I live in SoCal and commute 170 miles/day. My BMW K1200S is fantastic at it, especially lane sharing with factory bags on, but tires and services are spendy.
Looking for a "better" commuter.
Here's what I know
- wee gets appx 50mpg average, Vee in the low 40s
- No consistent mechanical issues (e.g. Clutches on k's are a soft spot. Te 170hp doesn't help I suppose.
How I ride
- corners - i wear out the entire tire from edge to edge - some good corners on my commute (PR2s).
- lane sharing - all the time, every opportunity. My TE610 husky's bars are at a bad height for car mirrors. The K is awesome, and with bags in their smallest setting, they are narrower than the bars. Way better than on the loaner RTPs my dealer has.
- average speeds can be in the mid-80s+ for much of the highway ride. I just go with the flow. 90 is not uncommon in LA.
- hills. I have to come up some big ones
- I doubt the MPG numbers I've listed above apply to my ride. I get 36-38 on the K, and many other K riders get in the low-mid 40s.
- tire longevity - I get 5-6k out of a rear Michelin PR2
- I'm giving up shaft drive, do I have to give up ABS too?
Any and all input or comparisons welcome!!