I just got around to changing my air filter after too many years, first time for tank or fairing removal. I have an '04 650 with Givi bars. I asked some questions on advrider, got some good advice, and then had to do it twice because I forgot to swap the filter gasket over to the new filter. Here's what worked for me the second time, very easy:
- remove seat
- remove the black plastic molding at the front of the tank by pushing in the center of the pins with a small screw driver.
- remove all three screws fastening the front side plastic (colored) and remove the black side panels, but leave the colored plastic in place. You may need a long (or short) hex key to clear the Givi bars but there is plenty of room.
- remove the rear tank mounting bolt and loosen the front pivot bolt.
- unhook the colored side covers where they attach at the top front of the tank and spread them out a bit.
- lift up the back of the tank a few inches, support it, and disconnect the fuel line and tank vent hose.
- now remove the pivot bolt, and the tank can easily be lifted up and back.
This gives access to a lot of stuff including airfilter change. If you need to remove the fairing (which I haven't done), I think ezrdr55's advice is the best way, before or after the tank is removed (after seems easier).
Don't forget to swap the filter gasket to the new filter