Craning a wee.....best lift points - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-30-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hayesville, NC
Posts: 121
Craning a wee.....best lift points

I will be travelling for several months to a few jobs and want to take the Wee. For limited space, security and safety I don't want to use ramps to load and unload off of my flatbed truck. Any advice on the best lift point (s) using straps to hoist the gem with a crane or backhoe.

My first thoughts are two straps, one from center of handlebar, the other from the rear rack. Second idea is a single strap from below just in front of the center stand.

???????????????
kangarooman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM
$tromtrooper
 
henerythe8th's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ice Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,516
Between the handlebar clamps may be okay for that end.
I WOULD NOT lift the rear by the grab bars/package rack.

I'm not sure where I'd pick the back end up at...

L2V -- she's a stocker!...and gone...
2011 MG Stelvio
henerythe8th is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Living the Stereotype
 
Stromin'Nroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henderson County, NC
Posts: 11,543
Hope this helps:





BTW, the bike was considered a total loss.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Stromin'Nroman is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
BillZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Danville, KY
Posts: 707
Garage
Um, well, how 'bout the bottom? Place the bike on the side/center stand and run your straps under the main frame/engine area. Stablize with a fore/aft strap to the steering head and luggage rack to stop it from tipping, but carry the weight from a main strap under the center of the bike...?

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
DL650AL
LIMNCS #51
Shiro Nakama Shichi #007 :beatnik:
BillZ is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hayesville, NC
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillZ View Post
Um, well, how 'bout the bottom? Place the bike on the side/center stand and run your straps under the main frame/engine area. Stablize with a fore/aft strap to the steering head and luggage rack to stop it from tipping, but carry the weight from a main strap under the center of the bike...?
Thanks BillZ and StrominNorman for the photos. Your third photo gave me the idea to lift at steering head with second strap through the rear wheel.

I am a little surprised to find out a silver Wee could be totalled. I KNEW they were faster, got better MPG, less buffeting and actually didn't look as ridiculous. I also THOUGHT they were invincible!

BTW, I happen to have a silver K9
kangarooman is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Living the Stereotype
 
Stromin'Nroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henderson County, NC
Posts: 11,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarooman View Post
Thanks BillZ and StrominNorman for the photos. Your third photo gave me the idea to lift at steering head with second strap through the rear wheel.

I am a little surprised to find out a silver Wee could be totalled. I KNEW they were faster, got better MPG, less buffeting and actually didn't look as ridiculous. I also THOUGHT they were invincible!

BTW, I happen to have a silver K9
It's amazing what a speeding Cadillac can do. The frame was cracked, the swingarm bent and every piece of bodywork needed replacing.

I think if you grab by the steering head and loop through the back wheel with a spreader to protect the body work it should be okay.

They did lift by the grab rail, but they knew before they hoisted it that it would be totalled.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Stromin'Nroman is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hayesville, NC
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromin'Nroman View Post
It's amazing what a speeding Cadillac can do. The frame was cracked, the swingarm bent and every piece of bodywork needed replacing.

I think if you grab by the steering head and loop through the back wheel with a spreader to protect the body work it should be okay.

They did lift by the grab rail, but they knew before they hoisted it that it would be totalled.
Thanks again, fabricating a spreader bar with some carpeting should work.
kangarooman is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: greensboro, nc
Posts: 112
Not your usual question.....but interesting.
cruzinv is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 109
To lift the rear, why not use a couple of spools pieces at the rear axle. These are made to lift the weight of the bike on the rear using paddock stands.

Ed Foltyn, KQ1R

2009 Suzuki DL650A
efoltyn is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Living the Stereotype
 
Stromin'Nroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henderson County, NC
Posts: 11,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by efoltyn View Post
To lift the rear, why not use a couple of spools pieces at the rear axle. These are made to lift the weight of the bike on the rear using paddock stands.
I would think thats a little low relative to center of gravity for hoisting.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Stromin'Nroman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome