2020 V-Strom 1050 discussion - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

 810Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gateway to Death Valley
Posts: 3,532
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offnote View Post
LOL you wish.

The 1000 is a nicer in bike in every way, I've had both.
All the way from fit and finish, components, suspension, brakes, motor, hydraulic slipper clutch, etc.


The 650 is the entry level bike.
MariusD, SECoda, Jim L and 2 others like this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Spec is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
offwegoagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 42
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronw View Post
They'll release this instead. Or, they are still fighting over colors for 2020 on the DL1000, and it will be on the website in a couple weeks.
Seriously, Suzuki has never put alot of work into their web page, they've been slow to update before.

From the image it pretty much looks like a bit restyled and more adventure oriented 1000. If they replace the engine with 1200, add cruise and keep the weight reasonable I wouldn't mind that kind of switch in the lineup. Big DR may be known to the enthusiasts, V-Strom is a well known marketing brand, it wouldn't surprise me if there was no DL1000 in the lineup to make place for a V-Strom 1200/DL1200 to be included later on this year.
Byronw and SECoda like this.

Custom signature...
offwegoagain is offline  
post #23 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 01:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
RCinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I remember seeing somewhere that the 1000 sales were competitive with the 650.
Most all ADV shootout type things rank it near the top especially in the bang for buck.

I would believe that the DR Big would be a logical replacement though especially with Honda coming out with a 1200 AT. All the other ADV bikes are in the 1200 range anymore.

Begs the question why one needs a 120+ horse power "off road" bike but hey...
I've never actually seen any sales figures for individual Suzuki models, and I've definitely looked out of sheer curiosity. I wouldn't choose a 120 HP, 600 pound plus bike as my off-road choice either, provided "off-road" actually meant off-road and not "riding on gravel and forest roads". If I was faced with the prospect of riding on the kinds of roads where I'd have to regularly be trying to muscle the bike over logs and rocks and frequently picking up the bike when it inevitably fell over, my supertanker of a Yamaha wouldn't even make my top ten list of choices. It does make a damn fine touring bike, though.
Byronw, Spec and STCorndog like this.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
RCinNC is online now  
 
post #24 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 236
Just looking on the street and trails, the dl 1000 is probably the rarest seen out from 1000cc adventure bikes on the market.
This is Suzuki marketing department fault but still, finally financial department stepped in and said - enough.
offnote is online now  
post #25 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gateway to Death Valley
Posts: 3,532
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offnote View Post
Just looking on the street and trails, the dl 1000 is probably the rarest seen out from 1000cc adventure bikes on the market.
This is Suzuki marketing department fault but still, finally financial department stepped in and said - enough.

I live in an area that sees a lot of ADV bikes going through.

My observations:

BMW GS is the most common bike by far.

After that it's a fair mix and the Strom is certainly well represented. Probably a lot of ex-KTM guys riding them, hah.


Of course more Harley's than anything, 2-3 times as many really. Sorry Harley hater guys!

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Spec is offline  
post #26 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,673
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
The 1000 is a nicer in bike in every way, I've had both.
All the way from fit and finish, components, suspension, brakes, motor, hydraulic slipper clutch, etc.


The 650 is the entry level bike.
Nah......obviously to each their own, and I'm no entry level rider.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #27 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
PerazziMx14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post

Begs the question why one needs a 120+ horse power "off road" bike but hey...
For making monster roosts!

Off road verses off pavement is drastically thing. Most "Adventure" bikes see limited "off pavement" like groomed fire break roads. I was just in Labrador and there are several hundred kilometers of the TLH still unpaved but it is a groomed road. There are sections where you can do 100 MPH and others where they are laying down stone or grading 25 or 30 MPH will pucker you up. Especially if you are going from a high seed section then find yourself in the middle of a slow seed section.

Most "adventure" bikes do not see off-road even wide open single track let alone hardcore single track.

I too thinks its funny everyone what more power but they want a bike with traction control and 36 power control modes so they can dumb down the power but still brag they have a trillion HP bike.

I can save manufacturers millions in R&D just pull a couple plug wires to reduce the power.

Last edited by PerazziMx14; 09-05-2019 at 11:22 AM.
PerazziMx14 is online now  
post #28 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 05:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
The 650 is the entry level bike.



ok, how old are you?
kd70qc, Rollin' and TheIntersect like this.
offnote is online now  
post #29 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: central Va.
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
For making monster roosts!

Off road verses off pavement is drastically thing. Most "Adventure" bikes see limited "off pavement" like groomed fire break roads. I was just in Labrador and there are several hundred kilometers of the TLH still unpaved but it is a groomed road. There are sections where you can do 100 MPH and others where they are laying down stone or grading 25 or 30 MPH will pucker you up. Especially if you are going from a high seed section then find yourself in the middle of a slow seed section.

Most "adventure" bikes do not see off-road even wide open single track let alone hardcore single track.

I too thinks its funny everyone what more power but they want a bike with traction control and 36 power control modes so they can dumb down the power but still brag they have a trillion HP bike.

I can save manufacturers millions in R&D just pull a couple lug wires to reduce the power.
I like high torque smooth large 4 cylinder engines. Upright riding position with a supple suspension. heavy is ok I'll never be going off road just crappy back roads. I don't need 150 HP, just peak torque @ low rpm's.

In the shed- 07 DL1000, 13 ZG1400, 16 VFR1200X
smoothbored is offline  
post #30 of 655 Old 08-30-2019, 08:28 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gateway to Death Valley
Posts: 3,532
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offnote View Post
...
ok, how old are you?

I'm guessing older than you!

When a bike manufacturer builds multiple same model named bikes typically the smaller displacement bike has lower spec components.

It sells at lower price and is termed the entry level bike. Gets you into that model series. Upgrading gets you into the premium bike.

There you go history lesson youngster!
MAZ4ME likes this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Spec is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome