Over the last couple of months, My '07 1000 stranded me three times with a dead battery.
The first time, I assumed it was a dead battery, since I didn't really remember how long ago I had bought it. Plus, I was itching for an excuse to try one of those lithium iron batteries.
I had ridden the bike to work. Took it for my customary hour-long joy ride at lunch, all with no indication of problem. When ready to go home, battery could not turn over the engine, nor could it even wag the instruments.
Had a guy jumpstart me, and rode it the 10 miles to home. Ordered a new battery and replaced it.
In the following weeks, the scenario repeated itself twice. It seemed very odd because once someone boost started me, I could just ride the bike home, let it sit for a week or longer, and it would still start up fine and strong. Then I could ride it to town, park it no longer than 10 minutes, come back to it and...dead again.
So I bought one of those portable boosters to carry with me in the top case while I read forum posts about similar problems. Figured the booster would at least get me home until I figured out what was going on. Had one opportunity to use it.
Took the magneto cover off yesterday and, sure enough, the six magnets were all abutted next to each other. None are broken. One is still attached.
So I will be adhering them back on today, using JB Weld. There's a quick-setting version which I think I will try. I made some little rubber spacers to ensure uniform spacing from the one that is still attached. I will clean everything spotless with laquer thinner and/or acetone. Then intend to glue them back in the original order and orientation one at a time.
I'm going to try to leave a "thick film" of the epoxy between them. Based on past experience with JB Weld, I'm pretty confident that should suffice to prevent their shifting.
Looking closely, on mine it seems that the original adhesive was fully spread on the mating surfaces of the magnets, and a single uniform bead about a quarter inch wide was run around the middle of the inside of the rotor to serve as a hedge against their shifting (which, obviously, didn't work).
I bought the bike from its original owner with about 8K miles on it. It now has less than 24K miles on it. I know it has never been run hot since I've had it, and very seriously doubt it ever was by the original owner. I don't abuse it at all; if anything, my riding style babies it.
I did, however, change to full synthetic oil at last oil change, just a little while prior to the first manifesation of the charging problem. That could, of course, be mere annecdotal coincidence. After the rework is fully set, I'll be refilling it with Mobile 1 synthetic; seriously doubt that JB Weld would be affected by it.
Am feeling pretty confident the fix will work and will last. Thankfully none of the magnets in my instance seem to be damaged at all. We'll see.
All of the magnets show a full thin coating of the original adhesive on their entire mating surfaces with no gaps or voids. All of the five loose ones came cleanly loose from the inner surface of the rotor. That suggests to me possibly inadequate cleaning of the rotor before adhesion of the magnets at the factory.