What makes a "high mileage" bike? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 18
What makes a "high mileage" bike?

Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread, but I'm not very adept at searching.

I'm considering selling my beloved 2007 WeeStrom. I do a lot of two-up riding and would like a newer Wee (Glee?) with ABS. That, and my wife finds Tadpole the ugliest motorcycle on the planet (she really likes the looks of the newer generation). My bike only has 45,000 miles on it, mostly touring. When I mention that to my sport bike and Harley buddies they think I'm crazy expecting to get anything for a bike with such high mileage. I am baffled since we're only talking about 6,500 miles a year. I did some research and KBB says 13,475 is normal mileage for an under 750cc street machine (30,800 for an over 750cc touring bike is their norm). Huh??

So... what would you do? Try to sell it for several hundred under Blue Book or just wait and hope somebody who knows these bikes will come along and not be phased by the mileage? Would leaving most of the farkles on the bike help? Thanks in advance for all your sage advice.

Steve
2007 DL650 "Tadpole"
2000 VFR800
Mwalimu Steve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eureka, Calif
Posts: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwalimu Steve View Post
Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread, but I'm not very adept at searching.

I'm considering selling my beloved 2007 WeeStrom. I do a lot of two-up riding and would like a newer Wee (Glee?) with ABS. That, and my wife finds Tadpole the ugliest motorcycle on the planet (she really likes the looks of the newer generation). My bike only has 45,000 miles on it, mostly touring. When I mention that to my sport bike and Harley buddies they think I'm crazy expecting to get anything for a bike with such high mileage. I am baffled since we're only talking about 6,500 miles a year. I did some research and KBB says 13,475 is normal mileage for an under 750cc street machine (30,800 for an over 750cc touring bike is their norm). Huh??

So... what would you do? Try to sell it for several hundred under Blue Book or just wait and hope somebody who knows these bikes will come along and not be phased by the mileage? Would leaving most of the farkles on the bike help? Thanks in advance for all your sage advice.

Steve
2007 DL650 "Tadpole"
2000 VFR800
You have to understand that for most people, a motorcycle is a toy. It's rarely ridden and serves only as a phallic projection that allows them to fantasize about exploring the world. However, those people all think they are bad ass riders that lay down a lot of miles, even though they might be doing 1,000 miles a year. To that end, 45,000 miles is a ridiculous amount of miles. I mean, who could possibly rack that many miles up????

Is 45,000 really a lot on a liquid cooled modern motor? Um, no. But to prospective buyers who slot into the above category, it will be.

My suggestion is to strip the bike of farkles, sell them off, then list the bike. You may end up having to sell it at a slight loss to move it, but the sale of the accessories should offset that. Who knows, you might find the 1:10 buyer who isn't a pogue, and he might give you what it's worth...
MeefZah is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,604
Garage
I have nothing to add other than I totally agree with Meefzah!!!

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is online now  
 
post #4 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
V-Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,748
High mileage? My 2012 DL650 has more mileage than that!

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.


V-Tom is online now  
post #5 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
You have to understand that for most people, a motorcycle is a toy.
nailed it.
Rashnak is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 PM
$tromtrooper
 
iamsmiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lost Angeles, Peoples Republic of California
Posts: 7,753
Garage
Yep, MeefZah pretty much nailed it
iamsmiling is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Moderator
 
Rudderfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Westerville Ohio
Posts: 1,324
There's a mid-2000s V-Strom 650 at Iron Pony with 127k miles on it. I bet it has sold a lot of other V-Stroms for them. :beatnik:

2019 KTM 790 Adv R, 2013 Beta 350RR, 1991 XR250L

Last edited by Rudderfeet; 04-22-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Rudderfeet is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM
$tromtrooper
 
chicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: bishop, CA
Posts: 3,363
MeefZah says it well. Two kinds of motorcycle owners....them that rides 'em and them that uses them as a fashion accessory. aka sidewalk commandos.
chicago is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

My suggestion is to strip the bike of farkles, sell them off, then list the bike. You may end up having to sell it at a slight loss to move it, but the sale of the accessories should offset that. Who knows, you might find the 1:10 buyer who isn't a pogue, and he might give you what it's worth...
Thanks, MeefZah, I think that's what I will end up doing - once I see which, if any, of the farkles will fit the newer 650. I do feel that 45,000 isn't all that many miles - I let my old Concours go with a little under 100,000 but that was to a friend who had owned one before and felt the bike was barely broken in. I suspect most weekend bikers would have felt it was ready for the scrap pile
Mwalimu Steve is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 04-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 164
You might also trying selling it here since most of the folks here realize that there's generally lots of life in a strom with 45k on it. I bought mine from another memeber on this site.

mikeg

K5 Wee (Blue)
mikeg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome