Shoei rf-1100 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-07-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
 
ChuckD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerman, CA
Posts: 70
Shoei rf-1100

Found a good deal on the RF-1100,


http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1201001/p/24037

Click-on "Get our best price"
ChuckD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
cobbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Richmond, VA USA
Posts: 35
Has anyone got one yet? They look great, but do they fit like the old RF-1000? If you have one, or get one, let us all know what you think.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2007 Gray Wee, Coocase S48 topcase, SW-Mo center-stand, quick lock tankring, Vina tankbag, Suzuki handguards, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS, Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse box, Tuono mirrors, Givi windshield.
cobbleman is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-07-2009, 04:09 PM
$tromtrooper
 
jawmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Warrenville, IL good 'ol USA
Posts: 338
They are $45 less at Helmet City, at least for the wine color.

2007 DL1000 faster blue,bone stock, Givi 52L top case. center stand, heated grips, 2006 XR650L sold, 1997 Honda CR250R smoker sold, 1982 KZ1000ELR Eddie Lawson version sold (sad), 1976 Honda 550-4 sold.
jawmail is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
cobbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Richmond, VA USA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawmail View Post
They are $45 less at Helmet City, at least for the wine color.
Are you looking at the RF-1000 or RF-1100. The price for a Wine RF-1100 at Helmet City is $377.99 and $324.99 at Com Acc. Both have free shipping. If you are looking for a closeout on the RF-1000 there are deals all over the place. I have not shopped them all, because, well I'm looking for the 1100.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2007 Gray Wee, Coocase S48 topcase, SW-Mo center-stand, quick lock tankring, Vina tankbag, Suzuki handguards, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS, Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse box, Tuono mirrors, Givi windshield.
cobbleman is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 50
Firstly, I'm no expert on helmets and sorry if I'm missing something (or highjacking the thread), but why do some people pay so much money for these type of helmets and whats wrong with the cheaper ones?

I got one of those seven zero seven helmets from cycle gear. It is both DOT and Snell certified, so it's clearly a strong helmet. It is my understanding that Snell approved is stronger than DOT in the sense that it is designed to withstand multiple impacts in one area where as DOT to withstand just one.

Anyway, I got mine on sale for $69.99 (MSRP was like $130), and it has the removal pads, visor, chin strap, etc. Mostly all the same stuff the more expensive Shoei or Arai helmets do. It is just slightly better ventilation and noise reduction you pay for? Do you think it just looks better?

I wear ear plugs while riding, and if an aftermarket shield takes care of the buffetting, why pay so much more?
FIFA STAR is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
kwkride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIFA STAR View Post
It is my understanding that Snell approved is stronger than DOT in the sense that it is designed to withstand multiple impacts in one area where as DOT to withstand just one.
While both test are conducted with multiple impacts, it is still recommended that your helmet be inspected or replaced after it has absorbed an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIFA STAR
It is just slightly better ventilation and noise reduction you pay for? Do you think it just looks better?
Two helmets that are rated the same and are hundreds of dollars apart in cost will both offer you similar protection in a crash. What you are paying the extra money for is comfort, features, appearance, etc. It is really personal preference. My current helmet is Shoei RF1000. For me, it is very comfortable and quiet. It also has the best ventilation of any helmet that I have owned. I can feel a breeze blow through the vents when I am standing in the parking lot.

Jim Hungate
MSF #27339
--
2006 DL650 Red
kwkride is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-10-2009, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
 
ChuckD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerman, CA
Posts: 70
Mine is coming, $309 delivered. I have an RF1000, So I can do a direct comparison. I mainly got it because my wife and I have the same size head. Since I found this deal, I knew i would be getting a quality lid.
ChuckD is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
boondock13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lorain,Ohio
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIFA STAR View Post
Firstly, I'm no expert on helmets and sorry if I'm missing something (or highjacking the thread), but why do some people pay so much money for these type of helmets and whats wrong with the cheaper ones?

I got one of those seven zero seven helmets from cycle gear. It is both DOT and Snell certified, so it's clearly a strong helmet. It is my understanding that Snell approved is stronger than DOT in the sense that it is designed to withstand multiple impacts in one area where as DOT to withstand just one.

Anyway, I got mine on sale for $69.99 (MSRP was like $130), and it has the removal pads, visor, chin strap, etc. Mostly all the same stuff the more expensive Shoei or Arai helmets do. It is just slightly better ventilation and noise reduction you pay for? Do you think it just looks better?

I wear ear plugs while riding, and if an aftermarket shield takes care of the buffetting, why pay so much more?
i thought the same way till i tried on an arai last week....hjc is getting the boot.......really, comfort weight were all different as soon as i pulled it on my melon. my helmet just felt like a clunky piece of junk...but on the other hand i'm sure it'll still keep my skull in minimal pieces.
boondock13 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-10-2009, 11:39 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Stalky Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sconsin, USA
Posts: 3,932
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondock13 View Post
i thought the same way till i tried on an arai last week....hjc is getting the boot.......really, comfort weight were all different as soon as i pulled it on my melon. my helmet just felt like a clunky piece of junk...but on the other hand i'm sure it'll still keep my skull in minimal pieces.
Same here. I would always rather pay $69.99 for helmet (that's all my head is worth :mrgreen than hundreds. But after trying an Arai I didn't care what it cost as it fit. I have tried numerous helmets over the years and all hurt after wearing 30+ minutes or were too loose to be effective. The Arai fit perfect; snug and no pressure points even after hours on the head. A helmet that fits your head is the best helmet, regardless of brand. YMMV

2020 Eastern V-Strom Rally (website) - May 14 - 17, 2020
__________________________________
2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650K
1986 Honda Shadow VT700C
1974 Suzuki TM-250
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80
Stalky Tracker is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-15-2009, 07:07 PM
$tromtrooper
 
jawmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Warrenville, IL good 'ol USA
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbleman View Post
Are you looking at the RF-1000 or RF-1100. The price for a Wine RF-1100 at Helmet City is $377.99 and $324.99 at Com Acc. Both have free shipping. If you are looking for a closeout on the RF-1000 there are deals all over the place. I have not shopped them all, because, well I'm looking for the 1100.
Yep you are correct, my mistake I was looking at the RF1000. BTW I just ordered one, a Monza Red one at my local dealer and he matched the CA price! It's a really nice helmet I tried one on and it fits like a proverbial glove. Too bad it's cold.

2007 DL1000 faster blue,bone stock, Givi 52L top case. center stand, heated grips, 2006 XR650L sold, 1997 Honda CR250R smoker sold, 1982 KZ1000ELR Eddie Lawson version sold (sad), 1976 Honda 550-4 sold.
jawmail is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome