Now I know this is not rocket science for many but - I was not able to find a thread that had this procedure in pictures. Dunno, I like pictures. Gives me a bit of confidence when I start on something I never did. So here we go - pictures!
- I wanted a longer front brake line so I can add taller risers; ABS Wee does not have enough really.
- I bought the line from Blair at SV Racing Parts a while ago; We talked on the phone back then and he told me what to do.
- As I was doing a bunch of 15K maintenance myself, I did this too today; so that's why the plactics is off. Note: I never did brakes before. So there is likely a better way to do this, with different tools etc.
Firstly - as I dont have a centerstand, this is how I kept the bike upright:
(and yes - the white stuff on the radiator is a small coolant leak I fixed today too)
On the side of where the work was to be done, I put some old tshirts to catch any drops of brake fluid before they hit my paint:
Opened the master cylinder; a few drops came out:
Sucked as much fluid as I cold from the top using my Mityvac:
Cracked the bleeder screw on the right caliper only; sucked the fluid from there (from the lines) with Mityvac too:
A close-up... fluid coming out:
After no more fluid, unscrewed the bolt holding it all in place on the right side, above the fender. This is where the line to be exchanged ends:
Showing how it is all put together; note the washers:
Unscrewed it all, caught all the pieces, pushed the end of brake hose out of the way. Here is how the hardware looks like: old (original) set on top; new (came with the line) on the bottom. I am guessing it is perfectly acceptable to use OEM again too but I used the new because I had it:
New stuff in place; follow the same sandwich pattern with washers:
Unscrewed the master cylinder side:
New, with new brake line top:
That is now attached too:
From this point on, it is all bleeding brakes. What I did was poured fluid on top, then sucked from the bottom with Mityvac. When I started getting fluid, I took the pump off and then pumped the brake lever while in the bottom, the Mityvac catch container was still connected. I made sure to never run out of fluid on top. After 3-4 master reservoars of fluid, there appeared to be no bubbles anymore so I tighetened the bottom. Then I put the bike on the sidestand, thinking that this will make the brake cylinder the highest point in the brake system (as opposed to upper banjo bolt). I then pumped the brake a few more times observing additional bubbles rising up in the master cylinder. I also - to be sure - unscrewed the top master cylinder bolt (in pictures above) to let any air that might be in it escape, with a few drops of brake fluid.
Then I filled up the master cylinder, pumped a little more, closed it up and let it sit with brake lever tied in pressed position. Pumped a little bit more etc after a while. I'll leave it pressed/tied all night and check it tomorrow but it feels like stock already.
Hope this helps someone!