"Winter" gear for Southeast - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Steven Fowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 39
"Winter" gear for Southeast

Just moving from New England to Georgia this is my first attempt at year round riding.

I have a 2013 V-Strom 650 My plan is to install a larger wind screen and hand guards. I do not plan on running the bike fast, will be used for more technical riding (raced motocross for years).

Looking for recommendations on:
- Helmet
- 4 season 2 piece suite
- gloves
- riding boots
- electric jacket/vest ( as needed for when I travel out of the state to colder places).

I am 5'11" / 180# / 40 chest / 35" waist / 33" inseam / 9.5 shoe

Would like to have Low $, moderate $$, and high end $$$ options.

This may be more detail than you need but here are my projected riding habits:

Temperature:
80* = 30% time
70* = 20% time
60* = 20% time
50* = 20% time
40* = 10% time

Rain:
0-20% chance - 70% time
20-75% chance = 20% time
75-100% chance= 10% time

Roads:
On Road = 85% time
Off Road = 15% time

Speeds:
0-20mph = 20% time
20-40mph = 40% time
40-60mph = 30% time
60-80mph = 10% time

Ride length:
1-2 hrs = 60% time
2-4 hrs = 30% time
4-8 hrs = 10% time

Thanks in advance !

Stromboli (aka Steven) V-Strom 650, CR250R, ZRX 1100
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Steven Fowler; 09-25-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Steven Fowler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Dino M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 969
How long is your commute or ride and at what speed?
Dino M is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
RWJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: LA
Posts: 153
Tiez Motorsports makes a Lombard($500) suit that is 4 season, Aerostitch($1000++) also makes the best one. Like Dino asked, depends on time, distance, and speed.

04 DL650
RWJC is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bikehigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Living In A Van Down By The Schuylkill River
Posts: 334
I ride all year, many days when the temps don't get out of the 30s, and some where they start in the 10s and don't get out of the 20s. I wear the same Tourmaster jacket and pants I do in spring and fall, just with more layers and a Tournaster heated vest. Layers include zipping in the linings, thermal tights, Powerstretch pullover, long underwear. Heated grips are a must of course, as is a balaclava. On the coldest days, I'll wear pac boots, and install the hippo hands.

The point is that I don't think a special winter suit is needed. Just add to what you already have as the need arises.
Bikehigh is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Steven Fowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 39
I updated the first post.

Stromboli (aka Steven) V-Strom 650, CR250R, ZRX 1100
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Steven Fowler; 09-25-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Steven Fowler is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bikehigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Living In A Van Down By The Schuylkill River
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Fowler View Post
Hope this helps...

Temperature:
80* = 50% time
70* = 20% time
60* = 15% time
50* = 10% time
40* = 5% time

Rain:
0-20% chance - 70% time
20-75% chance = 25% time
100% chance= 5% time

Speeds:
0-45mph = 20% time
44-65mph = 60% time
65-80mph = 20% time

Will have wind screen and hand guards installed.
Heated grips and a heated vest should be added to that list. Together with three season gloves, and putting the linings in your gear, and you're covered for the conditions listed.
Bikehigh is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 583
I can agree with most of what has been posted. However I have been disappointed with heated grips (too hot on palm, cold on top) and have found heated gloves keep me smiling, even on the coldest days here in the southeast.
keetmanaa is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
PTRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington, the state
Posts: 7,437
Forget about the same gear for every day. You need mesh gear in your summers, and wind & waterproof gear for cool and cold weather. You can always layer under the gear for warmth.

Jeans are good only for avoiding sunburn. They immediately tear if you go down. Wear real riding pants with reinforced knees and hip & knee armor. Armored gloves. Coat with spine, elbow, shoulder armor. Protective boots. You never know when a driver will do something stupid in front of you, and you end up sliding along the pavement.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
PTRider is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 05:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baltic, Ct
Posts: 6,638
Gerbing with a rheostat
richw is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Hammerdown77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 374
I rode through North Alabama winter last year/this year. At the time all I had was a mesh jacket with two liners (wind/waterproof, thermal), Joe Rocket Alter Ego overpants, TCX X-Move waterproof boots (not, in fact, waterproof), and some A*stars winter gloves. I have heated grips on my bike and if it was below 45 and I was riding longer than 30 minutes, my hands still got cold. Legs hardly every got cold, but my arms still did.

Trying to run mesh gear with liners is not ideal. Running them with heated gear is much better, but you still basically have "air conditioning" that you can never turn completely off.

This year, I will have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket, which, in the few chances I had to wear it when it was below 50, seems to work much better. For rides longer than 30 minutes to an hour in temps below 45, I'm going to be running heated gear this year. Especially gloves. My hands are always cold, so I'm the perfect candidate for some heated gloves.

I'd say get some non-mesh overpants and a non-mesh jacket (the Kilimanjaro is really nice, has D30 armor, but the Jaunt T2 is also a good winter jacket, as well as Tourmaster's Transition 3).

Livin' the dream
Hammerdown77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome