Need to shorten sidestand after 3/4" lowering work - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
stevet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA
Posts: 2,153
Need to shorten sidestand after 3/4" lowering work

Hi All,

I recently installed 3/4" lowering links out back, and dropped the front end the same 3/4". Working great, feet now flat on the ground and a bit easier to mount and dismount.

But the side stand is holding the bike up too high. There is lean, but I can literally tip the bike over on its right side by simply pressing down on the right saddlebag, or getting on the bike with a bit too much vigor- almost lost it one day just getting on! (Haven't let it fall, but it takes very little effort to get it to go over.) I've got Pelican 1440's out in the back, total system is estimated to be putting another 55 pounds onto the rear end. Just that weight compresses the suspension a little bit, which compounds the bike wanting to lean back over to the right with such little effort as the side stand stands the bike up farther as the suspension is compressed. (Would adjusting the rear shock to firm it up help me here? What would I be adjusting, and where- knob or shock body?)

I need to shorten the side stand. I'm going to search for a second hand side stand and modify it. I want to keep the stocker in stock shape, just in case...

Now, outside of simple arithmetic, I can't do any advanced math. At first blush, I'd want to shorten the side stand 3/4" just like I did for the suspension, but something in my brain is telling me 3/4" off the side stand would be too much.

I need a math brain out there- if you were shortening a side stand, how much overall length decrease would you shoot for to obtain approximately the original lean as was delivered to me by the factory?

Read message 7 of this thread- he went 3/4" shorter. Thoughts?
https://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/s...ight=sidestand

Thanks in advance!

Steve.
Twin Cities, MN, USA
'18 DL650XT, previously '07 DL650 and others
"With the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit happiness comes responsibility, to yourself and others. With responsibility comes accountability. Without responsibility, without accountability, we cannot and will not be a free and civilized society."
-Me, Steve T.
stevet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
$tromtrooper
 
janiceclanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet View Post
Hi All,

I recently installed 3/4" lowering links out back, and dropped the front end the same 3/4". Working great, feet now flat on the ground and a bit easier to mount and dismount.

But the side stand is holding the bike up too high. There is lean, but I can literally tip the bike over on its right side by simply pressing down on the right saddlebag, or getting on the bike with a bit too much vigor- almost lost it one day just getting on! (Haven't let it fall, but it takes very little effort to get it to go over.) I've got Pelican 1440's out in the back, total system is estimated to be putting another 55 pounds onto the rear end. Just that weight compresses the suspension a little bit, which compounds the bike wanting to lean back over to the right with such little effort as the side stand stands the bike up farther as the suspension is compressed. (Would adjusting the rear shock to firm it up help me here? What would I be adjusting, and where- knob or shock body?)

I need to shorten the side stand. I'm going to search for a second hand side stand and modify it. I want to keep the stocker in stock shape, just in case...

Now, outside of simple arithmetic, I can't do any advanced math. At first blush, I'd want to shorten the side stand 3/4" just like I did for the suspension, but something in my brain is telling me 3/4" off the side stand would be too much.

I need a math brain out there- if you were shortening a side stand, how much overall length decrease would you shoot for to obtain approximately the original lean as was delivered to me by the factory?

Read message 7 of this thread- he went 3/4" shorter. Thoughts?
https://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/s...ight=sidestand

Thanks in advance!
How about putting 3/4'' board under both tires and trying out the stand to see if you get the lean you want? Dunno if the angle thing would work out exactly right, but I think it'd go a long way in getting the info you need.




1979 GL1000 Goldwing / 1992 Nighthawk 250 - Baby
2003 DL1000 - Priscilla / 1997 Concours - Ms. Piggy
2002 DL1000 - Fluffy the Torque Monster (Deceased)
2003 DL1000 - Freya, Queen of the Valkyries
janiceclanfield is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
stevet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA
Posts: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceclanfield View Post
How about putting 3/4'' board under both tires and trying out the stand to see if you get the lean you want? Dunno if the angle thing would work out exactly right, but I think it'd go a long way in getting the info you need.
Freakin' brilliant!!! See, guys, where would we be without the sharp mind of a good woman?

I will do this tomorrow evening, Janice, and report back what I discover. I'll mess around with a few different boards of different thicknesses to see what works out.

Steve.
Twin Cities, MN, USA
'18 DL650XT, previously '07 DL650 and others
"With the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit happiness comes responsibility, to yourself and others. With responsibility comes accountability. Without responsibility, without accountability, we cannot and will not be a free and civilized society."
-Me, Steve T.
stevet is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
stevet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA
Posts: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwinz View Post
This may not seem like a good deal to you but I've got a stock stand that has lowered itself through use. I bet it would work just right on yours, if you want to trade. I may not make it to the tech day on the Strom though since the right fork has puked all of its oil out and I need to get it in the shop for seals. The sonic springs just arrived and I should have a DL1000 shock with a new Hyperpro spring in a week or so. I may ride up on the DR.

Bob W.
Hi Bob,

Uh, sounds like you've got a well used stand strapped to that bike of yours. I don't think I'd want to swap for my nearly new one (I want to keep the current stand for future use or a new owner that may want to raise the bike in the future). Wonder how much a new one costs? I'll search around for a used one.

Anyone have one laying on a shelf that is no longer in use?

Hope to see you Saturday!

Steve.
Twin Cities, MN, USA
'18 DL650XT, previously '07 DL650 and others
"With the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit happiness comes responsibility, to yourself and others. With responsibility comes accountability. Without responsibility, without accountability, we cannot and will not be a free and civilized society."
-Me, Steve T.
stevet is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Squamish B.C Canada
Posts: 4,451
Easy fix. Just grind down the stop to allow the side stand to swing forward more. Not much is needed and it will probably still be very serviceable with the stock height.

05 / 650 in blue
88 / KDX 200 in green
81/82 DT 175 Yamahussies
79/SP 370 Suzuki-bad bike-no keep
78/ GT 750 water pumper
75/Suzuki 125 RV
water warrior is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
MightyShep
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceclanfield View Post
How about putting 3/4'' board under both tires and trying out the stand to see if you get the lean you want? Dunno if the angle thing would work out exactly right, but I think it'd go a long way in getting the info you need.
I dunno, maybe buy a shorter bike? LOL!
post #7 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
LarryB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hermitage/Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by water warrior View Post
Easy fix. Just grind down the stop to allow the side stand to swing forward more. Not much is needed and it will probably still be very serviceable with the stock height.
Or grind down the spot on the stand where it contacts the stop. Then if you ever put the bike back up to stock height (to maybe sell it), all you need to do is replace the stand and everything is back to normal.

[I]If you're not moving forward, you're probably in somebody's way![/I]

Current ride:
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE, Cerulean Silver
2005 Suzuki DL1000, blue - sold
LarryB is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 AM
$tromtrooper
 
nvr2old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greenacres, Wa.
Posts: 2,409
Steve, Ron Ayers lists it for $74.22. Kinda spendy

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
nvr2old is online now  
post #9 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 800
Steve, when I had my bike lowered one inch I ground the stops of my kickstand to let it go forward further and allow additional lean. I have removed the lowering links and traded them for something else.

Want to change kick stands on Saturday?
JayR is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 800
Steve, for some reason it won't let me edit my previous post.

On Saturday you will see that the extra lean when you raise it back up is not that severe. I am willing to trade if you want. My bike only has 10,150 miles bought Dec. 06.
JayR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome