Rear brake "plug" stuck - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Maintenance How-to WARNING! If you follow these posts and something goes wrong - Stromtroopers is not responsible for any damages, etc. You assume all risk.

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver Colorado USA
Posts: 41
Garage
Unhappy Rear brake "plug" stuck

2008 DL-650 ABS
I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads. Per the instruction manual, the first step is to remove the "plug" that covers the "pad mounting pin". This plug has a simple slot in it that looks like it should take a regular screwdriver. It was already gouged up some before I started this.

For the life of me I can't budge it. I should be turning it counter-clockwise, correct? I've been trying my manual impact wrench (which has worked miracles on stuck bolts on automotive brakes). No go.

Right now it has some Liquid Wrench soaking into it. I'll give it another try in the morning. I suppose if forced I could drill it out.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, do you have any advice on getting it loose? The thought of taking a torch to it isn't exactly inviting, I can see me burning everything to the ground.

Thanks for any suggestions!
thepaleobiker likes this.
tgeliot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 04-03-2016, 10:58 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
Others have had trouble with it. Penetrating oil and heat are typical methods. A hammer impact tool may help.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 04-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
 
V-Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,433
When I couldn't get it off my 2006 DL650 my shop used Wurth "Rost Off Max Ice". One application of it and a short wait and it was loose.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 175,000+ km, 108,500+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.


V-Tom is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 04-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
thepaleobiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 185
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
2008 DL-650 ABS
I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads. Per the instruction manual, the first step is to remove the "plug" that covers the "pad mounting pin". This plug has a simple slot in it that looks like it should take a regular screwdriver. It was already gouged up some before I started this.

For the life of me I can't budge it. I should be turning it counter-clockwise, correct? I've been trying my manual impact wrench (which has worked miracles on stuck bolts on automotive brakes). No go.

Right now it has some Liquid Wrench soaking into it. I'll give it another try in the morning. I suppose if forced I could drill it out.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, do you have any advice on getting it loose? The thought of taking a torch to it isn't exactly inviting, I can see me burning everything to the ground.

Thanks for any suggestions!
That little plug is such a PITA unfortunately

Yes, you've to spray some rust killer (or WD40) and let it loosen up. Use a strong flat head screw driver and twist it free. Yes, counter clockwise!





V Strom LED headlights - wp.me/p48a0W-1D
Turn signal conversion to running lights- wp.me/p48a0W-1Z
LED tail lights - wp.me/p48a0W-1I
MadStad + Givi - wp.me/p48a0W-1N
Mirror Extenders - wp.me/p48a0W-1R

Sold my Wee
thepaleobiker is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 04-04-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver Colorado USA
Posts: 41
Garage
OK, thanks, at least I know I'm not alone :-)
tgeliot is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver Colorado USA
Posts: 41
Garage
The torch and impact driver worked! I had it on for about 30 seconds, until I started to smell the rubber cap on the bleeder nipple start to smoke. I then used an impact driver
tgeliot is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 04-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 73
Guys, flour or five years ago there was a V-Strom rider in England who got fed up with the plug covering the pad mounting pin seizing up due to corrosion. He started making and selling a stainless steel plug that solved the problem. I ordered one from him and it works as advertised.

I've spent the last 30 minutes looking for his ordering info but haven't found it yet. I'll look some more later today. If I can't locate the info maybe someone else who ordered one will see this and pass along how to get in touch with the guy.
bikeflyer is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 04-21-2016, 12:29 PM
$tromtrooper
 
janiceclanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeflyer View Post
Guys, flour or five years ago there was a V-Strom rider in England who got fed up with the plug covering the pad mounting pin seizing up due to corrosion. He started making and selling a stainless steel plug that solved the problem. I ordered one from him and it works as advertised.

I've spent the last 30 minutes looking for his ordering info but haven't found it yet. I'll look some more later today. If I can't locate the info maybe someone else who ordered one will see this and pass along how to get in touch with the guy.
That would be good information. The plug is a PITA.




1979 GL1000 Goldwing / 1992 Nighthawk 250 - Baby
2003 DL1000 - Priscilla / 1997 Concours - Ms. Piggy
2002 DL1000 - Fluffy the Torque Monster (Deceased)
2003 DL1000 - Freya, Queen of the Valkyries
janiceclanfield is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 04-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 73
stainless steel rear brake plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceclanfield View Post
That would be good information. The plug is a PITA.
I've found the website of the outfit from which I bought the stainless rear brake "plug". The plug isn't currently shown on their website but I've emailed them to see if they still produce/sell the plug. I'll post info on the company as soon as I hear back from them.
bikeflyer is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 04-21-2016, 02:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 73
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeflyer View Post
Guys, flour or five years ago there was a V-Strom rider in England who got fed up with the plug covering the pad mounting pin seizing up due to corrosion. He started making and selling a stainless steel plug that solved the problem. I ordered one from him and it works as advertised.

I've spent the last 30 minutes looking for his ordering info but haven't found it yet. I'll look some more later today. If I can't locate the info maybe someone else who ordered one will see this and pass along how to get in touch with the guy.
I contacted Shaw Stainless and received a quick reply from them. The Nissin stainless steel pin plug/cap is still available for the rear calipers on the V-Stroms that use that caliper. Shipping may cost more than the replacement plug itself but it is worth it. Here is the link to the applicable page on their website:

http://www.shawstainless.co.uk/product.php/6750418/

This will solve the problem of those rusted-in-place brake pad pin plugs!
J58943 likes this.
bikeflyer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome