Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rideau Ferry, Ontario, Canada
Braided Brake lines
Over the last few days, between job panics I have been searching for feedback on Braided Brake Lines. I generally follow manufacturesr recommendations for maintenance and so far it's worked so planning to stick with it but wondering lately about brake lines, options for replacements etc. The posts I see are a mixed bag but not sure if I see a response that's closer to my situation and how I ride. I'd appreciate some opinions.
1) my 06 Dl650 has only 25k on it.
2) brakes (feel) seem ok to me
3) change fluids at recommended intervals, it's now time for hoses
4) hoses are in good shape, no cracks, no bulging when I apply brakes hard while feeling along length of the hose
5) at this point in my life, I'm more of an infrequent but far rider, than a fast one to be sure
6) still on my first set of pads, barely worn (I clean my disks regularly when I'm oiling chain - takes all of 2 secs with rag and brake cleaner) plus I use a lot of engine braking capability rather than hit the brakes - most of my riding is in country, not city.
Some research to various parts sites indicated there's not really a whole lot of difference (from my perspective) in cost between getting replacement hoses from dealer here versus replacing the lines with braided ones from elsewhere. I dont think my riding style warrants the upgrade but if I read things correctly, I could likely eliminate the next hose replacement and make an upgrade that would be desirable if I should trade / sell in the interim. I'd probably replace pads at same time. $ is not a prime object here meaning if I could afford the bike, I can afford to maintain it's operation and value.
IF you were me.......with that background and logic - would you upgrade?
Thanks in advance.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but desperation is it's father........... (Bell)