I did replace the seal and no more leaks!! In the process, however, I bunged up the threads on one of the mounting holes for the clutch slave cylinder (DL1000), and I think I over-applied my back brake (to counter the torque of the sprocket nut) 'cuz it leaked out a few days later.
A little frustrating to fix one thing and break two others, but it's all sorted and back together and it feels good to have a bone-dry garage floor again.
FWIW, if you can change a chain and sprockets, it's only two more bolts to remove the seal retainer. A little wiggling, pop the old one out, pop the new one in (be careful not to push it in too far - it can drop right thru the hole) put it all back together. I paid $11 for the new seal from my local dealer.
Like so many other maintenance jobs, it's an hour of removing crap, 2 minutes of doing what you need to do, and an hour of re-installing crap. In the case of the Vee, anyway, it's pretty straight-forward crap, tho.
EDIT: the only biatch of the job is having a 32mm socket for the sprocket nut. I found out recently that AutoZone loans such tools out if you leave a deposit - which is refunded when you return the tool. So really, if your time is free, the job costs $11.
EDIT to the EDIT: Just realized it was you who started the YANCAS thread on the DL1000 forum - we're right in sync, chain/sprocket/oil-leak-wise.
Last edited by steve68steve; 10-14-2009 at 09:40 PM.