How do you legally, fly/drive and ride a bike? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Supatramp's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 724
How do you legally, fly/drive and ride a bike?

I asked this question on a classified post and am getting answers, from members, on how they did a bike purchase. I'm surprised at the chances, some have taken.
Let's eliminate the insured part, and assume at least they had coverage. I believe, some states, will issue, private parties, a temporary plate, some won't, etc., etc., etc.
I asked this question at my motor vehicle agency and could not get an answer.
I'm not looking for an answer about how you used another plate, registration, or how you lived by the seat of you pants and winged it. I like to know, how it's done properly, so if you're unlucky enough to get stopped and checked by the law, the bike isn't impounded and you spend time behind bars in another state or country.

Supatramp is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
p38arover's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Western Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 4,575
In the US, isn't an out-of-Stater allowed to buy and ride the bike home on the plate currently on the bike?

We can keep interstate plates for up to 3 months. There's no problem insuring the bike here.

2007 Yamaha XJR1300

RIP Bucko
1979-2008 - Riding on forever
p38arover is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 04:16 PM
Official Sponsor
realshelby's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 5,039
Originally Posted by p38arover View Post
In the US, isn't an out-of-Stater allowed to buy and ride the bike home on the plate currently on the bike?
No. That is considered "improper registration" in many states. Yes, insurance is usually not a problem even if you don't yet hold ownership of the bike. There are two ways to do it right. Research the selling owners state to see if you can go to the local department of motor vehicles and obtain a temporary license. You will need proof of ownership, insurance, sometimes a signed mileage statement and so forth. That allows cross country travel in the US with no issues. Maybe good across borders, but I do NOT know for sure. Secondly you can work through a motorcycle dealer. This is called an "In and Out" in the business. You will pay them a fee for handling the transaction, which might be $100-$300 but you will have to find that out. They, on paper, make it look like they buy the bike from the seller then immediately sell it to you. They have all the forms onsite to facilitate the sale, especially the temporary license plates. ( this is especially good for the seller if he is buying a new bike as the one being "traded" in will allow tax credits on the new bike. That makes up for the transaction fee and then some on occasion ).
greywolf, AR-Stromer and Motor7 like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE:

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
realshelby is online now  
post #4 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 04:34 PM
Super Trooper!
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 275
What were you doing that the police stopped you in the first place???
Spec and Rides2Work like this.
Rambouillet is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 05:11 PM
NyMeTsFaN912's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 1,990
I feel the person out and if they seem responsible they can ride it home on my insurance and registration and I'll cancel when they get home. Also have them send you your plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NyMeTsFaN912 is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Spec's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gateway to Death Valley
Posts: 3,530
As long as you have a signed title and your insurance company knows about it you should be good to go yes?

Don't take off the plates until you get it home.

As far as getting pulled over on a new bike, well you see officer I just got this bike and wanted to see what she would do!

Might work.
NyMeTsFaN912 and Rides2Work like this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Spec is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadna area
Posts: 13,911
In Calif, you fill out a form and send it to DMV or do it on line and it releases you of liability at the sale. What happens after that is the buyers problem.
You'd want to call and cancel Ins too.
Buyer can call their INS and get it as of the purchase.
I had the police call and tell me my car was in impound, did I want to come get it? I'd already done the paper work and the buyer never out the car in their name.
There were no further problems.
Rides2Work likes this.
notacop is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 PM
greywolf's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
In Illinois, the license plates stay with the original owner. It would be illegal for me to leave the plates on a bike I sold. That's why it's necessary to check with the DMV of both states to make sure the proper procedure is followed. There may also be sales tax issues. Different states have different policies on sales to out of state buyers and different policies between dealer sales and owner sales.
notacop likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at
greywolf is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 05:41 PM
OydnaR's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,775
Originally Posted by p38arover View Post
In the US, isn't an out-of-Stater allowed to buy and ride the bike home on the plate currently on the bike?

We can keep interstate plates for up to 3 months. There's no problem insuring the bike here.
every state has its own rules, regulations and or laws in this regard, the United States is not a country divided up into states, it is a union of individual and autonomous states, much like the EU is a union of separate countries
p38arover likes this.

Copyright (c) 2019
OydnaR is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 11-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Chucksklrst's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 517
That is what I did on my Fly and Ride to Washington State. Had Proof of insurance, Bill of sale with date and time of sale, Washington State title showing the transfer of ownership and I used the PO's plates to ride back to Colorado via California. Of course in Washington the plates stay with the Vehicle. When I got home I cut the plates in a few pieces and sent the PO a picture of the destroyed plates. Of course remember to ride responsible and not get stopped for being stupid. Getting a Temp Tag in Colorado is a real pain in the Butt.

Chuck Henderson
(US Army RET)
(Forever Home Colorado)
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER

14 FJR1300A (Ruby Red)
19 Versys 1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
Chucksklrst is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome