Sprocket replacement question. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
janiceclanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,960
Sprocket replacement question.

I just had my sprockets replaced by a guy who knows what he's doing. He's been a mechanic on race bikes for years and is pretty well respected.

When I looked on this forum, I found that instructions for the sprocket replacement indicated that the clutch lever -must- be compressed and held while removing the slave portion over the sprocket cover.

I showed the instructions to the mechanic, and neither he nor I could figure out why the lever should be compressed. He guessed that perhaps it was a way of ensuring that no air gets into the system.

So, why do the instructions demand the clutch lever compression?

Well? I'm waiting...



p.s. Aren't you impressed that I actually posted a legitimate question for a change?

I know -I- am...




1979 GL1000 Goldwing / 1992 Nighthawk 250 - Baby
2003 DL1000 - Priscilla / 1997 Concours - Ms. Piggy
2002 DL1000 - Fluffy the Torque Monster (Deceased)
2003 DL1000 - Freya, Queen of the Valkyries
janiceclanfield is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Raindog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eidsvoll, Norway
Posts: 62
I was also a bit puzzled by that. I chose to trust my Haynes book that says "don't operate the clutch lever with the release cylinder removed". It also says that one should use cable ties around the piston and through the mounting holes to prevent the piston creeping out. This method worked perfectly for me..

Roar BjÝrndal-Rasmussen
Eidsvoll, Norway

'01 gsx600f, sold in '06 and replaced by...
'04 DL1000 V-Strom
Raindog is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 1
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceclanfield View Post
When I looked on this forum, I found that instructions for the sprocket replacement indicated that the clutch lever -must- be compressed and held while removing the slave portion over the sprocket cover.
Trust your mechanic and ignore the instructions here. Compressing the clutch lever when removing the slave is the first bad advice I've seen on this forum. I tried it against my own judgment, never again. If you enjoy bleeding you clutch when you shouldn't have to, then by all means compress the lever.
Wingspan is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
bureaucrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceclanfield View Post


p.s. Aren't you impressed that I actually posted a legitimate question for a change?

I know -I- am...
Well, I am as well, Janice. Did a Warner Brothers cartoon style double take.

But I don't know the answer to your question. . .

The frightening thing is not dying
The frightening thing is not living

[I]T Bone Burnett[/I]
bureaucrat is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
DFW_Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceclanfield View Post
When I looked on this forum, I found that instructions for the sprocket replacement indicated that the clutch lever -must- be compressed and held while removing the slave portion over the sprocket cover.

I showed the instructions to the mechanic, and neither he nor I could figure out why the lever should be compressed. He guessed that perhaps it was a way of ensuring that no air gets into the system.

So, why do the instructions demand the clutch lever compression?
Because the clutch slave cylinder is under spring pressure and with the lever not compressed, it will allow the spring to eventually push the piston all the way out. By compressing the lever, you close the system off and put it in a hydraulic lock so the spring can't push the piston out. Just release the lever before you attempt to put the slave cylinder back on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
Trust your mechanic and ignore the instructions here. Compressing the clutch lever when removing the slave is the first bad advice I've seen on this forum. I tried it against my own judgment, never again. If you enjoy bleeding you clutch when you shouldn't have to, then by all means compress the lever.
One squeeze of the clutch lever will NOT make the piston pop out. Granted, if you squeeze 10 times or so, then yes, it will pop. But I don't think anyone on here has ever said that. As for bad advice, I guess you can thank the service manual cause that's where we learned it from. If it were me, I'd trust a mechanic that knows how to read a service manual and follow instructions. But that's just me.

Bill (04 DL1000) (00 KLR650) (05 YZ250)
DFW_Warrior is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
janiceclanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
Because the clutch slave cylinder is under spring pressure and with the lever not compressed, it will allow the spring to eventually push the piston all the way out. By compressing the lever, you close the system off and put it in a hydraulic lock so the spring can't push the piston out. Just release the lever before you attempt to put the slave cylinder back on the bike.
The mechanic didn't release the lever before putting everything back together again and it all works perfectly.

WTF?

Now I'm -really- confused.





1979 GL1000 Goldwing / 1992 Nighthawk 250 - Baby
2003 DL1000 - Priscilla / 1997 Concours - Ms. Piggy
2002 DL1000 - Fluffy the Torque Monster (Deceased)
2003 DL1000 - Freya, Queen of the Valkyries
janiceclanfield is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
DFW_Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceclanfield View Post
The mechanic didn't release the lever before putting everything back together again and it all works perfectly.

WTF?
No worries, it's not going to hurt anything, it just makes it harder to re-assemble. Once you release the lever, things go back the way they were supposed to be. You may want to just double check the torque on the bolts for the slave cylinder though since they were also pushing against the pressure plate springs while he was tightening it down. But don't worry, there is no harm in leaving the lever compressed, it just makes it a little tougher to put it together.

Bill (04 DL1000) (00 KLR650) (05 YZ250)
DFW_Warrior is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 1
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
One squeeze of the clutch lever will NOT make the piston pop out. Granted, if you squeeze 10 times or so, then yes, it will pop. But I don't think anyone on here has ever said that. As for bad advice, I guess you can thank the service manual cause that's where we learned it from. If it were me, I'd trust a mechanic that knows how to read a service manual and follow instructions. But that's just me.
I never said it would make the piston pop out. If you actually read my post, you'd know that I DID do it as the instructions on this site suggest when I removed mine, but I won't be doing it that way next time. This isn't my first bike or first hydraulic clutch. This was, however, the first time I had to bleed the clutch as a part of doing this job.

Last edited by Wingspan; 09-02-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Wingspan is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 1
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
Just release the lever before you attempt to put the slave cylinder back on the bike.
BTW, that is not what the instructions here on Stromtrooper say:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=26282

Quote:
Tools required:
∑ 5mm hex wrench or socket
∑ 4mm hex wrench or socket
∑ 8mm combination wrench
∑ 8mm socket and ratchet (1/4 or 3/8 drive take your pick)
∑ Kerosene and rags (optional)
Start by securing the clutch lever to the hand grip. Any method that keeps the lever pulled in will work. I used cable ties.

Once you have done this (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP) locate the slave cylinder. It is held in place by two 5mm hex head bolts. Remove these bolts.

Remove the slave. Work it gently from side to side as you pull back. Be sure that you donít force it up or down, as this might bend the push rod, and that would be bad.

Sometimes the rubber cup comes off with the slave, and sometimes it stays in the carrier

If Itís still in there just pluck it out. And remove the pushrod gently. Donít damage the seal that goes through the case.




The sprocket cover is held in place with three (3) 8mm bolts. Two can be easily accessed using a ratchet and 8mm socket, but the one closest to the shift linkage will require the 8mm combo wrench and a s**tload of quarter turns.



Once you have the sprocket cover off you can locate the tube that protects the bolt in front of the chain.





Now would be a good time to clean all that chain goo and road crap out of there.

Replace the sprocket cover

Be sure to put the round peg back into the hole

Now when you are ready to re-install the slave, take the front bolt and put it through the slave and then slide the tube over it like thisÖ

And start it by hand. Then start the second. Tighten them alternately insuring that the slave is installed evenly. Check that everything is tight and then cut the cable ties. You are done.
Wingspan is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
DFW_Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
I never said it would make the piston pop out. If you actually read my post, you'd know that I DID do it as the instructions on this site suggest when I removed mine, but I won't be doing it that way next time. This isn't my first bike or first hydraulic clutch. This was, however, the first time I had to bleed the clutch as a part of doing this job.
Why did you have to bleed the clutch? And how is this the fault of compressing a clutch lever?

Bill (04 DL1000) (00 KLR650) (05 YZ250)
DFW_Warrior is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome