I use Protection - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ralph66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 23
I use Protection

I have basicly decided i am in the market for a 650 and i need advise on engine guards, panniers, and any thing else that will help me protect my next bike form my enemy GRAVITY. i have droped or slid every bike i have ever owned at least one time. so please any useful advise is welcome please keep the sarcastic coments low but those are fun to read also

Last edited by ralph66; 06-01-2010 at 02:00 AM.
ralph66 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IN
Posts: 626
Check Pat Walsh Designs for what you are looking for. Gary can do a good job for you.

Ride safe.

'12 Guzzi Stelvio NTX

'09 DL650 ABS (Sold)
Chuck in Indiana is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 42
protection

email search tourtech etc.
Rockmurf is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Mud Puddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 412
SW Motech, or Givi Engine Guards. Both are good, there are lots of discussions on here about each.

SV650 Frame sliders fit.

Panniers are more complicated depends on what look you like. Square Aluminum, Plastic Pelican Cases, or sleak rounded color matched Givi Style. I like the square aluminum look, and have Happy Trails Bags. Well made easy to install and protect the rear of the bike.

Search the site, look at the picture threads and you will learn a lot.

09 "Wee"-Strom DL650 (Orange)
99 Harley-Davidson XL1200S
00 Bultaco
73 Bultaco Sherpa-T
69 Triumph Bonnie (Project Bike)

Last edited by Mud Puddle; 06-01-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Mud Puddle is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 AM
$tromtrooper
 
rhbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rideau Ferry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 593
I use Suzuki Engine Guards (actually are SW-Motech ) on my 06 with the SWM bash plate. In addition I use front and rear frame sliders (mine came from Twisted Throttle but there are others). Both work and I've not experienced the buzzing with the engine guards that some riders mention.
(IIWFGWIWFM - if it works for Greywolf- it works for me!)

I can only offer on panniers - they are expensive crash guards if you use them that way. My bike fell over while stationary - I have Givi E41 panniers. The bike fell and slide about 1 foot (I was on the edge of the driveway). The slide was enough to break the upper plastic latch on the GIVI - $42 and three weeks later - without the latch, you don't be taking the bag back with you without safety wire and or duct tape. My recommendation, choose the bags that meet your carrying requirements first - there will likely be a few - then look at how they mount and decide which mount system is likely to be the least trouble to repair if it breaks. Although I like my GIVIs, if I did it again, knowing I go down gravel and trails more than I thought I would at first - I would go aluminum sqarish designs for ease of popping out dents and perhaps mountings as well. Fortunately I only dropped the bike once ( and next time I'll just let the helmet fall off the seat rather than doing a boarding house reach to try and grab it before it falls)!

Safe rides
Bob

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but desperation is it's father........... (Bell)

'06 DL650
rhbell is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
PTRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington, the state
Posts: 7,437
Crash bars:
Altrider
Pat Walsh Designs
Murphskits.com
any of the others

Frame sliders:
SV Racing Parts

If you don't ride with a passenger, put swing arm sliders on the passenger footpeg mounting points.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
PTRider is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ralph66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbell View Post
I can only offer on panniers - they are expensive crash guards if you use them that way. My bike fell over while stationary - I have Givi E41 panniers. The bike fell and slide about 1 foot (I was on the edge of the driveway). The slide was enough to break the upper plastic latch on the GIVI - $42 and three weeks later - without the latch, you don't be taking the bag back with you without safety wire and or duct tape. My recommendation, choose the bags that meet your carrying requirements first - there will likely be a few - then look at how they mount and decide which mount system is likely to be the least trouble to repair if it breaks. Although I like my GIVIs, if I did it again, knowing I go down gravel and trails more than I thought I would at first - I would go aluminum sqarish designs for ease of popping out dents and perhaps mountings as well. Fortunately I only dropped the bike once ( and next time I'll just let the helmet fall off the seat rather than doing a boarding house reach to try and grab it before it falls)!

Safe rides
Bob
thats not the plan but if it happens i would like panniers that do not get destroyed if the bike falls over at speeds lower than 20 MPH, just looking for something that can handle a small amount of abuse down a dirt road.
Also thanks for the advise guys Pat walsh and AltRider both look like they provide good protection if anyone has used these i would like your opinions.
ralph66 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
RedBean25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kenmore, WA
Posts: 2,570
Pelican cases take tons of abuse and don't break. My pelican cases took a rough fall on a rocky trail and they got scratched up, but other than that scratch, they are unaffected. Just ask LoneStrom about it...he was there. Pelican all the way.

2012 Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie, White
2007 DL650 Blue -- SOLD
Stromtrooper Offroad Club Member #22
Blue Strom Club Member #17

My Strom's Experience:

RedBean25 is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Living the Stereotype
 
Stromin'Nroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Henderson County, NC
Posts: 11,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBean25 View Post
Pelican cases take tons of abuse and don't break. My pelican cases took a rough fall on a rocky trail and they got scratched up, but other than that scratch, they are unaffected. Just ask LoneStrom about it...he was there. Pelican all the way.
I'm embarrassed to admit to all the abuse to which I've put my beloved Pelican/Caribous. I lost one for a few days, I've knocked them off with gas pump bollards, retaining walls and riverbanks and have blued the 3/4" steel racks on asphalt.

They remain functionally intact, if a little road weary.

I think I may be subconsciously trying to reform them into a more aerodynamic shape.

Sent from my Hewlett-Packard 75C, using the Flying Merkel motorcycle app.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Stromin'Nroman is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
RedBean25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kenmore, WA
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromin'Nroman View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit to all the abuse to which I've put my beloved Pelican/Caribous. I lost one for a few days, I've knocked them off with gas pump bollards, retaining walls and riverbanks and have blued the 3/4" steel racks on asphalt.

They remain functionally intact, if a little road weary.

I think I may be subconsciously trying to reform them into a more aerodynamic shape.
My only issue with Pelican cases, is I have trouble finding a rack to mount them on that doesn't bend easily. The Happy Trails rack I currently have does well...

What racks do you use with your Pelicans, and how do you have them mounted? I'm guessing not just straight bolts with nuts/washers.

OP, when you consider cases, also remember they are only as good as the rack they are mounted on.

2012 Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie, White
2007 DL650 Blue -- SOLD
Stromtrooper Offroad Club Member #22
Blue Strom Club Member #17

My Strom's Experience:

RedBean25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome