Barkbusters Storm 1 point mount vs 2 (or better alternative handguard?) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-07-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 82
Barkbusters Storm 1 point mount vs 2 (or better alternative handguard?)

Contemplating Barkbusters Storm,. I think they come in 1 and 2 point mount configuration. I am looking for robust wind protection and lever protection in case if fall. Would the one point mounts protect? Or are there others less expensive yet as good on the market?
vboost is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 07-07-2019, 10:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Hogges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Vermont
Posts: 415
Garage
The regular (2-point) Barkbusters are definitely very well made and will protect your levers. Hard to imagine that a single point handguard is able to do the same.

There are cheaper clones out there I think but I bought the real ones and would do so again for piece of mind both in durability of hardware and in installation/fitment. These things are not that easy to install, at least I want to be sure they fit in the first place and I can get support if needed.

BTW: I got the VPS model, thinking it looks better on my 2017 650. The only difference is the plastic, which is interchangeable. The VPS has two settings for the wind deflector, high and low.
Hogges is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 07-07-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 82
Thanks for the reply I want the assurance ( as much as you can be assured..) that a drop I should be covered and be able to get out of the woods. I cheap out on a lot of things but I think this is something I should go legit on. Snapping a lever 10 miles deep in a logging trail would be less than optimal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogges View Post
The regular (2-point) Barkbusters are definitely very well made and will protect your levers. Hard to imagine that a single point handguard is able to do the same.

There are cheaper clones out there I think but I bought the real ones and would do so again for piece of mind both in durability of hardware and in installation/fitment. These things are not that easy to install, at least I want to be sure they fit in the first place and I can get support if needed.

BTW: I got the VPS model, thinking it looks better on my 2017 650. The only difference is the plastic, which is interchangeable. The VPS has two settings for the wind deflector, high and low.
vboost is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 07-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Rolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney's East
Posts: 2,887
Guards are no grantee to save your leavers so there is a couple of other things you can do to help.


Put Teflon plumbers tape under your perches.

This will allow you to tighten down your gear enough that it will stay in place under normal use but if you have a get off your gear can move, this will absorb the shock thus saving leavers, mirrors and master cylinders.


You can also drill a small hole in your leavers at a point where you would like it to break should the worst happen.

By having a weak point part way down a leaver you can ensure it breaks with enough leaver left that you can still use it.
WildDoktor and vboost like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Rolex is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Guards are no grantee to save your leavers so there is a couple of other things you can do to help.


Put Teflon plumbers tape under your perches.

This will allow you to tighten down your gear enough that it will stay in place under normal use but if you have a get off your gear can

EXCELLENT advice!!!!!!! move, this will absorb the shock thus saving leavers, mirrors and master cylinders.


You can also drill a small hole in your leavers at a point where you would like it to break should the worst happen.

By having a weak point part way down a leaver you can ensure it breaks with enough leaver left that you can still use it.
EXCELLENT advice!!!!!!!

I think i may do this
vboost is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 07-08-2019, 01:21 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
WildDoktor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 362
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Put Teflon plumbers tape under your perches.
+1 on this. I did this on my CR500 back in the day and only broke one lever the entire season I rode with them like that. That's dropping the bike multiple times a day.

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
WildDoktor is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 07-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Umbrianissimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 145
@vboost
I have the barbusters two-point mount / storm guards on my 2017. I dropped my bike, at very low speed, on a steep hairpin trail during a training course. The drop is unfortunately not visible here, but it is just over the edge to the left of the photo. Drop was onto sharp 4 -6" rocks. I was barely moving (and not looking where I wanted to go as well as moving too slowly). Small scrape to kappa bars and some scrapes to barkbuster. I'd say they did very well. No damage to levers or mirror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1429.jpg (678.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1420.jpg (452.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1421.jpg (355.9 KB, 9 views)
vboost likes this.

Damon
2017 DL 650 and maybe another Vespa?

I'm having an adventure- so, its an adventure bike.
Now that summer is here, I'm retiring so I can ride full time.
Umbrianissimo is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 07-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Rolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney's East
Posts: 2,887
BB's are a great system but they are only bolted on so they can move given the right/wrong circumstances.

BB's having the 2 mounting points also helps to support the handlebars, while they may get bent a total breakage is less likely so you can continue your trip/ride.
Motorpsychology and vboost like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Rolex is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 133
Expecting a piece of aluminum and plastic to take the impact of a falling 400 lb motorcycle is unrealistic. And if you are depending on someone else's assurances that the bark busters will protect you in every conceivable get off, what are you going to do when the shift or brake lever snaps 40 miles from a paved road? Why not just carry an extra shift and brake lever with you and a couple of wrenches?

If you ride off road, accidents are going to happen. The best you can do is learn how to deal with minor damage to the bike. If you have the skills, it will take away some of the worry about disabling your bike in the boonies, you will ride more relaxed and might avoid a crash you might otherwise have had. And the skills you develop to deal w/ unforeseen mechanical problems will be used in maintaining your bike.
Ratchet is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 07-09-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 82
I was not asking for a written guarantee. I was asking for a realistic expectation of what would happen when various versions of BB were dropped.... which i have received from multiple posters.

thanks anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
Expecting a piece of aluminum and plastic to take the impact of a falling 400 lb motorcycle is unrealistic. And if you are depending on someone else's assurances that the bark busters will protect you in every conceivable get off, what are you going to do when the shift or brake lever snaps 40 miles from a paved road? Why not just carry an extra shift and brake lever with you and a couple of wrenches?

If you ride off road, accidents are going to happen. The best you can do is learn how to deal with minor damage to the bike. If you have the skills, it will take away some of the worry about disabling your bike in the boonies, you will ride more relaxed and might avoid a crash you might otherwise have had. And the skills you develop to deal w/ unforeseen mechanical problems will be used in maintaining your bike.
Jaybirdka likes this.
vboost is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome