Aux Lights Pics.... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 08-05-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chateauguay, QC, Canada
Posts: 5
Aux Lights Pics....

Greetings from Quebec, Canada,
I am looking at adding some Aux Lights on my Wee.
I would like to see pics of yours to give myself some ideas of what is available out there...
Thanks in advance
Samuraii51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 19
Here's my setup. I got the idea from someone on either advrider or stromtrooper, can't remember which. A big thanks to that person!

It's very basic and easy setup, the lights are 1W waterproof LED:s from dealextreme.com and cost about $12 a piece.



The smaller led:s on the crashbars are BikeVis Brites

Edit: Found the thread where I got the tip, lots of pics here. Sorry for linking to another forum but it's all good and in the interest of fellow stromtroopers!
Let's see Your aux light setup

If alcohol, tar and sauna can't heal it, it's deadly. (Finnish folk wisdom)

Yamaha XT660R -06 upgraded with *.*

Exbikes: V-Strom 650 -04, Triumph Sprint RS 955i -04

Last edited by BeardedFinn; 08-06-2009 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Added link to BikeVis & another lights thread
BeardedFinn is offline  
post #3 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Jeff Kushner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Just north of Annapolis Maryland
Posts: 1,355
I took this picture before I left for Ohio last month. I wasn't really taking pictures of the aux lights but you'll get the idea. I went to Joe's party last summer and a couple of guys there had aux lights. I found these online for 10 bucks or so and switched out the 50w lights with 35w'ers to keep the drain on my alternator down. They work fantastic!!

jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RD2.jpg (93.7 KB, 253 views)

Present only:
My VStrom 1000 K7
Stock bikes: a
purple '74 RD350 in great shape,
'72 H1,
1975 GT550,
All-original 1975 H2 750 triple (purple of course),
Modified bikes:
1974 H2 750(my go-fast), a scary fast & fully ported street machine!
'82 Yam 650 Turbo- running 18PSI, Be sure to be pointed where you want to go!
'75 GT550 built up & ported,
'75- H1 wrist-rocket- HOLY GOD ALMIGHTY!
'75 S1 Kaw 250 baby triple w/ lifted and ported 350cc cylinders/28mm flatslides
To-Restore list: '72 H1, 1-'75 H1, 1974 GT750
Jeff Kushner is offline  
 
post #4 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 524
For my money - the back of the mirrors are great places to add LEDs. I did. You can buy LED strips in 'amber' from radiantz or superbrightleds that have
3M auto adhesive on the back.

Stick them on, wire them into the heated grip wire so they're 'switched' and your good to go.

You can also buy a resistor setup from radiantz that allows you to use the LEDs as running lights and turn signals. The wiring is about 10 minutes more complex but requires a full teardown of the plastic.

Benefits - the lights are UP in drivers eyes. The lights form a wider TRIANGLE and aren't swallowed by the bright ass headlights. They're 'amber' which contrasts the white of the headlights.

Others will post about the importance of the TRIANGLE concept.

Comments about my lights, "Man I saw those things from way across the parking lot - they really POP" This was at 7:30am after the sun had come up on a cloudy day. I don't have a link to the video I posted showing them. I can find the thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRi0chZCze4

if that isn't the right video let me know - work server blocks youtube

Paul "Happy Wanderer"
"I want to live. I want to experience the universe,
and I want to eat pie"
2008 DL650 (BeeStrom) *SOLD*
2006 DL1000 (Quick Silver)
2013 Piaggio BV350 (BlackWidow)
2007 Kawasaki Nomad (Scarlet)

[url]http://motophotofile.blogspot.com[/url]
HappyWanderer is offline  
post #5 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
$tromtrooper
 
henerythe8th's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ice Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,516
That video is your trunk.

VStrom LED Lights in JC Whitney trunk


.

L2V -- she's a stocker!...and gone...
2011 MG Stelvio
henerythe8th is offline  
post #6 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Ducman69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWanderer View Post
For my money - the back of the mirrors are great places to add LEDs. I did. You can buy LED strips in 'amber' from radiantz or superbrightleds that have
3M auto adhesive on the back.

Stick them on, wire them into the heated grip wire so they're 'switched' and your good to go.

You can also buy a resistor setup from radiantz that allows you to use the LEDs as running lights and turn signals. The wiring is about 10 minutes more complex but requires a full teardown of the plastic.

Benefits - the lights are UP in drivers eyes. The lights form a wider TRIANGLE and aren't swallowed by the bright ass headlights. They're 'amber' which contrasts the white of the headlights.

Others will post about the importance of the TRIANGLE concept.

Comments about my lights, "Man I saw those things from way across the parking lot - they really POP" This was at 7:30am after the sun had come up on a cloudy day. I don't have a link to the video I posted showing them. I can find the thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRi0chZCze4

if that isn't the right video let me know - work server blocks youtube
Completely agree, although I'm going the easy route and just putting reflexite on them. Should arrive tomorrow!

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/DumbDuck44"]Duc's WeeStrom Vlog[/URL]
Ducman69 is offline  
post #7 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sun Prairie, WI
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by henerythe8th View Post
That video is your trunk.
Watch the whole video. The lights on the mirrors are towards the end.
dsm_rally is offline  
post #8 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
swingset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 2,015
Send a message via Yahoo to swingset
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedFinn View Post
Here's my setup. I got the idea from someone on either advrider or stromtrooper, can't remember which. A big thanks to that person!

It's very basic and easy setup, the lights are 1W waterproof LED:s from dealextreme.com and cost about $12 a piece.



The smaller led:s on the crashbars are BikeVis Brites

Edit: Found the thread where I got the tip, lots of pics here. Sorry for linking to another forum but it's all good and in the interest of fellow stromtroopers!
Let's see Your aux light setup
Cool! That was me on ADV (I posted them here too, IIRC).

Never met a dog I didn't like, a machine I couldn't break, or a woman I couldn't tick off.
swingset is offline  
post #9 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Warhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,117
Signaling the mother ship:
Warhammer is offline  
post #10 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Until we meet again
 
Dirt_Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kushner View Post
a couple of guys there had aux lights. I found these online for 10 bucks or so and switched out the 50w lights with 35w'ers to keep the drain on my alternator down. They work fantastic!!
That's brilliant!

By the way, they finally sold out of those light. But not before I purchased 4 sets of 'em.


2019 BMW F750 GS, 2015 XT1200 ES, 2012 Yamaha XT250, 2013 Suzuki DR650
Dirt_Dad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome