red Bud Trail. Follow north through Buchanan. This road twists along the St. Joseph River, and through some pretty countryside.
3) Red Bud Trail ends at OLD 31. Turn RIGHT, and follow Old 31 through Berrien Springs (turning left at light downtown), and across the St. Joseph River.
4) About 1/4 mile past the bridge, turn LEFT onto Deans Hill Road. It twists back up the side of the river valley.
5) Continue STRAIGHT onto Hochberger Road (Deans Hill Road turns off to the right) and follow it about a mile or so past a couple gentle curves.
6) Turn LEFT onto Hipps Hollow Road. This is the one your momma warned you about. It's rough in spots, but has some incredible twists and turns packed into a mile or two. I had so much fun on it this afternoon, I ended up going back through it a couple times!
7) Hipps Hollow Road turns into Hillandale Road. Follow this up to Napier Avenue for a scenic (straight) country backroad.
8 ) At Napier Avenue, turn LEFT (west) and you will end up at the north end of 31. Continue west to connect to I-94.
It creates a detour that adds about 20 miles vs. simply coming up 31 the whole way, but it's a lot more scenic and FUN. And if you are hungry, there some good places to eat in Buchanan (Gary Z's has the best subs) and Berrien Springs (Roma's Pizza is always good!). Both places are on or just a block or so off the route described above.
I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be. (Douglas Adams)
DL650 K5 - "Drachensfeuer"
DL650 K9 - "Drachensklaue" RIP 7-18-2009 with 5144 miles.
Silver Wheel Club #14
Official Mercedes killer, lol