Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: East central Florida
Clean front sprocket on '14 and later 1000DL
OK, I've looked, I've searched all over this site, even a general google internet search . . . and not much is readily available for this procedure on post 2014 V-Strom 1000s. Lots of info and You Tube viddys on the 650's or older 1000's. Mine has 10,300 miles on it and purchased a month ago (so new to me).
I don't have a shop manual either. The front sprocket cleaning process looks straightforward based on 650's and older 1000's but there are some differences too. Enough that I wanted to ask first before I started unbolting stuff. Although I purchased mine from a non Suzuki dealer I could tell that chain maintenance wasn't recent. I would like to get behind the sprocket cover and clean there too.
So, could someone either provide or edit a several step process for me, e.g.-
1) Zip tie or tie-off the clutch lever to handlebar
2) Remove three bolts (8mm) from plastic cover, pay attention to where each bolt came from (either diagram or write notes).
3) Remove ??mm hex nut bolts from clutch slave cylinder. Pay attention to spacer bolt location (is there still one there??) on the one bolt.
4) ?? Move slave cylinder assembly out of way to ??
5) What to do with side stand wire that is zip tied to the thick hydraulic clutch cable? (Looks like I cut the zip tie where it's tied at slave cylinder and temporarily separate the two of them.)
6) Clean out debris/gunk using . . . (popsicle stick (?) looks safest!)
7) Spray out remaining sprocket area with kerosene/brake fluid cleaner/WD-40 ?
8) Remove push rod and clean using same fluid as above. Grease with silicone grease and insert back in to its access hole. (Is silicone grease same as white lithium or could WL be used?)
9) Remount slave cylinder assembly flush to bike. Do not tighten hex-head bolts all the way down yet.
10) Remove zip tie(s) and slowly east out clutch handle.
11) Alternate tightening of hex head bolts. (Clutch action should feel what (?) . . . . normal as before.???)
12) Remount three plastic sprocket cover bolts.
Is that it it? What am I missing? Some key step I'm forgetting, a bolt or electrical connection I'm unaware of, wires to pull aside? Are my steps in order? How much effort to clean the slave before assembly? My nomeclature correct? I don't want to do a rebuild, just a cleaning and remounting.
Yes, shop manual is on the horizon . . . I also need to get at and inspect/clean air filter after I do the front sprocket.
Appreciate the Forum's advice and help.