Coming to Mexico? - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Mexico For those in Mexico, or may have an interest in riding to Mexico and could use some tips from the locals

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: na
Posts: 16
Anyone in Guadalajara

Planning a trip to Guadalajara/Lake Chapala area this spring/summer with a move to follow in about 5 years (soon as the US housing market comes back and I can sell my house without a huge loss).

I know there is a Suzuki pro shop in Guadalajara - but are there any Strommers from the area on the forum?

If there are, i'd love to hear from you ... or, if anyone has spent time in that particular area, I'd also love to hear from you.
GlassEye is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 Old 02-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
GoinPostal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sonoma
Posts: 172
Been there, doin' it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuchland View Post
I've been inspired to travel to Baja! Is there a good book on moto-travel in Baja, or Mexico in general? Websites? I probably won't make it this coming year, but maybe in 2012. Anybody here been to Baja on a bike? Stories, advice, do's and don'ts? Thanks!
I traveled the length of Baja on my 07 Strom last September for two weeks. I had a great time, loved it so much, I am doing it again next week!!. All the tips, info from the original post are good to remember. The people are wonderful, roads are interesting, food is great even the roadside stands. The motels are cheap most with wifi and pools about $35 us per nite. Always drink the bottled water, always wave at people on the side of the road, even the road workers, they all love it. One more thing I need to add.... don't crowd the center line in a curve. The center line for most locals is just a suggestion, they do ride in both lanes around curves. Other than that, when you go, enjoy
GoinPostal is offline  
post #23 of 41 Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 PM
$tromtrooper
 
chicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bishop, CA
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuchland View Post
I've been inspired to travel to Baja! Is there a good book on moto-travel in Baja, or Mexico in general? Websites? I probably won't make it this coming year, but maybe in 2012. Anybody here been to Baja on a bike? Stories, advice, do's and don'ts? Thanks!
I rode with some friends to Loreto, Baja last spring, they continued on to Cabo and were on a schedule while I wasn't and decided to relax for a few days in Loreto. I found Motorcycle Journeys through California and Baja by Clement Salvadori very useful. Many motels were around $16 with wifi so a netbook is useful for skype etc. The main highway 1 is paved but I felt the more interesting Baja is on the dirt roads, some pretty rough and would be better traveled on a dualsport. The only precaution I took was if I got out of bed in the dark I would use a flashlight to check where I walked in my bare feet. Good practice when you travel anywhere. Many military checkpoints but I was impressed by the people in that they have little and are happy. Wonderful seafood.

14 tooth for me
chicago is online now  
 
post #24 of 41 Old 03-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
jsuchland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tacoma, Wa
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago View Post
I rode with some friends to Loreto, Baja last spring, they continued on to Cabo and were on a schedule while I wasn't and decided to relax for a few days in Loreto. I found Motorcycle Journeys through California and Baja by Clement Salvadori very useful. Many motels were around $16 with wifi so a netbook is useful for skype etc. The main highway 1 is paved but I felt the more interesting Baja is on the dirt roads, some pretty rough and would be better traveled on a dualsport. The only precaution I took was if I got out of bed in the dark I would use a flashlight to check where I walked in my bare feet. Good practice when you travel anywhere. Many military checkpoints but I was impressed by the people in that they have little and are happy. Wonderful seafood.
Man, that sounds awesome! What did you ride?

Jeff S

07 Vstrom
05 FJR
04 V-Star
80 XS650
Iron Butt Member #44699
jsuchland is offline  
post #25 of 41 Old 03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
$tromtrooper
 
chicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bishop, CA
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuchland View Post
Man, that sounds awesome! What did you ride?
I rode my '09 wee. Great for the highway but I would prefer something lighter for exploring off the main highway. DR650 or KLR maybe. Also I entered the country through Tecate which I think many will agree is preferable to Tijuana.

14 tooth for me
chicago is online now  
post #26 of 41 Old 03-27-2011, 02:58 PM
$tromtrooper
 
chicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bishop, CA
Posts: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
Planning a trip to Guadalajara/Lake Chapala area this spring/summer with a move to follow in about 5 years (soon as the US housing market comes back and I can sell my house without a huge loss).

I know there is a Suzuki pro shop in Guadalajara - but are there any Strommers from the area on the forum?

If there are, i'd love to hear from you ... or, if anyone has spent time in that particular area, I'd also love to hear from you.
Article in March issue of Rider about a ride through that area. Mentions fine year round weather.
Sounds like a good plan, maybe rent your house for now.

14 tooth for me
chicago is online now  
post #27 of 41 Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
crispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prince George BC Canada
Posts: 161
in August while on a trip to San Francisco, on 101 I ran into about a dozen Mexicans on dual sprt bikes,, 3 were on stroms,, great place to meet , Garberville California, great bunch of guys , they were headed North, one of them said,, seattle, or Canada was the goal , if time permitted, it's amazing how it eases the situation , just to say Hola ,, como estas ?
crispy is offline  
post #28 of 41 Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
sgtsandbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 64
I just returned Tuesday from a great ride South of the border. Don't speak the language but I will the next time!
Posted pics in the ride reports section.
sgtsandbagger is offline  
post #29 of 41 Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
kitesurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: jax, fla
Posts: 1,070
good info! my plan is to buy a wee and do mexico when i retire in 3 years, 7 mos. got to find the bike, outfit it, learn spanish....

2012 DL650
U.S. NAVY, RETIRED
kitesurfer is offline  
post #30 of 41 Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,060
Good thread. Am thinking of getting the prep work done a week early on my normal days off, buying a roundtrip ticket out of Tucson (going to Guaymas) and leaving the bike in long-term airport parking, returning a week later for vacation.
Yesler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome