Braided Brake lines - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
rhbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rideau Ferry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 593
Braided Brake lines

Over the last few days, between job panics I have been searching for feedback on Braided Brake Lines. I generally follow manufacturesr recommendations for maintenance and so far it's worked so planning to stick with it but wondering lately about brake lines, options for replacements etc. The posts I see are a mixed bag but not sure if I see a response that's closer to my situation and how I ride. I'd appreciate some opinions.

The facts:
1) my 06 Dl650 has only 25k on it.
2) brakes (feel) seem ok to me
3) change fluids at recommended intervals, it's now time for hoses
4) hoses are in good shape, no cracks, no bulging when I apply brakes hard while feeling along length of the hose
5) at this point in my life, I'm more of an infrequent but far rider, than a fast one to be sure
6) still on my first set of pads, barely worn (I clean my disks regularly when I'm oiling chain - takes all of 2 secs with rag and brake cleaner) plus I use a lot of engine braking capability rather than hit the brakes - most of my riding is in country, not city.

Some research to various parts sites indicated there's not really a whole lot of difference (from my perspective) in cost between getting replacement hoses from dealer here versus replacing the lines with braided ones from elsewhere. I dont think my riding style warrants the upgrade but if I read things correctly, I could likely eliminate the next hose replacement and make an upgrade that would be desirable if I should trade / sell in the interim. I'd probably replace pads at same time. $ is not a prime object here meaning if I could afford the bike, I can afford to maintain it's operation and value.

IF you were me.......with that background and logic - would you upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but desperation is it's father........... (Bell)

'06 DL650
rhbell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: northern virginia
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbell View Post
Over the last few days, between job panics I have been searching for feedback on Braided Brake Lines. I generally follow manufacturesr recommendations for maintenance and so far it's worked so planning to stick with it but wondering lately about brake lines, options for replacements etc. The posts I see are a mixed bag but not sure if I see a response that's closer to my situation and how I ride. I'd appreciate some opinions.

The facts:
1) my 06 Dl650 has only 25k on it.
2) brakes (feel) seem ok to me
3) change fluids at recommended intervals, it's now time for hoses
4) hoses are in good shape, no cracks, no bulging when I apply brakes hard while feeling along length of the hose
5) at this point in my life, I'm more of an infrequent but far rider, than a fast one to be sure
6) still on my first set of pads, barely worn (I clean my disks regularly when I'm oiling chain - takes all of 2 secs with rag and brake cleaner) plus I use a lot of engine braking capability rather than hit the brakes - most of my riding is in country, not city.

Some research to various parts sites indicated there's not really a whole lot of difference (from my perspective) in cost between getting replacement hoses from dealer here versus replacing the lines with braided ones from elsewhere. I dont think my riding style warrants the upgrade but if I read things correctly, I could likely eliminate the next hose replacement and make an upgrade that would be desirable if I should trade / sell in the interim. I'd probably replace pads at same time. $ is not a prime object here meaning if I could afford the bike, I can afford to maintain it's operation and value.

IF you were me.......with that background and logic - would you upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Yes, I would recommend the upgrade. I upgraded with Galfer SS pads and steel braided lines.

Contact Blair from SV Racing Parts and he'll set you up. Good luck!!
acududeman is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 11:12 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: b'ham, Alabamie...29.4 minutes from Barbers
Posts: 2,672
Hoses.........

Why change em out (fix em) if they ain't broke?? As long as you protect the rubber lines against exterior UV damage, they should be OK to keep using?? I checked RonAyers.com (which is usually cheaper than local dealerships) for a front brake hose (actually appears to be 2-3 hoses = whole assembly)......$78 plus shipping (probably $10-$15??). You can afford the SS for alittle above that price. If you must change them out, I would definately go SS........but send me your old stockers.

www.easternvstromrally.com
Over 100 Attendees at the May 2019......already planning it for 2020!!

Last edited by mark444; 05-28-2010 at 01:31 PM.
mark444 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
CHIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Van, BC
Posts: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
but save the old rubber stock units.
Why? I can see saving other stock items, but old brake lines, no reason IMO.
CHIA is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: b'ham, Alabamie...29.4 minutes from Barbers
Posts: 2,672
Well............

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
Why? I can see saving other stock items, but old brake lines, no reason IMO.
Let's see: he somehow tears up the new front brake lines within a week of installing them (mishap in the garage, or on the road)........unless he kept the old ones, he's SOL until he can order new ones?? What if he sells the bike within a month of installing the new lines........he could swap them out with the stock units and sell the SS to get "some" of his $$$ back?? Do I need to go on.............sheessh.....

www.easternvstromrally.com
Over 100 Attendees at the May 2019......already planning it for 2020!!
mark444 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Let's see: he somehow tears up the new front brake lines within a week of installing them (mishap in the garage, or on the road)........unless he kept the old ones, he's SOL until he can order new ones?? What if he sells the bike within a month of installing the new lines........he could swap them out with the stock units and sell the SS to get "some" of his $$$ back?? Do I need to go on.............sheessh.....

It would take one hell of a mishap to "tear up" the SS lines and if the old lines were considered due for replacement, why on earth would you want to put them back on your bike? Brakes are pretty important and even though the old lines "aint broke" once they come off the bike they ain't going back on. But that's just me.
PA_Rider is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
CHIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Van, BC
Posts: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Let's see: he somehow tears up the new front brake lines within a week of installing them (mishap in the garage, or on the road)........unless he kept the old ones, he's SOL until he can order new ones?? What if he sells the bike within a month of installing the new lines........he could swap them out with the stock units and sell the SS to get "some" of his $$$ back?? Do I need to go on.............sheessh.....
Tear his ss lines???....c'mon, that's a stretch....have you heard of this happening often on Stroms....ever?

If he's going to sell the bike within a month, maybe he should not put new lines on the bike.

They cost $80 new....what do you think used ones sell for, maybe $50? By the time you think of the time spent to re/re the lines, for a $50 sale, is it worth it?

I'm ALL for keeping OEM parts when I upgrade to aftermarket....I think it's nice for resale later, if nothing else, for perception to the new buyer, that you are a detail person.

BUT.....greasy old rubber brake lines.....uhh, no thanks, no value, no point.
CHIA is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 01:37 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: b'ham, Alabamie...29.4 minutes from Barbers
Posts: 2,672
I give up..............

....I revised my original post. Some of you guys nic-pic a post to pieces. Just because the bike has 26k miles on it does not mean the lines are due for replacement........was intended to be one of my original statements, in so many words. Some guys put that many miles on their bike in the first year........do they toss their brake lines for new ones?? That was my original thought........may not have come across that way, but like ya'll said IMHO......or my $0.02 worth. "Pickers are here, Pa........"

www.easternvstromrally.com
Over 100 Attendees at the May 2019......already planning it for 2020!!
mark444 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
PTRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington, the state
Posts: 7,437
Don't all hoses, especially high pressure hose like brake hose, have a braided reinforcing layer?

Hose has an inner liner compatible with the material run through it, a reinforcing layer for strength, and an outer cover for protection. Even your garden hose is built like this.

An OEM brake hose is made something like this. The braided reinforcing layer might be fiber, but it is suitable for the purpose. Steel braid is needed for very high pressure hydraulic service, and stainless steel braid is best suited for a corrosive environment or when under a transparent cover for max bling.

If the stock brake hose is working fine, if your brakes feel firm when properly bled and the hose shows no damage, stick with the stock hose and spend the money on a motorcycle trip to someplace especially interesting.

Here's a cutaway view of one type of hydraulic brake hose. The inner tube is EPDM, ethylene propylene diene Monomer, a type of synthetic rubber, the reinforcing layers are PVA polyvinyl alcohol fiber, either braided or served (wound) in opposite directions, and covered with EPDM.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
PTRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome