So, after playing with the stock windshield, and really getting nowhere with reducing the buffeting aside from removing it entirely, I decided to work on making my own spoiler-style windshield out of Lexan. I used to ride sportbikes, so I like clean air over my helmet, not a dead spot to sit in. I also don't like to look through a windshield when riding. I haven't seen a lot of posts like this, so I thought some might find it interesting to see what I did...
I used .093 Lexan, found in the window section of your neighborhood Home Depot. They have any thickness you want, as long as it's .093.
I started by using the stock windshield and a dry erase marker to draw a rough outline of what I wanted my finished product to look like.
Then I used some printer paper to draw one half of my shape using the lines on the windshield.
Folding the paper in half and cutting it yields a symmetrical shape, and when I had something I was happy with, it is layed on the Lexan and taped down.
To cut the Lexan, I used a 20TPI Bosch jigsaw blade in my cheapie Ryobi cordless jigsaw. Going slow and holding the Lexan firm minimizes how much it jumps around. The blade cut it much cleaner than I expected.
After making small adjustments to the shape, I gently clamped the new piece to the old windshield and marked where to drill the required holes. I used a UniBit to drill the holes - worked like a champ with no cracking.
Lots of test fitting.
Little bit of sanding and off comes the protective plastic and I used the stock hardware to mount it up. The sheet is so thin that it bends to the shape of the bracket just fine - the locating posts hold it in place as long as the holes are drilled carefully and in the correct place.
The finished product, minus paint, which I'll do once I do any necessary fine-tuning to the shape.
From the riding position...
Total cost: $11 for lexan, $6 for jigsaw bit, $5 for 6-pack, and 2 hours of time.
I'll update tomorrow to let y'all know how it works out in the wind.