So over this weekend, a bright idea came about of tinting the windshields. Originally he had mentioned that he wanted his done on the 2019 1000XT, and I very proudly proclaimed that I've tinted the lights on my Mazda and it's super easy!! That I'd do it for him. He told me to do mine first (2018 650)
I might have been a couple of mimosa's in at this point, maybe a beer.. Not sure. It was the weekend and we were hosting a Cuatro De Mayo at our house and not going anywhere so why not...
Anyways.. Windshield removed.. did a fine wet sand to help the Nite Shade adhere, and put on the first coat..
DISASTER!!! It actually etched the plastic and made it look like a Lichtenberg burn. Me in my infinate wisdom (there might have been a sangria at this point too) decided lets just plasti-dip it, that stuff is thick and will fill in the cracks..
WRONG!!! It enhanced them!
At this point, enchiladas were ready and friends were here so I just shoved it in the garage and figured I'd look at it the next morning.
The next morning I realize how much work this was going to take. It had to be sanded off, and not a fine grit like I was using either. This had to be taken down to what was etched into the plastic. I spent a good amount of time getting it done with an electric sander, my hand is still numb from the vibrations, but after some rough sand and finer sanding and buffing it got to a point where I was comfortable enough to try again with a different brand tint. This stuff worked great!! However the way I had it setting and the warm air outside caused it to dry fast, and there were waves. The wind blowing ash from the firepit into it didn't help either. I might have said some colorful words and started the sanding process ALL OVER AGAIN (After it dried fully of course)
THE NEXT TIME, the man was smart enough to tell me to just go in the garage, and forget the wind and debris blowing everywhere and try it there. I knew at this point the windshield was going to be totally unusable to see through it and had already looked at the cost of replacing. I was also racking my brain trying to figure out if I actually USED the damn thing to look through or just as a wind deflector and decided it was just to help whip the wind onto the top of my helmet. I had to throw 4 coats on it totally to hide imperfections but it ended up actually turning out pretty well. I didn't want to go that dark when I started this whole process but you live and learn.
It's funny, he doesn't want me to tint his now.....
Y'all may proceed with the laughing..