Bent Givi Engine Guards - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Maintenance How-to WARNING! If you follow these posts and something goes wrong - Stromtroopers is not responsible for any damages, etc. You assume all risk.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Scootertrash in Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jarabacoa, DR
Posts: 1,122
Bent Givi Engine Guards

We're doing some maintenance during a lull in tours and have a challenge. We've had a couple of minor drops that have bent the Givi Engine Guards. Certainly the Guards kept serious damage from happening but they sacrificed themselves in the process. We have 3 rights and a left that are bent.

Normally the bars are 1" from the bodywork. I've got a couple about 1/8" from the body, or right against the body. The bars are stiff enough to abosrb a shock and keep from smashing the bodywork...if they have some room to bend a little. 1/8-1/4" gives them no room. If the bike gets dropped on a bent bar there will be significant damage.

I read Black Lab's thread about rebending bars but don't think it applies to the Givi bars.

I have taken bent bars off and tried to rebend to no avail. I'm not sure I know what I'm doing anyway with them. I didn't put too much muscle into it.

I've not tried doing the Come-Along Jumping Tango like Black Lab did.:biggrinjester: with the bars still attached to the bike. And we really don't want to buy a bunch of sets of bars. Besides, the bars are attached to the engine mounts and something bad could happen if I don't know what I'm doing.

If anyone has rebent Givi Engine Guards successfully, I'k really like to hear your How To story.

TIA-

Scootertrash in Paradise
www.motocaribe.com
Scootertrash in Paradise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 71
My method with Hepco-Becker bars.


--Joe

04 DL650
06 DR650
joefromsf is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Scootertrash in Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jarabacoa, DR
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
My method with Hepco-Becker bars.

I'm tempted, but am scared of breaking off one of the bolts in the engine mounts...

And one of the mounts is really a screw that goes into the bar itself mounting a bracket. Most likely the weak link...
Scootertrash in Paradise is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootertrash in Paradise View Post
I'm tempted, but am scared of breaking off one of the bolts in the engine mounts...

And one of the mounts is really a screw that goes into the bar itself mounting a bracket. Most likely the weak link...
My Givi's were not quite as close to the bodywork, maybe 1" or 1.5" and I wanted them out a bit more. I parked between 2 trees, which were about 20' apart, and put a nylon strap with ratchet on each guard at the most forward position so that they would pull against each other. I had a friend slowly tighten up his side while I did mine and we were able to open them up to 2.5" on each side without any problems. They now will protect the turn signals (hopefully). We did have to go about 1/2" further because they wanted to spring back about that much but ended up at 2.5".

Caveat, this worked for me but a saner more knowledgeable person might be able to another way. My thinking was, if they can bend in so easily they should be able to bend back out.

DL650k9 Orange
TomDevlin is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Scootertrash in Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jarabacoa, DR
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDevlin View Post
My Givi's were not quite as close to the bodywork, maybe 1" or 1.5" and I wanted them out a bit more. I parked between 2 trees, which were about 20' apart, and put a nylon strap with ratchet on each guard at the most forward position so that they would pull against each other. I had a friend slowly tighten up his side while I did mine and we were able to open them up to 2.5" on each side without any problems. They now will protect the turn signals (hopefully). We did have to go about 1/2" further because they wanted to spring back about that much but ended up at 2.5".

Caveat, this worked for me but a saner more knowledgeable person might be able to another way. My thinking was, if they can bend in so easily they should be able to bend back out.
Interesting. I might give this a try.

How much pressure was applied to get them to begin to bend?

However, I need just one side bent. Maybe I could attach a strap on the good side to the frame opposite the bar on the bent side.

Thoughts?

BTW-I like the idea of bending both sides out more. Thge turn signals are the first thing to go.
Scootertrash in Paradise is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootertrash in Paradise View Post
Interesting. I might give this a try.

How much pressure was applied to get them to begin to bend?

However, I need just one side bent. Maybe I could attach a strap on the good side to the frame opposite the bar on the bent side.

Thoughts?

BTW-I like the idea of bending both sides out more. Thge turn signals are the first thing to go.
I had one side closer to begin with and until they were equal we lowered the strap on the opposite side which made that one bend less. Then when they were equal we put both the straps forward. It did take a fair amount of pressure. Suggest you have a buddy to keep things equal and not let the bike fall.

DL650k9 Orange
TomDevlin is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Scootertrash in Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jarabacoa, DR
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDevlin View Post
I had one side closer to begin with and until they were equal we lowered the strap on the opposite side which made that one bend less. Then when they were equal we put both the straps forward. It did take a fair amount of pressure. Suggest you have a buddy to keep things equal and not let the bike fall.
About where did you position the straps? My initial thought would be the strap across the top bar toward the front...where the worst of the bend is.

We have a single free standing carport with 9" concrete columns set 12' apart and built loaded with rebar. Might be a good spot for the torture.

I would also consider putting the bike up on the swingarm frame slider jack for stability of the bike.

My real fear os somehow breaking the bolts that go into the engine mount. That would be ugly.

Any thoughts you have are greatly appreciated.
Scootertrash in Paradise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome