Shoulder riding not permitted in WA state! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-20-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Dakar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 164
Shoulder riding not permitted in WA state!

A friend told me of the new M/C law in Washington State: M/Cs are allowed to ride on the shoulder during times of stop/go and slow traffic similar to California lane splitting regs.. NOT TRUE. This has been a topic for at least 3 years and a legislator has sponsored a bill to allow this-SB 5623-but it did not pass the House vote. I verified this with the WA SP so don't try it or you risk a $136 fine. The reason mentioned for the delay of the passage is the public needs time to be educated about lane splitting/shoulder driving or it could provoke road rage. In 2018 there was a fatal road rage incident between a biker and truck driver; a fist fight devolved into a shooting. Education is probably a wise choice.
sempervee and chikosneff like this.
Dakar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 04-20-2018, 10:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gateway to Death Valley
Posts: 3,364
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
A friend told me of the new M/C law in Washington State: M/Cs are allowed to ride on the shoulder during times of stop/go and slow traffic similar to California lane splitting regs.. NOT TRUE. This has been a topic for at least 3 years and a legislator has sponsored a bill to allow this-SB 5623-but it did not pass the House vote. I verified this with the WA SP so don't try it or you risk a $136 fine. The reason mentioned for the delay of the passage is the public needs time to be educated about lane splitting/shoulder driving or it could provoke road rage. In 2018 there was a fatal road rage incident between a biker and truck driver; a fist fight devolved into a shooting. Education is probably a wise choice.

Is not legal to ride on the shoulder in California either. The legal term is lane sharing. You can occupy the same lane if there's room even in a car.

You don't want to ride on a shoulder anyway. That's where all the debris ends up. Flat tire city!

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Spec is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 04-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
bighammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 414
OK, good to know. Median it is! unk:
chicago likes this.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
bighammer is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old 04-21-2018, 02:07 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bugzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,134
Just watch out for cops, and know if they get you, you get a fine, it's better than dying from overheating in a 3 hour lineup. I have passed massive numbers of cars riding on the shoulder, its the only way to stay cool sometimes, to say nothing about your clutch hand pains. There is always the risk of road rage though, that will never change, but we don't have the luxury of air conditioning, comfy seats and snacks to chew on. It should be made legal for us, and I have never had a flat doing it either.
Bugzy is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 04-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: FL's Space Coast
Posts: 307
I've seen cagers doing it during traffic backups. Not often, but it happens.
remoandiris is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 04-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Pepe lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Colombia
Posts: 106
Much safer to ride on the shoulder than risk getting rear-ended in heavy traffic, i look in my mirrors and i see the drivers face lit up with blue light, i know they are on the phone, and not looking at me in front of them, if traffic is steady and slow, i'll drive in my lane, if it's stopped or stop and go, then i stay out of their way, also, if traffic is going 75-80, i don't do 55,,,so i don't worry about traffic laws first, i worry about my ass first, good luck

2016 wee strom -- when in doubt, give it gas
2009 KLR 50k
2005 KLR 25k stolen
1982 XJ1100 200k miles and going, only oil and plugs
1976 XS750 special
1966 international pickup, Harley retrieval vehicle
Pepe lopez is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 04-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bugzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoandiris View Post
I've seen cagers doing it during traffic backups. Not often, but it happens.
Yes, this often happens when their exit is coming up, why sit stuck in traffic when you can get out easily.

Also the more motorcycles that ride the shoulder, the less of a traffic jam there is.
Bugzy is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 04-21-2018, 01:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadna area
Posts: 13,186
Motorcycles shoulds be mandatory for travel when there is only one person. None of this sitting in a 2-4000 pound box diddling the phone or watching a movie on the tablet.
i have a beverage, water, in the tank bag to stay hydrated so creature comforts are possible.
Just imaging how well the traffic would flow if there were 100K fewer cars on the way to work. Exception being when the Cruiser folks want to travel in regimented side by side packs.
notacop is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 04-22-2018, 09:39 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: FL's Space Coast
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
Yes, this often happens when their exit is coming up, why sit stuck in traffic when you can get out easily.

Also the more motorcycles that ride the shoulder, the less of a traffic jam there is.
The most recent one I saw, there was no exit, just some asshole too fixated on himself getting thru the traffic jam faster than anyone else.

As far as motorcyclists using the sholder, the same could be said about cagers. If more used it, the less traffic would be in the travel lanes.
remoandiris is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 04-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bugzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoandiris View Post
The most recent one I saw, there was no exit, just some asshole too fixated on himself getting thru the traffic jam faster than anyone else.

As far as motorcyclists using the sholder, the same could be said about cagers. If more used it, the less traffic would be in the travel lanes.
The shoulder width can vary quite a lot since it is not meant for moving cars, where a motorcycle can get through no problem, also car owners are always worried about getting a scratch/dent in their shiny outer skin, where bikers don't care about that so much.
Bugzy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome